Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Harrisonburg, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

Looks like the Harrisonburg Supercharger will be located at the Sheetz (533 University Dr). Found 2 expired permits for a nearby address, but the work location said to be at the Sheetz. This site is said to open in Q2 2021 so I expect Tesla will renew the permits. Will keep an eye on this location

P.S. For editors, I'll wait for an update to the permit before adding it - unless you think there is sufficient evidence for it to go on the map?

Harrisonburg.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and Thinkje
Man I hate to complain about a new Supercharger location because they're all great to have, but that area already has good coverage and I've never had to wait or even share a charger at any of the nearby locations. And I've driven through there six times in my Tesla.

In contrast, the Memphis Supercharger is 5 or more miles out of the way regardless which route you're taking through the city, and it's a major crossroads city with a large population, and the one Supercharger location is regularly busy. In fact it's the only one of probably 80 Supercharger visits that I've ever had to wait for a stall and I've had to share power a few times there.

I don't understand how they choose which locations to work on and it can be really frustrating watching some areas get loaded up and other areas that seem so obviously in need apparently getting ignored.

Man I hate to complain about a new Supercharger location because they're all great to have, but that area already has good coverage and I've never had to wait or even share a charger at any of the nearby locations. And I've driven through there six times in my Tesla.

In contrast, the Memphis Supercharger is 5 or more miles out of the way regardless which route you're taking through the city, and it's a major crossroads city with a large population, and the one Supercharger location is regularly busy. In fact it's the only one of probably 80 Supercharger visits that I've ever had to wait for a stall and I've had to share power a few times there.

I don't understand how they choose which locations to work on and it can be really frustrating watching some areas get loaded up and other areas that seem so obviously in need apparently getting ignored.
It can simply be about finding willing hosts.. The obvious fix for Memphis, TN is West Memphis, AR, and growth in Arkansas has been slow.

But, also remember that this isn't just about coverage, it's also about the Version 3 rollout. Tesla has been putting a lot of new Version 3 Superchargers in locations that increase density, rather than add coverage. While that stretch of I-81 has plenty of Superchargers, none is Version 3.

Besides, it's on US-33. The US Numbered Highways need coverage too.

Reactions: LoudMusic
I-81

Harrisonburg, VA

Along Primary Interstates: I-81
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-33
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-81

To: Mt. Jackson, VA - 27.3 miles
Diversion: 1.8 miles
To: Strasburg, VA - 52.1 miles

US-33

To: Glen Allen, VA - 107.4 miles
Diversion: 0.4 miles
To: End (Downtown Richmond, VA) - 111.8 miles

To: La Vale, MD (I-81, US-11, VA-259/WV-259, US-48, WV-93, MD-636, MD-53, US-40A) - 127.6 miles
To: Charlottesville - Proffit Road, VA (US-33, US-29) - 44.3 miles

A new Version 3 Supercharger in the middle of a mass of Version 2.
Also adds another Supercharger on US-33.

Reactions: Big Earl
Oh that's a fun game.

Memphis, TN

Along Primary Interstate: I-40, I-55
Along US Numbered Highways: US-51, US-64, US-78, US-72, US-79, US-61
Along Auxiliary Interstates: I-22, I-555

I-40
Little Rock, AR - 155 miles, 23 mile diversion off I-40
Jackson, TN - 70 miles, 1 mile diversion off I-40
Dickson, TN - 162 miles 1 mile diversion off I-40

I-55
Genada, MS - 101 miles
Sikeston, MO - 147 miles

US-51
None

US-64
None

US-78
None

US-72
None

US-79
None

US-61
None

I-22
Tupelo, MS - 94 miles

I-555
None

None of these are V3. In fact, Tupelo, Jackson, and Grenada, aren't even listed with their KW in the Supercharger database, which leads me to believe they are actually 120KW V1. Dickson is the newest of all seven of these, going online in September of 2017.

There is one that appears to be completed in Brinkley, AR, (I was there yesterday!) but hasn't been switched on yet. It's been several weeks at this stage. It's about 80 miles away on I-40.

Circles are at 150 mile radius. I get that there's a LOT more people near the Harrisonburg location, and that the area surrounding Memphis is not "Tesla Country", but there are a lot of Tesla owners driving through. A second location in Memphis would be amazing.

Attachments

• Supercharger_Map-MemphisVHarrisonburg.PNG
    Supercharger_Map-MemphisVHarrisonburg.PNG
    1.9 MB · Views: 71

They in this case is Sheetz. Sheetz has seen the writing on the wall and is jumping in with both feet on providing charging services at their outlets (although oddly enough, not so much in parts of Pennsylvania, their home state!) Wawa is doing the same. And the cool thing is that they seem to have done their research and really picked some great and well needed sites. I suppose that's not surprising because they have had to have done significant research into travel corridors at which to site their gas stations.

Eventually convenience store outlets across the country will see the light. Are there popular chains in your area that you could start lobbying? Unfortunately it's a bit of a chicken and egg thing--it helps if you can back up your request with some evidence of large numbers of potential customers that are going to be captive at their outlet for 15-30 minutes.

13 out of 30 what? Total Sheetz locations in PA? Certainly there are more than 30 Sheetz locations in PA:
1617285877222.png

(some of the northern and southern ones are in NY and MD)

But here is the one that's critically missing a Supercharger:

1617286029272.png

Hazleton, PA.

Along I-81 there is a large gap between Carlisle (or Harrisburg if you prefer, although that's not very convenient from I-81), to Moosic (Scranton). 131 miles from Carlisle and 115 from Harrisburg. Very reachable in a Tesla, but getting spoiled with 25-30 mile gaps elsewhere.

Granted, there is not a whole lot along that stretch in the way of other services either, but the lack of something in Hazleton definitely sticks out like a sore thumb. AND, I-81 north of MD could use some V3 love--Moosic does get a bit busy at times (it's a really great stop!)

Sorry, I guess we've hijacked this thread a bit. But even though Harrisonburg seems less necessary given Mt. Jackson and Staunton, more options/flexibility is always welcome. Sometimes a food/bathroom break can't wait for an hour.

Reactions: Walker34
13 out of 30 what? Total Sheetz locations in PA? Certainly there are more than 30 Sheetz locations in PA:
View attachment 649900
(some of the northern and southern ones are in NY and MD)

But here is the one that's critically missing a Supercharger:

View attachment 649901

Hazleton, PA.

Along I-81 there is a large gap between Carlisle (or Harrisburg if you prefer, although that's not very convenient from I-81), to Moosic (Scranton). 131 miles from Carlisle and 115 from Harrisburg. Very reachable in a Tesla, but getting spoiled with 25-30 mile gaps elsewhere.

Granted, there is not a whole lot along that stretch in the way of other services either, but the lack of something in Hazleton definitely sticks out like a sore thumb. AND, I-81 north of MD could use some V3 love--Moosic does get a bit busy at times (it's a really great stop!)

Sorry, I guess we've hijacked this thread a bit. But even though Harrisonburg seems less necessary given Mt. Jackson and Staunton, more options/flexibility is always welcome. Sometimes a food/bathroom break can't wait for an hour.
13 Superchargers at Sheetz stations out of 30 total Superchargers in Pennsylvania.

The Sheetz in Conyngham is my pipe dream location. Accessible from 80 and 81, makes Harrisburg to WB or Hazelton much easier; no detours to Scranton, Tannersville, or Bloomsburg. Hickory Run won't help with this problem.

Reactions: RTPEV