Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Harris Ranch, CA (18 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just arrived here, having planned this trip months ago to stop here for dinner in the way to LA. All the chargers are down, apparently since last night. I left my level 2 adapter at home and have only 20 miles of range left. In short, I’m screwed.
What about Kettleman City? I guess it is about 28 miles away, but maybe you could do it creeping at 30mph

What about Kettleman City? I guess it is about 28 miles away, but maybe you could do it creeping at 30mph
Yeah, that's probably the "easiest" way. You can get 150% of rated range at a constant 30mph with the hazard lights on. It might annoy everyone else on the freeway, though. Could probably still make it on local roads but it's more dicey. Your roadside service might be able to help out too for a few miles. The J1772 adapter is a must to leave in the car, under the trunk or something, even if it's just to mooch free charging at random destinations.

Bummer. Crappy way to learn lessons.

Either go with the hypermile to KC or just get a tow to KC. The latter will take longer and obviously requires The Stupid Tax…but it seems like a better deal than running out of juice on some back road in the Central Valley…

Just unloading my X now off the tow truck at Kettleman City. Have 100 mile AAA membership, so it was free. Only cost is an extra hour of charging time that was supposed to happen while we were eating. Driver said I was his third tow to Kettleman today.
Oh, I'm glad you got your situation resolved relatively well, outside the extra bit of waiting. I never really thought about it but I guess from now on, I'll triple check the nav status (shows as temp closed right now) before heading out. Have a good and safe trip.

Just unloading my X now off the tow truck at Kettleman City. Have 100 mile AAA membership, so it was free. Only cost is an extra hour of charging time that was supposed to happen while we were eating. Driver said I was his third tow to Kettleman today.
Yeah if you were hanging out at the restaurant for a while anyway and have AAA, that's a decent play, although it still kind of sucks having to ride in a tow truck for a half hour and you never know if they'll **** up your car somehow. I used to have a cheap frugal friend who would call AAA just to get 4 FREE gallons of gas if he knew he would be some place for a while. He wasn't even on Empty, just figured he might as well get some FREE gas :) I guess they will do it up to 4 times a year or something like that, no questions asked.

Another option would have been to hang out until another Tesla showed up and ask to borrow their J1772 or UMC or whatever was necessary assuming there was some other option in the area.

Serious question, did the Nav screen tell you Harris Ranch was down? I know that the info should have been there- but maybe it wasn't- I always have seen that when a whole site is down since they started including the site status in the nav screen. I did get caught once very early on with a whole site down, but had the UMC with me and an RV park within range - Tesla roadside told me about the RV park that was about 20 miles away ( I had 50 miles of range left)

With all the Superchargers along I-5 I'm very surprised you got caught without any options but a tow.

I has been down since at least Wednesday. Maybe something to do with the construction of 60+ new stalls adjacent.
IIRC Tesla has had power quality issues there at Harris Ranch before. And no doubt they need a bunch more power going from 18 V2 posts (~1.35 MW) and then adding another 60 V3 posts (another 5+ MW).

5 MW is not a lot of power in the grand scheme of things, but it's probably at least quite a few multiples of power demand compared to all the businesses in the immediate area. There's a bunch of solar just a few miles east of there, so I bet PG&E is pleased to get more demand in the area and hopefully a few Megapacks, too.

I navigated to the *restaurant*, not to the supercharger. Lesson learned.
Yep that did you in- Hopefully, that lesson was the last time you'll have that sort of problem. Like I said earlier, in 7 years we've arrived at 2 Supercharger station that were down- One due to a utility issue and we were directed to an RV park, and the other due to a thunderstorm knocking power out 8 hours before and it wasn't restored yet- We drove below the speed limit and made the next Supercharger with about 17 miles of range left. These were both several years ago too

Yep that did you in- Hopefully, that lesson was the last time you'll have that sort of problem. Like I said earlier, in 7 years we've arrived at 2 Supercharger station that were down- One due to a utility issue and we were directed to an RV park, and the other due to a thunderstorm knocking power out 8 hours before and it wasn't restored yet- We drove below the speed limit and made the next Supercharger with about 17 miles of range left. These were both several years ago too
I had the thunderstorm issue back in 2017 and was warned by the Nav that the supercharger I was navigating to had gone out of service. Also had another one where I got the same warning and when I arrived at the supercharger another Tesla driver walked up and told me that all the power went out in the parking lot when he plugged in a couple hours prior lol (He was slow charging on a hotel HPWC across the street). Both times I was able to limp to another supercharger. In the latter case, I would have been stuck at the HPWC had I not received the warning as I was fairly low but the warning allowed me to switch to a more direct route.