Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Harris Ranch, CA (18 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We were just at Harris Ranch 10:20am - 1130am, arrived with 44 rated miles. We plugged into 9A, saw charge rate of 93kW, decided that was OK as it was 97F, went inside to order breakfast. I came out after 19 minutes. Car was at 129 rated miles but charge rate was only 63kW. I moved to stall 8A, charge rate was 110kW and tapered normally until we left with 264 rated miles 48 minutes later.

I reported this to Tesla roadside service.

Last edited:
I will be at this Supercharger next Monday to see for myself, but is the total stall count now 20 or 18?

Was there today. Counted only 18. Unless they are hidden somewhere else? 2A only put out 28kw with no one in the paired charger. Moved to 7a. Got 108kw.

Harris ranch is doing just fine with these in their parking lot. Saw a number of tesla owners buying steaks and other items in their country store.

The Superchargers here are pretty quiet early in the morning...

IMG_4333.JPG

Was there twice this week, on Tuesday night, then mid-day on Thursday. Both times, just 2 or 3 other cars charging.
In Thursday, this was lunch time, and the parking lots (all around) were packed. Plenty of ICE cars prowling, wondering if they could park there.

Seeing as both times I was looking for grab-and-go, I went inside to see the options. That is when a helpful employee in the small shop told me what amounts to a bit of a secret for us: the Shell gas station has a Harris Ranch Express counter! I would have never noticed it, since I don't have any reason to go that way. I do now!
The brisket was fantastic for dinner, and Thursday's tri-tip sandwich rocked it while I drove back towards Gustine.
I also walked around, and finally understood where the battery swapping stayed used to be (further towards the highway on the Shell lot).

Final note on this trip report: when I showed up on Tuesday, I found that 7B was giving me a reduced rate. Moved to 8A, and same thing: 64 kW on a battery at 3% SOC. Uhh...
So I went to get food, while talking to Tesla roadside: the helpful gentlemen did a quick troubleshoot and explained that not only were those chargers hot (8B he told me would have been fine), but my car was also hot. Fair.
(I should have asked for actual numbers)

We both agreed that this is in part because I-5 is very fast, and I pulled in with a hot running car. So on the way back on Thursday, I moved to the right lane a mile or so before the exit for Harris Ranch, which dropped my speed a good 20 MPH. I then went for the exact same stall (8A) and got full Supercharging speed.
This is only one test, but may be worth doing anyway, as you really don't lose more than a few seconds by slowing down for a mile or two, and you give your car a bit of time to cool off.

I think it's normal to get a reduced charging rate when the SOC is <10%. My car has been like that since day 1.
I'm fairly sure this is what happened to e-FTW. We drive about as fast as traffic will permit, and most times when we pull into a supercharger with 10-20% charge we go right up to 100kW+ within a minute or so. I have a vague impression that it does start slower when I'm really low, like under 5%.

Most of the slow charge incidents I've had have the pattern discussed many times here. It charges normally for 3-5 minutes, then crashes to the 60kW range. Then I move to a different charger and it's usually normal. Most of the time the handle of the crashed charger is hot to the touch when I remove it. I don't think there's much question after over a year of these reports that slow charging is due to the superchargers being too hot, mostly from intense use but clearly aggravated by hot weather.

I do emphasize that this issue has yet to inconvenience and a materially slow us down on our travels. Reading this forum has alerted me to be diligent and monitor the charge rate on my phone for the first few minutes. Only a few times have I needed to switch chargers and in nearly all cases I've found a charger that works normally.

I now call Tesla Roadside every time I find a slow charger, as hopefully the number of such reports puts the offending unit in the queue for maintenance. AFAIK this is how Tesla is addressing the problem so far: get out and fix the worst offenders. I have neither seen nor read that there is a design solution yet. Thus I'm becoming less optimistic that we will see 350kW charging anytime soon. If Tesla can't design the current superchargers to be trouble free with intense use/hot weather, how much more difficult will heat management be for 2.5x the charging rate?

Reactions: e-FTW
I'm actually happy to hear that superchargers are slowing down because of overheated handles. I've wondered for a long time what kind of protection is in those connectors. If I were designing them they'd have 1) thermal sensors and 2) the computers in the car and charger would constantly compare power flows (or voltages) to detect any loose connections between them. But I've never learned what they actually do.

You are responding to posts made in 2017. Anyone who wants to discuss the questions raised by @ka9q is welcome to do so in the Charging Standards and Infrastructure thread. Thanks.
I'm actually happy to hear that superchargers are slowing down because of overheated handles. I've wondered for a long time what kind of protection is in those connectors. If I were designing them they'd have 1) thermal sensors and 2) the computers in the car and charger would constantly compare power flows (or voltages) to detect any loose connections between them. But I've never learned what they actually do.