Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Haubstadt, IN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Coming through next week. I guess it's not promising that this will be done by Wednesday :(
It probably won’t be completed / through with all permits and switched on until Oct 8th or 9th, if prior experiences are any indication. (Here’s to hoping for sooner.)

Years of driving cross country in my Tesla tell me not to plan any trips on “hope”. 😜 Definitely don’t make or change a trip until the nav reflects it is up and running. It is only a 50/50 chance of it working in your favor if it doesn’t show “available” within the nav. (Just thought I’d share for those who haven’t learned the hard lesson of being without a charger on the road. I try to learn from others.)

Reactions: tpedwards
We were headed home yesterday and stopped in Lexington Ky as we always do, for some reason I cleared the route so before leaving I pressed the home button and set sail knowing I would charge in Louisville and Mt Vernon. I should have suspected something when the car predicted we needed to charge for "an hour" in Louisville. The car routed me the V2 SCer. Upon arrival we found the MAX charging speed to be no more than 67 kWh on all stalls. I tried two but when I was getting ready to move another Tesla owner waved at me and said ALL ARE SLOW TODAY. So we bailed and unplugged and drove the 22 miles to the V3 location, with traffic and rain that added 30 minutes to an already planned LONG stop as the car said we needed to charge 97% to get to Mt Vernon. In the past, I must have manually selected the V3 location never thinking how the built-in nav would do it. It would be nice when there are multiple locations in a city that the nav system would open a window allowing you to select the location you want. In the future, we'll be able to depart our home in Swansea IL drive 144 miles direct to Haubstadt IN skip Louisville, and stop in Lexington Ky on our way to our hotel in Barboursville WVA. That V2 SCer wasn't even as fast as an Urban Charger.

We were headed home yesterday and stopped in Lexington Ky as we always do, for some reason I cleared the route so before leaving I pressed the home button and set sail knowing I would charge in Louisville and Mt Vernon. I should have suspected something when the car predicted we needed to charge for "an hour" in Louisville. The car routed me the V2 SCer. Upon arrival we found the MAX charging speed to be no more than 67 kWh on all stalls. I tried two but when I was getting ready to move another Tesla owner waved at me and said ALL ARE SLOW TODAY. So we bailed and unplugged and drove the 22 miles to the V3 location, with traffic and rain that added 30 minutes to an already planned LONG stop as the car said we needed to charge 97% to get to Mt Vernon. In the past, I must have manually selected the V3 location never thinking how the built-in nav would do it. It would be nice when there are multiple locations in a city that the nav system would open a window allowing you to select the location you want. In the future, we'll be able to depart our home in Swansea IL drive 144 miles direct to Haubstadt IN skip Louisville, and stop in Lexington Ky on our way to our hotel in Barboursville WVA. That V2 SCer wasn't even as fast as an Urban Charger.
If you're sharing with another car (which isn't already at a high SOC and thus receiving<36kW), you will get 72kW max. That's just how v2s work these days. The reason you maxed out at 67 is likely because you were using the a/c while you were charging, but that's a fairly trivial difference anyway. In any case, there's basically no way you saved time by driving 22 miles to the v3. In my experience, the Nav is generally correct in terms of which superchargers it routes you to, assuming your goal is speed and speed alone.

If you're sharing with another car (which isn't already at a high SOC and thus receiving<36kW), you will get 72kW max. That's just how v2s work these days. The reason you maxed out at 67 is likely because you were using the a/c while you were charging, but that's a fairly trivial difference anyway. In any case, there's basically no way you saved time by driving 22 miles to the v3. In my experience, the Nav is generally correct in terms of which superchargers it routes you to, assuming your goal is speed and speed alone.
We weren't sharing he was in 1 and I was 8. Between the two of us, we tried 6 stalls individually. And you are right I should have stayed there and charged.

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV
It's frustrating to me to see reports of reduced charging rates at Superchargers (and DC fast chargers generally) with drivers getting essentially no feedback on why.

I know it's a complicated issue. There are numerous technical reasons why charge rate could be reduced, both on the car side and the charging station side. Some valid, some indicating some kind of fault. Some that the cause can be determined (and communicated) and some not. All that may be confusing/overwhelming to the average person. And there may be a feeling on the part of Tesla and other charging network providers that they don't want to present confusing, and possibly unfavorable information, but on the other hand, providing ZERO information is leaving a bad taste in people's mouths too. When you advertise that your car is capable of charging at 250kW and the display is showing 67kW, you have to say SOMETHING!

At a minimum it is helpful to know whether the limiting factor is the car (e.g. battery temp or SOC) or the charging station itself (e.g. power units down, sharing a charger with another vehicle, or site power limit reached). It's a shame (and a blessing!) that Superchargers don't have screens, but even without the ability to display information on the pedestal itself, the vehicle screen and/or app could convey useful information.

I've been to one non-Tesla charging station (I can't recall the brand--sorry) that does provide a minimal amount of information, which does help a bit:
1632411374170.png

Even something as simple as that is helpful to drivers who can then determine whether it's a problem with the specific charging station or their car is simply not requesting the power level they think it should. It may not make people any happier, but it would probably alleviate 90% of questions!

Well guys, bad news. Looks like it’s still a work in progress. Soon!

Attachments

• 6DA79E76-857F-4575-8629-D4C6909ADA04.jpeg
    6DA79E76-857F-4575-8629-D4C6909ADA04.jpeg
    468.2 KB · Views: 57
  • A5600127-0A99-42E7-9314-C7114DE200C3.jpeg
    A5600127-0A99-42E7-9314-C7114DE200C3.jpeg
    395.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 5C50FBCA-C26F-4EA9-A0B1-B6BDCFF40DA0.jpeg
    5C50FBCA-C26F-4EA9-A0B1-B6BDCFF40DA0.jpeg
    659.9 KB · Views: 60
  • A694252A-955A-485E-8BA6-AC0BBD52FA39.jpeg
    A694252A-955A-485E-8BA6-AC0BBD52FA39.jpeg