Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Coalinga, CA (LIVE 15 Dec 2022, 80 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Arbitrage show me the money. I’ve been through Baker and the East Coast there and back. More than twice. I’ve seen 10%.

Maybe check your travel times. Most folks know, travel off the normal. But I’ve only doing this for in an electric car for a decade. Show me pictures and data. Happy to refute.
Most folks travel during peak hours, which is why it's full during peak hours and was what the OP originally asked for. Of course, there's going to be stalls available at super off peak times (which is when you imply you prefer to travel and that's wonderful) and certain times will be more efficient in terms of travel time. There's really nothing to refute.

Not everyone's schedule/personal situation lines up with off-peak travel hours, especially those with larger families ("If we have to leave at 'X AM' to charge, why don't we just take my gas car?") or other limiting factors. It's great that you've been on EVs for a decade and have a good grasp of things. I know people personally that run out of charge and need a tow because they forgot to plug in the car in the garage for days and then leave with barely any charge and then don't supercharge when low ("I thought I could make it") so people of all kinds drive EVs as the overall adoption rate goes up. :) Long term, it should be a "no-planning" experience similar to current gas cars for true mass adoption.

The only real point for this thread is that it's great we're getting the Harris Ranch expansion here. It's super nice to have an option of that size coming up.

It's already in the other thread so getting super off topic here:
b80ecb06-2912-47ad-ba92-e3a0af48e1bb-jpeg.736932

Last edited:
Looks like they are racing to finish by this weekend I see the transformer installed but I don't think they will make it for this holiday weekend unless they put rocks and allow people to drive on it like Kettleman City which is still not paved to my knowledge.

Looks like they are racing to finish by this weekend I see the transformer installed but I don't think they will make it for this holiday weekend unless they put rocks and allow people to drive on it like Kettleman City which is still not paved to my knowledge.
At this point, i think THIS holiday weekend is off the table.. once completed, installed, transformers in, tested and running the power company sign off can takes weeks. If not longer. I think they might be hoping that this can be online for typical summer travel ramp up NORTH SOUTH on the I5, and maybe July 4 weekend.

Most folks travel during peak hours, which is why it's full during peak hours and was what the OP originally asked for. Of course, there's going to be stalls available at super off peak times (which is when you imply you prefer to travel and that's wonderful) and certain times will be more efficient in terms of travel time. There's really nothing to refute.

Not everyone's schedule/personal situation lines up with off-peak travel hours, especially those with larger families ("If we have to leave at 'X AM' to charge, why don't we just take my gas car?") or other limiting factors. It's great that you've been on EVs for a decade and have a good grasp of things. I know people personally that run out of charge and need a tow because they forgot to plug in the car in the garage for days and then leave with barely any charge and then don't supercharge when low ("I thought I could make it") so people of all kinds drive EVs as the overall adoption rate goes up. :) Long term, it should be a "no-planning" experience similar to current gas cars for true mass adoption.

The only real point for this thread is that it's great we're getting the Harris Ranch expansion here. It's super nice to have an option of that size coming up.

It's already in the other thread so getting super off topic here:
b80ecb06-2912-47ad-ba92-e3a0af48e1bb-jpeg.736932
No offense intended for families or those that must travel at peak times.
Carry on with the craziness like we all do!

If full level 5 autonomy becomes a thing, then ideally a family could travel during off-peak hours while they sleep towards their next destination. People already travel during off-peak hours including myself to maximize our vacation time by taking red-eye flights, overnight trains with full bunk beds, and overnight busses with beds.

Moderator note: Moved from another thread.

I couldn't find another thread, everything with Coalinga points to the Harris Ranch projects. Tesla Find us has a "Coalinga Supercharger" one exit north of Harris Ranch, at Fresno College Road. Next to nothing but Solar Panels, it seems. Anyone knows about this?

Maybe that's just a misplaced marker for the Harris Ranch extension (while it's closed, being paved?)

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't find another thread, everything with Coalinga points to the Harris Ranch projects. Tesla Find us has a "Coalinga Supercharger" one exit north of Harris Ranch, at Fresno College Road. Next to nothing but Solar Panels, it seems. Anyone knows about this?

Maybe that's just a misplaced marker for the Harris Ranch extension (while it's closed, being paved?)

From the FAQ:
S2. That’s an odd location to put a Supercharger, why did Tesla do that?

There are a couple of explanations for this. The “coming soon” pins on Tesla’s “find us” map (Find Us | Tesla) are usually placed at the geographic center of the city where the site will be located. This is almost never the actual site of the (future) Supercharger.

The pin is almost certainly for the Harris Ranch mega-expansion, IMO.

BTW, those aren't solar panels if you're looking at Google Maps. It's a huge, stinky cow feedlot. You can't miss it if driving by, unless you have HEPA filters in your Tesla!

The pin that's set on 'Find Us' is usually set to the center of that city and not the actual location of a potential supercharger.

Dang, no destination chargers?? If I could drive there, plug into an AC charger while I have dinner I should be able to unplug after dinner and drive home. I'd go there more often if that was an option.

What you need is an adapter for a Roadster charger.

Harris Roadster.jpg