Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Haubstadt, IN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 2018 SC map shows Elberfeld, IN as a new SC along I-64 coming on line in 2018. This is the last piece of the I-64 corridor needed for easy travel to/from the east cost. With this SC in place even a MS60 can easily make trips to/from the east coast in the winter.

Any clue on when this will happen?

I'm also looking for information on this as I have in-laws in Evansville. They're installing a 50A outlet for me, but I can't seem to get them to make it a priority. Currently scheduled to get my Model 3 in less than 3 weeks and have no real way of charging it down there.

I found that Tesla does own property in Gibson County as of 2017 (Elberfeld is in Warrick county to the east) but it appears to be a manufacturing facility and is a 15-20 minute drive from the nearest exits on I-69 or I-64.

My guess is that it will have to be near the Loves/Flying J/Pilot stop on I-64/US-41 (also Gibson county) several miles to the west of Elberfeld itself, however I've reached the limit of my Internet sleuthing skills.

Edit: I also found this tweet by Elon yesterday. Hopefully more information to come.

Last edited:
Going into retirement I can afford a Model S60, so Super Charger's spaced about 100 to 125 miles apart are a must. Am guessing the same applies to the SR M3. The next "dump" of CPO's will probably force my hand, so hopefully by then they will have those gaps plugged (pun intended) else I'll just keep my Volt and not worry about such things.

Just a suggestion... drive a little farther to Jasper Indiana, you'll find two free 48A public destination chargers between the Hampton Inn and the Schnitzelbank Restaurant.

My class mate from high school owns both places.

And, while you're there, get the fried chicken and the German Fries, they're amazing!

Just a suggestion... drive a little farther to Jasper Indiana, you'll find two free 48A public destination chargers between the Hampton Inn and the Schnitzelbank Restaurant.

My class mate from high school owns both places.

And, while you're there, get the fried chicken and the German Fries, they're amazing!
If you are traveling through on I-64 and need a charge, Holiday World is closer. If you have the older dual chargers, even better - up to 16kW (200 V @ 80 Amps). Though Jasper is more on the way from Bloomington to Evansville.

Route planning for trip from Atlanta to Bloomington in my Model 3 LR AWD. Elberfeld SC would be most welcome!
Has anybody done a driveby?

I have not done a drive by (the precise location is unknown anyway). But that location has been on the Coming Soon list for at least two years, as has Bloomington. I would suggest coming through Louisville or Cincinnati. Beware, it costs $4.10 to cross the river in Louisville.

Last edited:
I have not done a drive by (the precise location is unknown anyway). But that location has been on the Coming Soon list for at least two years, as has Bloomington. I would suggest coming through Louisville or Cincinnati. Beware, it costs $4.10 to cross the river in Louisville.
Louisville to Bloomington is easy, getting back... not so much. The folks at the Grant St. Inn were most gracious when I was there a few weeks ago. Elberfeld would be way out of the way. I did a range charge in Indy, drove to Bloomington and needed a boost at the Grant St. Inn in Bloomington to get to Louisville. I could possibly have made it, but did some driving around in Bloomington with the family.

Last edited:

Well, I did a drive-by...drive-thru? Drive-in? I can't imagine Tesla placing a Supercharger installation there; too far off the Interstate and the road into town (N. North Rd....no, I'm not kidding) is 25 mph.

Korner Inn gets good reviews, though.

Oh, have to check out the Museum of the Coal Industry, nearby. LOL!
The Museum of the Coal Industry

My guess for location is the same as @Butane 's from post #2--one of the three Haubstadt truck stops right north of the the intersection of I-64 and US-41 (Love's, Flying J, or Pilot). They are about 6.5 miles west of the I-69/I-64 intersection, so a bit of a detour for north/south travelers along I-69 but not horrendous. It'd be really nice to see movement this year, but I'm not that hopeful (this feeling isn't based on any specific info, though).

Tesla marks the map of the general area of the supercharger. Just because it’s showing Eberfield doesn’t mean it’ll actually be where the pin is dropped.

I still go back to my original comment of Indiana being known for using Meijer as supercharger locations. Every Meijer near an interstate or highway seems to get one in Indiana/Ohio - Zionsville, Carmel, Lafayette, Merilleville, Terre Haute, Fort Wayne, Dayton, etc . There’s a Meijer in Evansville right off the interstate, so I would assume that’s where it’ll end up.

Tesla marks the map of the general area of the supercharger. Just because it’s showing Eberfield doesn’t mean it’ll actually be where the pin is dropped.

I still go back to my original comment of Indiana being known for using Meijer as supercharger locations. Every Meijer near an interstate or highway seems to get one in Indiana/Ohio - Zionsville, Carmel, Lafayette, Merilleville, Terre Haute, Fort Wayne, Dayton, etc . There’s a Meijer in Evansville right off the interstate, so I would assume that’s where it’ll end up.
Interpreting Tesla's lack of rigorousness in putting grey pins on exact locations as supporting the notion that the current Elberfeld pin could actually turn out to be a location in Evansville is kinda ridiculous. If a pin is on a different jurisdiction that far away from the actual location it would only be in the reverse situation--i.e. grey pin on the big city but actual build location 15 miles away in the little town whose name no one would recognize unless they were a local. Tesla may end up putting a supercharger in Evansville at some point in the future--I certainly hope they will. It could even be at that Meijer--though I would say that the Target on Lloyd Expressway is a better and more likely location (Tesla also partners with Target for supercharger locations)--but if/when they do, the grey pin will be on Evansville.

This SuperCharger primarily will be to service I-64 traffic and secondarily I-69 traffic. If people from Evansville use it, great, but they are not the target population - interstate travelers are. Although there may be a SuperCharger in Evansville some day, it will be a long wait for an urban charger.

If you are going to travel through Louisville more than a few times, get a RiverLink sticker, it will halve your toll for no charge other than them sitting on your deposit.

Reactions: PStewart
Adding my vote to prioritize construction of this supercharger. We live in St. Louis and my parents are in Louisville (St. Matthews), so a stop in Mt. Vernon is mandatory for our Model X - and we still arrive with a minimal charge that's a little too close for my comfort level!

Adding my support for this supercharger. From Evansville originally but live in Tampa now. Route planning puts me in Evansville with 10% battery. Looking like I'll have to detour to bowling Green on the way to arrive with 30% but even then not great. Hopefully this happens soon with the v3 rollouts and the ramped up supercharger line in Buffalo

I'm also looking for information on this as I have in-laws in Evansville. They're installing a 50A outlet for me, but I can't seem to get them to make it a priority. Currently scheduled to get my Model 3 in less than 3 weeks and have no real way of charging it down there.

I found that Tesla does own property in Gibson County as of 2017 (Elberfeld is in Warrick county to the east) but it appears to be a manufacturing facility and is a 15-20 minute drive from the nearest exits on I-69 or I-64.

My guess is that it will have to be near the Loves/Flying J/Pilot stop on I-64/US-41 (also Gibson county) several miles to the west of Elberfeld itself, however I've reached the limit of my Internet sleuthing skills.

Edit: I also found this tweet by Elon yesterday. Hopefully more information to come.

I live inEvansville. I had my charger installed by an electrician who is also a childhood friend. It was less than $400. I can give you his info if you are interested