Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hamilton Township, NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla logos painted on the pavement should be a help. Since Tesla doesn't want to tow offenders, maybe they should put some semi heavy pylons in the spaces. It would further alert non Tesla drivers. But more importantly if these drivers had to get out of their car, move the obstruction,. then get back in the car, then park, it would be more trouble than it's worth. Most would rather drive further on. Of course you might have the problem of Tesla drivers not replacing them after they charge.

I didn't check all the spots, but the painted logos were removed before today's ribbon cutting event. It seems the design that was painted was not what Tesla wanted (or possibly changed their mind). I was told by one of the store employees that a different design would be painted soon. We shall see.

The aerial shots indicate there are NO doors on that whole side of the building, so a 'semi-good' location as well as a unique SC design.

> A Roadster 70 Amp HPC, with a security-cabled HPC to MS adapter [Cottonwood]

Yes!, all those old units they ripped out from Store locations could be re-introduced at select locations to establish a foolproof user interface for the Roadster.
--

Last edited:
The aerial shot indicate there are NO doors on that whole side of the building, so a good location as well as a unique SC design.

> A Roadster 70 Amp HPC, with a security-cabled HPC to MS adapter [Cottonwood]

Yes!, all those old units they ripped out from Store locations could be re-introduced at select locations to establish a foolproof user interface for the Roadster.
--

Yes that is correct, this is on the side of the building. Wasn't sure why people kept saying it was out front.

Yes that is correct, this is on the side of the building. Wasn't sure why people kept saying it was out front.

Its still very close to the building. I think if it was in those 6 random spots closest to the road, that would essentially prevent ICING.

We've already seen evidence that the location can be an issue on 4/7 - http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...Marketplace-NJ?p=625538&viewfull=1#post625538

Well just see if the logos on pavement keep them at bay or if they'll be back.

(All but one spot was ICED on 4/7 captured by DFibRL8R)
photo-15.JPG

Its still very close to the building. I think if it was in those 6 random spots closest to the road, that would essentially prevent ICING.

We've already seen evidence that the location can be an issue on 4/7 - http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...Marketplace-NJ?p=625538&viewfull=1#post625538

Well just see if the logos on pavement keep them at bay or if they'll be back.

(All but one spot was ICED on 4/7 captured by DFibRL8R)

I've been to this location many times and long before there was going to be a supercharger there. Personally I don't think they could have put them in a better place than they did. This is basically behind the building and you have to go through the parking lot to even get there. Also pictures of the spots being ICED before any signage and during construction means very little to me. In fact at that point you couldn't even consider them ICED since they are not even complete. They are just parking spaces.

I downgraded the location to 'semi-good' from 'good' due to relative proximity to front door around corner. The ICEing expectations here will depend on what big-box replaces B&N in future. Currently flow of foot traffic is med-low I'm guessing.

Speaking of Tesla Logo sprayed onto SC slots, why not make up a logo of an ICE being towed away. Logo would feature over-sized twin tailpipes. One logo says it all.

If you charge here, next time take up 2 spots and plug into the WRONG charger. Just to see how it would work, i.e. if cable can connect properly without imparting undue twist to chargeport. Enquiring minds want to know. :smile:
--

Forgot to post these earlier. I went back to the supercharger at about 3:15PM that day just to check it out and see if anyone was still lingering. No other Model S there when I got there. :crying:

Within a few minutes the spot behind me was in use. Then a few minutes after that spot 3B was in use by a just-delivered-today P85+.

Another owner showed up (Ed I believe his name was) and we chatted for a little while (~15-20 min). I was there less than 45 minutes all together. Was only planning on stopping in to take some more pics, but ended up talking to other owners and left with 255 rated miles. Forgot to snap a pic first...

Guess it worked out because the headwind was completely crazy heading home. 377 Wh/mi home... 320 Wh/mi on the way to the ceremony in the morning. Still would have been fine though, since when I arrived at 3:15PM I still had 160 rated miles and only a ~50 mile trip back.

It looks like 1A/1B, 2A/2B, 3A/3B are paired back to back at this location. For best charge rate, you will want to pull in to a spot without another MS at your 6.

