Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Harris Ranch, CA (18 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
drove by Harris Ranch last week in an ICE, went to get some fuel, moment I got off the off ramp, I regretted it. The cow ranch couple of miles north just stinks so bad. Who the moron at Tesla chose this location ?
I didn't even bother pulling into the gas station, nor visit Tesla supercharger. smell was so foul....

the other thread (about Gilory) mentioned that Harris Ranch has only 1 charger ? is this true ? if so, you guys are brave for attempting California run. Gilroy to Tejon ranch supercharger is 228 miles. Folsom to Tejon Ranch is 321 miles. so for any reason Harris Ranch supercharger breaks down, what you gonna do ? have the car towed where ?

I guess another solution is to drive into a RV camp ground for a charge ?

Um. Question or comment somewhere in here?

... complaint... complaint... complaint... complaint...

I hear Harris Ranch is a nice place to stop for lunch or dinner. Maybe not such a great place to stand outside and enjoy the lack of scenery? Doesn't sound like a good place to refuel an ICE.

Unlike an ICE vehicle, you don't have to stand by the car while it refuels you can go inside an establishment while it charges
as of right now yes there is only 1 charger there
I believe there's a 70amp charger there as well.

Never heard of any reports on the supercharger being out of service, luckily more are coming soon

I was also kinda disappointed with the fact that there's only 1 charging station there. However, it's nice that there are some good restaurants on that street such that you won't have to settle for fast food. I would've liked it if the charger wasn't in a gas station though; right next to the bathroom no less.

Last time I drove by, some guy in a Scion was parked in the supercharger spot; obviously they don't have sufficient security.

I stopped there in my ICE last week and was told by a worker at the supercharging building that more superchargers were being installed "next month".
How do we confirm this from Tesla?

I believe JB confirmed this in an interview last week. If I can find the link, I'll post it. But he said it was a 'difficult sell' to get even just the one there. Is why there's only one. But now the owners realize they should allow more and Tesla is obliging.

i am planning a trip down to SoCal next week and will need to stop by Harris Ranch to supercharge. It's ~150 miles from my home so plan to do a normal charge at home and then a range charge at harris ranch.

Does anybody know if the harris ranch supercharger has certain hours of operation or is it open all the time? also, do we need to see an attendant for a key or can we just pull up and plugin?

We spent over $100 at the Harris Ranch Inn, for a meal for my wife, daughter and I when we did the factory pickup. if the SuperCharger wasn't there, we would not have stopped there.

Perhaps 100 Model S owners will stop there each month and do the same, and you're talking over $100K in annual revenue.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anybody know if the harris ranch supercharger has certain hours of operation or is it open all the time? also, do we need to see an attendant for a key or can we just pull up and plugin?

Open 24 hours a day, no key required, just plug in. I believe I heard there is a sign-in list in the SubWay, where you can leave a phone # so others can call you when it's your turn/your charge is over, but I didn't know about this, or it wasn't in affect in late December.

Um. Question or comment somewhere in here?

... complaint... complaint... complaint... complaint...

I hear Harris Ranch is a nice place to stop for lunch or dinner. Maybe not such a great place to stand outside and enjoy the lack of scenery? Doesn't sound like a good place to refuel an ICE.

yes complaints, and Tesla needs to hear it.

1 charger is not acceptable. things break. how often have you seen a gas pump out of order ? and that's with an attendant. There is no attendant with Tesla Supercharger.
surprised no one here complaint about the smell from the cow farm 3.5 miles north of it. it is really foul....I would not have any appetite.

1 charger is not acceptable. things break. how often have you seen a gas pump out of order ? and that's with an attendant. There is no attendant with Tesla Supercharger.
surprised no one here complaint about the smell from the cow farm 3.5 miles north of it. it is really foul....I would not have any appetite.
You do realize that Tesla isn't in complete control over how many get placed there. The landowner has to agree. And as I mentioned Tesla wanted to put more there, but had to fight just to get one. They explained how it would be good for the businesses in the. Area, and finally were allowed to put one in. Nw the owners are asking Tesla to put more in. And they are.

Should they have just put none there instead until they could put more? Which is questionable they would be able to until the owner saw the benefits first hand.

The last time I was at Harris Ranch I didn't notice any smell. Perhaps it was just that time of year. In either case, the location is pretty solid and I can forgive the smell so long as there's somewhere nice indoors to go to.

I would've preferred superchargers on highway 1 and 101 though. Those are the places I'd prefer to drive a Model S.

Stopped by Folsom Sunday morning about 10 AM and all 4 stations were empty. Pulled in, plugged in, had a cup of coffee at McDonalds and in a half hour gained 140 miles. Simply fabulous, thank you, thank you TMC.

Attachments

• Tesla at Folsom Supercharger.jpg
    Tesla at Folsom Supercharger.jpg
    918.9 KB · Views: 803
I got a chuckle out of this thread. Yes, there need to be more Superchargers. We all know that. Tesla knows it too.

Most customers don't have a Supercharger within a thousand miles of them yet--so be thankful for what you have. California has the most dense charging network anywhere in the country. Be thankful :). That's right, the rest of us chumps actually have to pay for our electricity :scared:.

Yes, they're adding more in March.

- - - Updated - - -

As we have said, they are installing more next month. And the smell? I grew up in Oklahoma. Back there they call that "the smell of money."

• Funny
Reactions: Ciaopec
...surprised no one here complaint about the smell from the cow farm 3.5 miles north of it. it is really foul....I would not have any appetite.

Harris Ranch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Public reception

The ranch is known to travelers for the "ripe, tangy odor of cow manure", described alternately as a "horrible stench"[SUP][9][/SUP] and "a good, honest, American smell".[SUP][10][/SUP] Food writer Michael Pollan was inspired to conduct the research on factory farming that led to his seminal sustainability book, The Omnivore's Dilemma, by the smell.[SUP][9][/SUP] The owner of Harris Ranch, in turn, threatened to withhold a $500,000 donation to California Polytechnic University if it sponsored a speech there by Pollan.[SUP][11][/SUP] In reference to the large number of cattle processed at its facilities, some critics[SUP][12][/SUP] have nicknamed the ranch "Cowschwitz",[SUP][9][/SUP] comparing the slaughtering of cows to the slaughtering of Jews during the Holocaust at the Auschwitz concentration camp.[SUP][4][/SUP][SUP][13][/SUP][SUP][14][/SUP][SUP][15][/SUP][SUP][16][/SUP] Animal behavior expert Temple Grandin described the nickname as a matter of public misperception, saying that the company "does a great job" of keeping its animals

• Funny
Reactions: Ciaopec