Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Harrisburg, PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HA! I'll most likely never bring my car here... I wish they'd check with locals before building these...

Wow that sucks for that guy, but seriously reinforces my opinion of the area...

I have developed similar opinions for this area. Checking progress on the SC is the only thing that has ever brought me there.
Each time I approached from I-83 N, it left something to be desired. Traffic patterns in the approach of the parking lot itself seemed a little dicey at times as well.

I can see why it was selected based on the amount and type of surrounding restaurants, and its proximity to highways. Perhaps power supply accessibility played a role too?

What location would you suggest for any possible new ones in the area (to meet increased demand from Model 3)?
Silver Spring Square off of the Carlise Pike?
Camp Hill Shopping Center on Route 15?
Somewhere in Hershey?
All of the above!?

So no more "is it done yet" posts?

We'll see... I'm an impatient person :) I'm still waiting for a black on black 85D to drop to about $83k...
I'd have suggested near the Target on 283 if they wanted this area. I hear there's a new chick-fila near there now too...
I'd also have suggested shopping mall on 15, or Carlisle pike, or somewhere near where 581/15/76 all meet...
In any case, Lewisburg would be the next PA spot, I'm guessing along the new 99/15. It could service 15/99/80 all in one...

I'm near the Harrisburg one, so I don't expect to need it anyway... but it would be cool to show friends/family.

Last edited:
I have developed similar opinions for this area. Checking progress on the SC is the only thing that has ever brought me there.
Each time I approached from I-83 N, it left something to be desired. Traffic patterns in the approach of the parking lot itself seemed a little dicey at times as well.

I can see why it was selected based on the amount and type of surrounding restaurants, and its proximity to highways. Perhaps power supply accessibility played a role too?

What location would you suggest for any possible new ones in the area (to meet increased demand from Model 3)?
Silver Spring Square off of the Carlise Pike?
Camp Hill Shopping Center on Route 15?
Somewhere in Hershey?
All of the above!?

That does suck (for the technician and for us!) but I grew up in Susquehanna Twp and went to middle school down the street. I have some rental properties near the site and while the Township may not be as great as it once was, I find nothing wrong with the location other than the insane traffic on I-83. There is a Pen-Dot plan to rectify this but I believe it won't be done for like 5-10 yrs.

That does suck (for the technician and for us!) but I grew up in Susquehanna Twp and went to middle school down the street. I have some rental properties near the site and while the Township may not be as great as it once was, I find nothing wrong with the location other than the insane traffic on I-83. There is a Pen-Dot plan to rectify this but I believe it won't be done for like 5-10 yrs.

I apologize and did not mean to offend.

My brief sampling of the area recently, as I mentioned, was just the small stretch from the northbound exit off I-83 to the shopping center. My immediate observations mostly pertain to the very busy atmosphere. Felt a little overwhelmed with the volume of traffic and my distracting curiosity about the building under construction at the shopping center entrance.

My comments should not reflect the greater area, as I only arrived and left through that small portion.

Now that I can type on a REAL keyboard, a few other tidbits:
- Somebody in PP&L wants a retaining wall and commented that it should have been part of the site plan, blaming the architect. Whether or not that's a finger-point exercise or not, we know who the architect is, right, from earlier posts? Should we give her some professional feedback?
- Jersey folks continue to be lucky as there's a new site out for bid somewhere in the state. I didn't ask where and it wasn't offered.
- I'm guessing they're going to need excavating equipment for the wall and while I believe it's not the whole berm that needs to be reinforced, I can't believe they'd want cars charging in the area while they're working.

So, about the opening celebration - I don't think it'll open this weekend so we should postpone.
Regarding next weekend, I'll be with the Tesla Road Trip crew in Williamsburg VA (80ish cars and room for more) so if someone else wants to grab the MC mantle and coordinate a ribbon ceremony, please feel free. Otherwise, I'll watch the thread and see about organizing something the week or so following.

We'll see... I'm an impatient person :) I'm still waiting for a black on black 85D to drop to about $83k...
I'd have suggested near the Target on 283 if they wanted this area. I hear there's a new chick-fila near there now too...
I'd also have suggested shopping mall on 15, or Carlisle pike, or somewhere near where 581/15/76 all meet...
In any case, Lewisburg would be the next PA spot, I'm guessing along the new 99/15. It could service 15/99/80 all in one...

I'm near the Harrisburg one, so I don't expect to need it anyway... but it would be cool to show friends/family.

haha, just poking at ya. I thought it was funny to be following so closely along, and then be like "nope, screw that" when tools go missing :p

I work across the street from the Target complex. There are a lot of restaurants in there and it could totally be a supercharger location. Lots and lots of parking too. I was also thinking about down 83 on exit 40A. Lots of hotels/restaurants. Close to Harrisburg and right off of the turnpike.

I was going to try to convince my boss to get on the destination charger program to try to get some new business but I think the super charger squashed that idea.

Last edited:
Being a first time visitor to the area I had a bit of a tough time getting to it despite seeing lots of photos so I knew where to look.

I pulled into the sheetz then went across the Wendy's (I think) parking lot and into the wies lot. That entrance area there was kinda weird. After visiting the Chargers and being bummed that pressing a button didn't pop open my port, I drove to the front of the Starbucks to look for a parking spot. Having a nice car I chose a spot across the way from Starbucks. Then when leaving I had a tough time making the almost blind left turn into the sweeping curve that comes down into the parking area.

I out of habit lock our car when sitting in it supercharging, this is an area I will definitely want to do that. When driving alone I usually spend my supercharger time napping. Doing this at night here could be sketchy. I hope the area is well lit and wies has a good security camera watching the area.

Despite this, I am extremely delighted to have a charging option in Hbg.

My trip home yesterday added 40 minutes to stop at Allentown then drive right past this spot to get home. For convenience alone I think it is a good location.

Garr...I'm traveling from New Jersey to Bedford, Pennsylvania and back Sunday night and Monday. May still be an RV park recharge for me. Thanks to everyone providing these great updates!

I had very good luck last week with the chademo at Brenner Nissan coming and going to Pittsburgh. When I pulled in a dealership employee was parking a car in front of the charger. As soon as he saw me he waved and started pulling back out. I only needed 15 mins or so to reduce the pucker going from Somerset to Allentown in my 70D. And the Sheetz is a short distance down the road for a backup plan.

Ken

Yes, those are definitely great options for that route. This trip I'm time constrained on the way back and need to make the best time enroute but would rather not use an ICE if I can. If I stop overnight 150 miles west of Allentown, I would need to get as full a charge as I could to make the trip back to NJ without a long break. If the Harrisburg supercharger is active, I could make a round trip from Harrisburg of 100 miles each way which is do-able. Thanks for your suggestion!