Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hawthorne, NV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's 2016 'future' supercharger map has been updated and I think it's good enough to speculate that Hawthorne will be getting a supercharger:

TeslaNV.jpg

The ones labeled in green text are current superchargers. Of the orange ones, Tonopah is known but not yet in progress, and Beatty is basically finished but not yet live. That leaves two markers unaccounted for in western central Nevada, which I think will be in Fallon and Hawthorne. Settlements are sparse in the area, especially near Hawthorne, so I don't think there is any other likely place for them to put that one. I have been looking through the Mineral County web site today but I'm not very far in and haven't found anything about Tesla.

The US 95 corridor is so sparsely populated that Tesla doesn't have a lot of choice on where to site superchargers. These sites might be a little closer to each other than they would like, but that's just where the towns are. If they were to skip any of the four - Beatty, Tonopah, Hawthorne or Fallon - then the gap is a bit far to be very comfortable with in many cases. They can possibly skip Fallon but it's a good crossroads and so a natural choice. Hawthorne is more of a necessity whether they put a SC in Fallon or not.

image.jpeg
Here are a few pictures of the area. It's next to the gas station/port o subs, just after the Y of the two highway's and town intersect....there are 8 charger towers being put up, all still wrapped in plastic and tape, it looks like they still need to run more wires in, and they still need to pave in the spaces.

Would be nice if they also covered it since it is out in the open and it gets hot and the wind gets really gusty out here...so still a long ways off, but should be able to accommodate 16 cars....which being so far out, it might need to.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    284 KB · Views: 131
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    253.3 KB · Views: 131
Very nice, I was hoping it would be near that rest area at the north end of town and it looks like it is pretty close for an easy walk. Looking at aerials on Google Maps shows nothing at all on the supercharger site, so I guess the entire gas station/Port of Subs construction is fairly new. Looking forward to using this when I get a Model 3! Thank you, Dave!

Last edited:
In picture #2, you can see a couple of the (still wrapped) chargers in between the billboard and the pickup truck, and one more peeking over the truck's hood. As to the 16 cars, perhaps Dave7423 is under the impression that the units can service a car on each side, like a gas pump, when this is not the case. He did say there were 8 towers, so I am assuming 8 chargers, not 16.

Holy cow -- somehow I missed this thread heretofore. I've never seen Hawthorne as permitted or under construction, and all of a sudden it's open! This is great for me, as it means I can use the shortest route to Las Vegas from my home near Reno. I'd been hoping Tonopah would start construction, but now I don't need it!

(supercharge.info shows it as open, but with an opening date of tomorrow, May 4.)