So when the car backed in behind you, it was using 1B, when you had already started on 1A. Did anyone notice reduced current and if the sum of 1A and 1B was 135 kW?

It looks like 1A/1B, 2A/2B, 3A/3B are paired back to back at this location. For best charge rate, you will want to pull in to a spot without another MS at your 6.

So when the car backed in behind you, it was using 1B, when you had already started on 1A. Did anyone notice reduced current and if the sum of 1A and 1B was 135 kW?

The driver of the car in 1B was the only driver I didn't speak with... didn't get out of the car except to plug in and get back in, so, no idea. I was only charging at ~60kW at the start anyway since I wasn't near empty, so, he could have only gotten 75kW max at first, in theory.

I'd be curious as to how the supercharger cabinet actually handles this split... seems like it would be difficult to actually split up that much power effectively without wearing out large contactors.

I'd be curious as to how the supercharger cabinet actually handles this split... seems like it would be difficult to actually split up that much power effectively without wearing out large contactors.

I'm curious too, but we've a couple of clues:

• The 120kW chargers are/were built out of 12 of the standard 10kW chargers as used in the car - so there's presumably two sets of twelve modest-sized contactors (approx 30A each). Not clear how the new higher power superchargers have been changed - added a couple more chargers, tweaked the max output of the chargers already there, or something else).
  • Standard practice in J1772-DC and CHAdeMO is that you avoid wear on the contactor by commanding in software that the charger sets its output to match the current battery voltage before you close the contactor. Highly likely Tesla does something similar.
  • When charging (from AC) a Model S with twin chargers, the current ramps up on one charger and then the second charger is switched in (is there the clunk of a contactor switching? I don't remember). So that scenario isn't very different from the Supercharger case.

I'm curious too, but we've a couple of clues:

• The 120kW chargers are/were built out of 12 of the standard 10kW chargers as used in the car - so there's presumably two sets of twelve modest-sized contactors (approx 30A each). Not clear how the new higher power superchargers have been changed - added a couple more chargers, tweaked the max output of the chargers already there, or something else).
  • Standard practice in J1772-DC and CHAdeMO is that you avoid wear on the contactor by commanding in software that the charger sets its output to match the current battery voltage before you close the contactor. Highly likely Tesla does something similar.
  • When charging (from AC) a Model S with twin chargers, the current ramps up on one charger and then the second charger is switched in (is there the clunk of a contactor switching? I don't remember). So that scenario isn't very different from the Supercharger case.

~24+ contactors makes for many points of failure... not sure this would be ideal.

I would wonder if perhaps all of the chargers are always in use while charging. Since they can be parallelized and current adjusted pretty accurately, each would produce less heat and be able to maintain some peak efficiency point.

Perhaps a DPDT contactor for each charger to direct the flow between stalls, and a main contactor for each stall. This would also have the added physical protection that would make sure two stalls are never tied together due to a bad contactor or software fault, since only one side of the contactor could be engaged at a time. I believe that the charger itself is mostly solid state, so could be added to the output in its off state, then jump in. Would save wear on the contacts.

Not that 12 contactors is much better than 24, but it would be half the potential points of failure.

Last edited:
The driver of the car in 1B was the only driver I didn't speak with... didn't get out of the car except to plug in and get back in, so, no idea. I was only charging at ~60kW at the start anyway since I wasn't near empty, so, he could have only gotten 75kW max at first, in theory.

Each Supercharger Cabinet does split power between the two charging stalls. So far, every example that I have seen gives full power to the first MS to arrive, and gives any available leftover power to the second to arrive.

My theory, not confirmed, is that each of the 12 or so charging modules has a SPDT relay directing its output to one of two stalls. Because switching high Voltage, high current DC can be problematic, I think that the controller ramps the current out of an individual module down to zero, then switches to the other stall, then ramps the current up. This provides a 1 in 12 granularity in charging between the two stalls. The actual design may be different, but this at least shows it is possible to split the output dynamically without burning up contacts.

Stopped here both Friday and today after work for a quick 15-20 minute charge while I ate some late lunch. Only MS there each time, no spots ICEd. Parking lot was pretty full on Friday too. Was about 3:30PM each time.