TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharger - Hawthorne, NV

Discussion in 'Mountain/Southwest Supercharger locations' started by ProphetM, Jan 6, 2016.

1. ProphetM

ProphetM Member

Tesla's 2016 'future' supercharger map has been updated and I think it's good enough to speculate that Hawthorne will be getting a supercharger:

TeslaNV.jpg

The ones labeled in green text are current superchargers. Of the orange ones, Tonopah is known but not yet in progress, and Beatty is basically finished but not yet live. That leaves two markers unaccounted for in western central Nevada, which I think will be in Fallon and Hawthorne. Settlements are sparse in the area, especially near Hawthorne, so I don't think there is any other likely place for them to put that one. I have been looking through the Mineral County web site today but I'm not very far in and haven't found anything about Tesla.

The US 95 corridor is so sparsely populated that Tesla doesn't have a lot of choice on where to site superchargers. These sites might be a little closer to each other than they would like, but that's just where the towns are. If they were to skip any of the four - Beatty, Tonopah, Hawthorne or Fallon - then the gap is a bit far to be very comfortable with in many cases. They can possibly skip Fallon but it's a good crossroads and so a natural choice. Hawthorne is more of a necessity whether they put a SC in Fallon or not.

2. Dave7423

Dave7423 New Member

Today I saw Superchargers being put up here in Hawthorne, NV...should be online soon.

• Informative x 2
  3. ProphetM

ProphetM Member

Really?! Do tell! If you can let us know the location, we can get it added to supercharge.info (and then wait for the opening with baited breath). :D

4. Dave7423

Dave7423 New Member

image.jpeg Here are a few pictures of the area. It's next to the gas station/port o subs, just after the Y of the two highway's and town intersect....there are 8 charger towers being put up, all still wrapped in plastic and tape, it looks like they still need to run more wires in, and they still need to pave in the spaces.

Would be nice if they also covered it since it is out in the open and it gets hot and the wind gets really gusty out here...so still a long ways off, but should be able to accommodate 16 cars....which being so far out, it might need to.

Attached Files:

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  5. Yombad

Yombad Member

Thanks for the info, Dave7423. Please do keep us updated! I like taking this route from N.Cal to Vegas.

6. ProphetM

ProphetM Member

#6 ProphetM, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    Very nice, I was hoping it would be near that rest area at the north end of town and it looks like it is pretty close for an easy walk. Looking at aerials on Google Maps shows nothing at all on the supercharger site, so I guess the entire gas station/Port of Subs construction is fairly new. Looking forward to using this when I get a Model 3! Thank you, Dave!

7. CSFTN

CSFTN Member

Boy that's a lonely looking town. Try as I might, I can't see the chargers on any of these photos. Where are they? And 16 cars? That would be a huge charging station. Sure you don't mean 8?

8. ProphetM

ProphetM Member

In picture #2, you can see a couple of the (still wrapped) chargers in between the billboard and the pickup truck, and one more peeking over the truck's hood. As to the 16 cars, perhaps Dave7423 is under the impression that the units can service a car on each side, like a gas pump, when this is not the case. He did say there were 8 towers, so I am assuming 8 chargers, not 16.

9. Tree95

Tree95 Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg Monday late afternoon. Looks done except for plastic on the stands. Paint, pavement complete.

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 2
  10. emupilot

emupilot Member

Thanks for the photos! Did you see a transformer (big green box probably between equipment enclosure and power pole) or an empty concrete pad waiting for a transformer?

11. Tree95

Tree95 Member

There's a transformer in the center of the 2nd photo. It's conveniently just below the power lines which have a tap headed down the side of the pole just to the left of the transformer.

• Like x 1
  12. BlueShift

BlueShift Member

13. brec

brec Member

Holy cow -- somehow I missed this thread heretofore. I've never seen Hawthorne as permitted or under construction, and all of a sudden it's open! This is great for me, as it means I can use the shortest route to Las Vegas from my home near Reno. I'd been hoping Tonopah would start construction, but now I don't need it!

(supercharge.info shows it as open, but with an opening date of tomorrow, May 4.)

14. rhumbliner

rhumbliner Member

Has anyone updated PlugShare? @Tree95, they would appreciate your photos.

15. Tree95

Tree95 Member

Done. If the Plugshare username shows up with the photos, I guess everyone will find out my first name isnt Tree.

16. rhumbliner

rhumbliner Member

Thanks for doing that. And it never occurred to me that your first name wasn't Tree. o_O

17. Evee

Evee Member

This is fantastic. Thank you tesla. We drive the best damn cars on the road. Wow.

• Like x 1