Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Harris Ranch, CA (18 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Temporary Supercharger stalls still there earlier this evening.

IMG_20150706_191014.jpg

Has anyone made the I5 trip lately, and can tell me if it's an issue with crowds on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon? I'm wondering if I need to either leave earlier or later in the day to avoid having to wait at the site.

I was there about 5 pm on a Sunday two weeks ago and got the last space. When I left at ~6:30 after dinner I was almost the only one there. I believe there was one other car, so go figure.

I was by there today for lunch (in my ICE car.) Two cars charging when we arrived, and a different two had just pulled in when we left. There were some little red flags and some orange paint sprayed to the right of the permanent chargers - like they will be expanding in that direction.

Also walked over and took a look at the swapping station. Three cars parked outside, and one with MFR plates inside. Couple of guys in there doing something with the car, but they didn't look like they were in any great hurry.

Sounds like I might have to avoid dinner time there?

I wouldn't really put it that way. Its really much more luck of the draw with Harris. Its got to be one of the most visited chargers between two major population centers, and basically every Tesla going up/down the 5 has to stop there. And...it has spotty facility power being delivered to only 6 stalls...which are some of the oldest in the network.

As has been said many times, you're much more likely to find a crowded station during the typical bay<-->LA travel times, but within those times it really is hit or miss.

I wouldn't really put it that way. Its really much more luck of the draw with Harris. Its got to be one of the most visited chargers between two major population centers, and basically every Tesla going up/down the 5 has to stop there. And...it has spotty facility power being delivered to only 6 stalls...which are some of the oldest in the network.

As has been said many times, you're much more likely to find a crowded station during the typical bay<-->LA travel times, but within those times it really is hit or miss.

There's only 6 stalls? I'm surprised there aren't more with it being a must-stop supercharging site.

My current plan is to hit the site by 6am going south, which I certainly hope wouldn't be an issue at that time! Coming back might be an issue, as the current plan is to reach Harris Ranch around 4pm on a Sunday afternoon. Worse case, it'll be full, I'll leave a note on some of the cars charging asking for them to call my cell when they're done, so I can move in to charge (as we eat some juicy rib eye at the restaurant!).

Chatting with a cashier in the store today she mentioned they were going to add more SC. She said there would be 13 chargers when they are done. Take this information with a grain of salt, but perhaps Harris Ranch will be seeing some construction in the coming months.

On another point we tried the "B" side of the southern temporary charger this afternoon. It is a nose in charger and I could not get the cord to reach my charger port even with my tires against the parking curb. It could have been an position error on my part or the temporary unit needs to be moved out a foot.

Chatting with a cashier in the store today she mentioned they were going to add more SC. She said there would be 13 chargers when they are done. Take this information with a grain of salt, but perhaps Harris Ranch will be seeing some construction in the coming months.

On another point we tried the "B" side of the southern temporary charger this afternoon. It is a nose in charger and I could not get the cord to reach my charger port even with my tires against the parking curb. It could have been an position error on my part or the temporary unit needs to be moved out a foot.

This is probably true, and I think they will be over by the battery swap. I was at Harris Yesterday and noticed new conduits stubbed up near a transformer next to the Roadster charger.
The conduits were heading in the direction of the Swap Station. Since there seems to be better parking there and the main lot at Harris is often full it would make sense to shift some if not all chargers over to the swap station area.

I also did a nose in charge on one of the pods. Had to raise suspension to clear the curb and it was still tight for the cord to reach,.

View attachment 87414View attachment 87415Was at HR a couple weeks ago and talked to Battery folks. I was told they were putting 7 new chargers in and 4 temps will then come out.

Nice Photos, I was there July 2nd at night and it was just PVC conduit on the ground, your photo shows the wood covering. Went back through there on July 12th and they painted the wood white.