Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hamilton Twp, NJ (Richard Stockton & Woodrow Wilson Rest Areas)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The Woodrow Wilson Service Area (northbound side only) closed last week for major renovations and will stay closed until May 2022. No public access during this period, so regardless of Tesla actually finishing the install of the supercharger, it won't be available until the renovations are finished.
Strangely, Tesla has updated their Find Us site to list the Hamilton - Woodrow Wilson Supercharger as open:

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
I think supercharge.info needs to be updated for the Woodrow Wilson rest stop as according to the Tesla map, this site is open.

Find Us
The issue is that the entire northbound rest stop is supposed to be closed to the public during renovations that are on-going until May 2022 (see post #21 of this thread). So, unless and until someone actually goes by there and documents that the superchargers are physically accessible and that they can actually charge, I don't think there should be a change made.

Reactions: Big Earl
The issue is that the entire northbound rest stop is supposed to be closed to the public during renovations that are on-going until May 2022 (see post #21 of this thread). So, unless and until someone actually goes by there and documents that the superchargers are physically accessible and that they can actually charge, I don't think there should be a change made.
Got it, this makes sense! Didn’t realize Woodrow Wilson was being renovated in addition to Molly Pitcher.

Got it, this makes sense! Didn’t realize Woodrow Wilson was being renovated in addition to Molly Pitcher.
I saw a check in from molly pitcher yesterday (Thanksgiving) that said charge successful and 5 open stalls. So at least at that rest stop the chargers are still available if not the rest stop. I'm going down from NJ to Delaware next week, I'll check out the southbound side.

Reactions: Cuttin
Drove down NJ Tpk from Exit 11 on 12/1... Molly Pitcher (8a) is still closed, Stockton and Whitman open, Barton at exit 1 is open for all services. Couldn't see Wilson on the NB side (too many trucks).

FYI Walt Whitman SC has 2 head in stalls, however in a typical turnpike design if you are towing anything it would block the narrow exit lane completely.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
Wilson is definitely 100% closed with jersey barriers.

The nav now shows it as temporarily closed as well.

The real issue though is that the map shows Wilson located where the Stockton one actually is and the Stockton pin is on the opposite side of the parking lot where there is absolutely nothing other than parked cars. Really confusing and zero signage on the ground too.

Wilson is definitely 100% closed with jersey barriers. The nav now shows it as temporarily closed as well.
Thank you for confirming.

@corywright I think there are two options, either leave the pin as a cone until the rest stop re-opens to traffic and the chargers are physically accessible, at which point mark it as open OR recognize that Tesla has actually finished construction on the site, so mark it as open and then immediately as temporarily closed until the rest stop re-opens. Either option seems reasonable to me. The second is probably better if you care a lot about data integrity. The first might be preferable if you think minimizing potential user confusion is more important.

@corywright I think there are two options, either leave the pin as a cone until the rest stop re-opens to traffic and the chargers are physically accessible, at which point mark it as open OR recognize that Tesla has actually finished construction on the site, so mark it as open and then immediately as temporarily closed until the rest stop re-opens. Either option seems reasonable to me. The second is probably better if you care a lot about data integrity. The first might be preferable if you think minimizing potential user confusion is more important.
Thanks @mociaf9. I prefer the second option, and have marked it as temporarily closed. I don't think it is any more confusing to users than it showing as under construction.

Reactions: Lanny and mociaf9
Thanks @mociaf9. I prefer the second option, and have marked it as temporarily closed. I don't think it is any more confusing to users than it showing as under construction.
No, I don't think the status is confusing if someone goes looking for the dot and sees it's closed. I was just expecting to see it double listed in the change log--first showing it changed from construction to open, then immediately after showing it closed. And I thought that would be a situation where people who are less avid followers could be a bit confused or might only see the first change without realizing the opening had been immediately "reversed". etc.

So, no guarantees that the Woodrow Wilson location is finally open now, but there was a successful check-in for it on Plugshare from March 1st. Anyone in the area or driving past the rest stop who can check and confirm whether the superchargers are now accessible?

Also FYI, based on recent plugshare check-ins, the Molly Pitcher rest stop (which was the other location undergoing the same renovations) remains closed at this time.

i don't think it's open. the original schedule was that it would be closed through may, and construction projects rarely end that much sooner. tesla still shows it as closed. finally, the checkin says that it's behind the Sunoco station, but that's not the case at the WW plaza — it's the case for the Stockton plaza on the opposite side of the turnpike though.

• Informative
Reactions: KerryOH and mociaf9
According to an article posted in April on nj.com, they will re-open before July 4th:

The redevelopments of those stations are already underway. The first two — of the Woodrow Wilson and Molly Pitcher Turnpike plazas, in Hamilton and East Windsor, respectively — are expected to be done before the July 4 holiday, officials said.

• Informative
Reactions: Cuttin and mociaf9