Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Harris Ranch, CA (18 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
7A.
If it matters, I think it's probably best (most polite) protocol to take unpaired stalls before the lone one.

Why is it polite, and why does it matter? For people who care whether they're the first to plug into an SpC cabinet, the easiest thing is to just go to the pedestal you know doesn't share a cabinet. It doesn't matter which unused cabinet you plug into, because your car is going to draw everything it needs and the next one to plug in gets leftovers.

Actually, I think it's marginally more polite to plug into 7a when it's available: that way, you leave one of the other shared cabinets unused for the next person who doesn't understand SpC sharing, and the probability that such a person inadvertently plugs into a cabinet that's already in use is reduced. Win-win.

Why is it polite, and why does it matter? For people who care whether they're the first to plug into an SpC cabinet, the easiest thing is to just go to the pedestal you know doesn't share a cabinet. It doesn't matter which unused cabinet you plug into, because your car is going to draw everything it needs and the next one to plug in gets leftovers.

Actually, I think it's marginally more polite to plug into 7a when it's available: that way, you leave one of the other shared cabinets unused for the next person who doesn't understand SpC sharing, and the probability that such a person inadvertently plugs into a cabinet that's already in use is reduced. Win-win.

Agree. I'll go straight to 7A every time.

Drove by Harris Ranch last week in an ICE, went to get some fuel, moment I got off the off ramp, I regretted it...
I would regret driving an ICE.

The Harris Ranch restaurant has no problem inside, no air issues once you step into the magnificent building. The food experience is worth putting up with the direction of the wind while walking from the car. On some days, the Supercharger stops at HR are a breath of fresh air!

I look forward to driving the Model X to Harris Ranch and checking how well the medical grade HEPA filter takes care of the occupants if the wind is in the wrong direction.

@bxr140: You say it's the polite thing to do, and if you were able to convince me it matters I'd certainly agree with you. But you need to build an argument to back your claim; I argued in my previous post that it was actually more beneficial for everyone if the first car to arrive plugged into 7A, but I'm open to being convinced otherwise.

@bxr140: You say it's the polite thing to do, and if you were able to convince me it matters I'd certainly agree with you. But you need to build an argument to back your claim; I argued in my previous post that it was actually more beneficial for everyone if the first car to arrive plugged into 7A, but I'm open to being convinced otherwise.

I think it depends on the situation. If you arrive with a low battery charge and only plan to stay 20-30 mins, then take 7A or any other unpaired stall. You'll be taking full advantage of the 120kW available. On the other hand, if you intend to go eat at the restaurant and spend 45 mins or more there, it would be better to take a a stall other than 7A (assuming there are others available that arent being shared). This way, if the chargers get congested while you are tapering and maybe only pulling 40-50kW, the car that pulls in to share with you will be able get a decent charge rate. Pretty minor consideration, now that there are 13 stalls, but if I was going to stay and eat, I wouldn't take 7A....it should be used like an "express" charger - get in and out quickly with just enough charge to get to the next supercharger.

I think it depends on the situation. If you arrive with a low battery charge and only plan to stay 20-30 mins, then take 7A or any other unpaired stall. You'll be taking full advantage of the 120kW available. On the other hand, if you intend to go eat at the restaurant and spend 45 mins or more there, it would be better to take a a stall other than 7A (assuming there are others available that arent being shared). This way, if the chargers get congested while you are tapering and maybe only pulling 40-50kW, the car that pulls in to share with you will be able get a decent charge rate. Pretty minor consideration, now that there are 13 stalls, but if I was going to stay and eat, I wouldn't take 7A....it should be used like an "express" charger - get in and out quickly with just enough charge to get to the next supercharger.

This is a good point that I hadn't considered. Probably because I almost always arrive low and stay just long enough to arrive at the next charger with a buffer. But I'll agree -- this case is definitely one that makes it a bit more selfish to use 7A.

Thanks.

Basically, by leaving the lone pedestal free longer, you're minimizing the amount of paired/clipping charge rates of those who come behind you...if sometimes only statistically.

And again, it's not like this is a matter of life or death--you're really just saving someone else a few minutes.

The easiest way to visualize is an empty three charger site. If the first car shows up at 12:00, the second at 12:05, and you show up at 12:10, which stall would you prefer the first car take? Of course you'd prefer the first person take 1A (1B obviously works too). The second car would take 2A, then when you show up at 1B the first car will have spent 5 more minutes charging on that cabinet and thus you'd incur 5 less minutes of clipping/reduced power then had the first car run straight to 2A. At the same time, the first two cars still get full power, so it's net zero to them. Karma ensues.

Also, because you're maximizing the power draw of the site you're minimizing total charge time of the three cars, thus increasing the total throughput of the site.

The same logic applies to any odd number set of chargers.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
IMG_5652.jpg
IMG_5653.JPG
IMG_5658.JPG
IMG_5659.JPG
IMG_5660.JPG
IMG_5661.JPG
IMG_5662.JPG
Here are a few photos. hey! "Someone's got to do it!!