Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hamilton Township, NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
........better than Brodering I guess.

Broder (v.) [browd-er]:

1) to intentionally strand oneself on the side of the road, more specifically in an electric vehicle
2) to create such a situation and pathway as to meet your end goals
3) to be so stupid as to not realize that a high tech company is monitoring your "evaluation"

Reference for newbies: http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/most-peculiar-test-drive

Last edited:
> [brawd-er] [rjcbox]

Should be [browd-er] or did I miss something. Do I need to correct the voice in my head?!

Hamilton SC: Looks like these bays are accessible from either side - for twice the availability. Is this a first?
--

But you can access it from both sides right ? That's the way it looks to me anyway ...

Possibly. The cords are very short. However the same issue exists whether the parking spaces are all in a row or back to back because each space has a supercharger. In the structure below, if all six spaces are being ICED, you're still out of luck. You might be able to stretch the last on the left to another space, but this would be similar if all the spaces are in a row.

photo-15.JPG

When I was there last Saturday the utility had not done any hookup (can see at right side of photo I posted the large gray roughed-in conduit protruding from ground) so unlikely they will be up by tomorrow.

As for reaching other spaces with the new layout, my experience with other Superchargers is the cable barely reaches the intended spot so I would say an ICE'd spot is blocked for that charger.

Ok, so. Looks like I lucked out when I got there this afternoon.....

20140415_150443-1280.jpg

Two people working on the station when I walked up (left Model S is the one they're using to test, I'm on the right), soon to be three... One of them was from Tesla.

Turns out they were prepping for some kind of inspection and had just put the units live, temporarily, for testing. I was told I am officially the first customer to use the station. :biggrin:

20140415_150553-1280.jpg

I hung around and chatted with the folks there (Electrician, Tesla tech/rep, and ... I forget the other person's title... something with UL.)

20140415_150638.jpg

I didn't really *need* a charge, so, didn't get to see that magic 135 kW.

They were testing the stations, and since I was hanging around I figured I'd help out. Tesla tech said sure and had me move to another stall.

20140415_152332-1280.jpg

First attempt at that stall was red rings for both cars (charger 2). He called Tesla and they did something, and in a few minutes it was working.

20140415_153201-1280.jpg

20140415_153213-1280.jpg

20140415_153744-1280.jpg

Snapped a pic of the inside of the super charger boxes...

20140415_152442-1280.jpg

They're water cooled.

Was going to take more pictures, but, didn't want to be too rude.

Long story short, the stations are NOT yet open. They shut down the power again right after I unplugged. (I didn't really need a charge...)

The guy from Tesla said that it should be opening next week some time and that there likely will be a ribbon cutting because it will be the first in NJ and the 100th supercharger.

- - - Updated - - -

Some notes:

I did try to see if a cable would reach to any spot other than the one designated to it... not a chance. They're just too short. If you got *very* close on the 4th spot (where some ICE vehicles are in my pics), perhaps inches from the third spot you *might* be able to use stall 3's cable, but it didn't look promising. (Couldn't try that due to the ICE vehicles)

Signage is up. No ICE'd spots when I got there and it was reasonably busy. So maybe it will be enough.

This site is not the quickest to get to off of the highway compared to some. (Took me about 9 minutes to get from exit 5A on 195 to the station... not even a couple of miles, due to traffic and lights).
TO get to it you want to get off of 195 @ 5A, at the light stay all the way to the right. Take the huge jug-handle (u-turn) around to make jump across Rt-130 into the complex... right at the next light. Head straight and Barnes and Noble will be on the right not far up. Easy to get to the stations via the back entrance to B&N.

I mention directions because I could see people taking a bit to find it. Its not very straightforward.

It also appears that these stations use a higher amperage charge at higher state-of-charge than the others I've been to. Not much, but noticeable. The Tesla tech did ask if I was on "the latest firmware" before I plugged in. (I'm on 5.9).

> I did try to see if a cable would reach to any spot other than the one designated to it... not a chance. [wok057]

To charge from the other side you would need to park accordingly, forgetting the painted lines.

Here is an 'el-cheapo' SC plan I posted before we saw just how short the SC cables turned out to be. With an SC Extension Cord this would be easy.

2 EVSE covers 12 Parking Spaces:

2evse.12spaces.1.jpg

--