Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hannibal, MO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Placing a supercharger station in Hannibal Missouri would be very beneficial in opening a route between St Louis and Iowa. There is also a river crossing at Hannibal to allow travel into Illinois from central Missouri.

The trip between the St. Charles, MO Supercharger and and Iowa City Supercharger is 240 miles which is difficult in a LR Model 3 and impossible in an SR+ car or most Model X variants. A Hannibal Supercharger would open this important route.

Currently we are forced to use a 14-50 at a RV park.

Google Maps of the location: Google Maps

If anyone else desires this, please pass it along to Tesla at [email protected]

Agree completely. Its one of the big missing locations in the region that need a Super Charger. Right up there with Waterloo Iowa and Peoria Illinois. I went through the Hannibal/Quincy area myself a while back and arrived at the St Charles SC with more charge than abetterrouteplanner had thought, but thats because more of the route on the Illinois side is 55 than it thinks.

It is a little bit of a detour, but there is a 50kw CHAdeMO charger at Burlington Iowa which ABRP doesn't know about and topping up to 95% there may still be quicker than the 14-50 further down the road. Though there are so few CHAdeMO chargers in the area the price tag is still difficult to justify, but if you're making that trip a lot it may be worth having.

Back in 2015, when we were getting our Model S and regularly traveling STL to IA, I contacted the Mt Pleasant Chamber of Commerce multiple times to see about getting destination chargers set up in town to offer a high-voltage charging option on that route. I offered up Custer SD as an example where the CoC took the ball and ran with it, but had no luck. (Take a look on the tesla.com/findus map at the number of DCs in Custer that all predate the SC by about 3 years to see what I mean). Maybe someone can take a similar approach with Hannibal.

I knew the name Hannibal, MO rang a bell.

@midwestLemur posted in April about Hannibal, MO being in a deadzone.
How do we get Tesla to do something about deadzones?

I still remembered it has Mark Twain's childhood home.

Tesla does have data on where people are charging. So maybe you need to find other Tesla owners and pay them to drive between West Des Moines, IA and St Charles, MO so Tesla sees the need for a Supercharger in Hannibal, MO. :p

Most obvious location in Hannibal, MO would be the mall anchored by the County Market.

• Funny
Reactions: mociaf9
Maybe we just need to start planning regional meetups in places that don't have super chargers.

Hannibal is a bit of a tourist destination, so its not a terrible choice for one anyway and Springfield and STL aren't so far away that we'd need to worry about getting stranded.

Guys!!! We did it!! The 2020 map is now showing Hannibal as a future location!

Supercharger | Tesla

6gz208w.png

And it says "Coming Soon" so you know they really mean it :D
True, no idea how long until it's actually up and running. This location would allow me to travel to SE Iowa in the dead of winter with no more than a 5 minute stop.

Even if I have my car for 20 years and the battery degrades to 70% I can still make my trip with this charger location. SR+ cars suddenly become practical too.

Hello!

First post here for me but I came to celebrate. I've been bugging Tesla for over a year to get a Supercharger in either Hannibal MO or Quincy IL as my wife and I live in Davenport IA and drive down to North Central MO (along 36) multiple times a year to visit her parents. It's a 274 mile drive and in the dead of winter it is impossible to do even with my long range Model 3. We currently have to take a big detour going 80 to Des Moines and down 35 which adds close to an hour. Very excited for this! This connects a big gap that prevents Teslas from driving down the Mississippi from the Davenport/Iowa City area down to Columbia/St. Louis. It also connects Kansas City better with Springfield(IL) or Chicago.

Do you guys think the location on the map is accurate? There doesn't seem to be anything located where the pin is now. I was thinking it would be closer to the 36/61 interchange where there are groceries and restaurants and a little less out of the way.

Do you guys think the location on the map is accurate? There doesn't seem to be anything located where the pin is now. I was thinking it would be closer to the 36/61 interchange where there are groceries and restaurants and a little less out of the way.
Pay no attention to where you see the pin on the map. When pins for new Superchargers are added to the map, they are just centered above the city name. Try looking at any Supercharger that hasn't been built yet and you'll see they are each centered above the city name.

No, it is not accurate.

But it's a common question.

The location for the future Superchargers is simply the middle of the place, or something like the location that comes up in Google if you just enter the name of the town.

There's no guarantee it will be built there, or even built at all.
They'll just try to get a good site, and the mall area with the County Market supermarket could be a target.

As an example, two places in Maine that Tesla listed a year or two ago:
- Baring, ME was just a tiny location between two other places, and ultimately it was built in the obvious place (to somebody familiar with the area) in Baileyville, ME
- West Forks, ME would have been geographically good, but it's tiny and Tesla ended up building in the obvious places of Jackman, ME to the North and Skowhegan, ME to the South.