Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Handle Hot AF when charging ... and other ???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, as many of you know, I went on a long weekend to Santa Fe NM from Denver this past weekend and had some interesting experiences with SuperChargers along the way.

First, on the way down, I pulled into the Trinidad CO SC, with no one else there, and began to charge. Noticed my Amps were only up to about 100 and charging was slow. So I unplugged and replugged and Voila', the SC started working as normal. 300Amps!

Second, pulled into the SC in Las Vegas, NM and plugged in, again noticed that the amps were very low, but also sounded like my fans on the car were in overdrive (only started when I plugged in, not as I was driving through the parking lot, or even at rest with the AC on, checking in on PlugShare). Unplugged and replugged and got the same thing... fans go into overdrive. Pulled to the next station over, and get high amps and not fans running. Weird....

Then on the way back (and this is the one that troubles me), I stop at the Colorado Springs SC and charge, again fans go crazy but amps are high this time, so I just walk away and go get my Starbucks down the street. BUT, when I come back, I go to unplug and the handle on the SC is HOT AF! The SC is in a garage and in the shade, so it wasn't solar-related. And in all the cases above, the car never threw an error, so I assumed that no matter what, I didn't damage the car.

So... some weird stuff going on there, so just wondering if any of this is typical, and or was there some other action I should have taken (call Tesla and reported the SC, or ???).

The hot handle I'd definitely report. The mostly likely explanation for that is a bad connection to the car - either a loose fit or some corrosion on one side (presumably the SpC side since you didn't have that experience elsewhere.) Tesla needs to know about it so they can fix it (most likely by replacing the cable, I'd think.)

Fans in overdrive in a hot place with a presumably warm battery trying to swallow lots of power makes sense. I'm not sure why it didn't happen the third time.