Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hawthorne, CA - El Segundo Boulevard (LIVE 21 Nov 2019 - 12 Urban)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dropped by yesterday with my in-laws after coming back down from Los Olivos. We got there with about 30mi of range left on our 11/13 built S85. Our max charging speed was 68kW but it was sustained pretty much throughout our whole 20 minute charging session in which we added a little over 100mi of range. I'm glad this location exists because just about every other Supercharger site was pretty full on a Saturday evening; this one was about 20% occupied when we arrived.

We have a 2015 Model S 90 and the charging rate is abysmally slow. It starts off about 98 and then quickly drops to 40 at 80% charge and then keeps dropping to eventually 5. It’s really impossible to get much charge above 80%
Before June 2019, our S85 charged fairly quickly as long as the V2 stall pair was not being used, the battery was warmed, and the %SOC was below 20. I would be able to charge from 10-80% in about 50 minutes regularly hitting speeds above 100kW at the beginning before tapering off. I would stop charging at about 80% because I felt my time was more productive driving towards my destination rather than charging below 40kW.

Our car does not Supercharge nearly as well now. Sometimes we'll hit up to 128kW initially then trickle down to 108kW about 2 minutes later. Other times, the car charge no more than 68kW. Sometimes it's the stall and sometimes there's just no improvement at any stall. While I long for the days of reliably fast Supercharging, I remind myself that Supercharging even at 50kW is still like 8X faster than charging my Fiat 500e. 🙃

Thank you for your comments about Supercharging. I have had Tesla check our battery’s condition more than once and they reported there were no discernible problems with it. I am solidly convinced that Tesla deliberately throttles back the charging power to discourage us from using Superchargers. They regret that they ever gave customers unlimited, free lifetime supercharging and want to discourage us from using it.