Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hawthorne, CA - Tesla Design Center (CLOSED TO PUBLIC 19 Jul 2021, 8 V2 + 2 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So does it look like they're gonna keep the original six under the solar canopy and add about 8 more? I'm just a little confused on what is happening. Are the temporary chargers there in addition to the solar canopy chargers?

This is a good point. The new superchargers are of the temporary variety. So they may be getting ready to take the ones under the solar canopy offline for an overhaul.

This is a good point. The new superchargers are of the temporary variety. So they may be getting ready to take the ones under the solar canopy offline for an overhaul.

Was there today. Did not snap pictures, but the permanent canopy chargers are all blocked off and the only ones left are the 8 temporary ones. While I was there most were full.

They were digging up all the concrete in the area opposite the canopy chargers (where people would usually wait if they were full), they also have trenching done on the left side. It appears they will be adding probably 4 more spots there and then they were also working in the area further east.

It actually makes perfect sense. They have the space. They don't need to negotiate for more parking spots or zoning or anything. They probably also have the power capacity seeing as it is a large industrial site.

They're shipping out cars very quickly now and especially with the X, a lot more superchargers are going to be needed in busy locations. This is the perfect spot for them to put in 20 or 30.

Also, hawthorne is now gone from the top 10 list inside. I guess the temporary ones don't count towards the ranking.

Was there today. Did not snap pictures, but the permanent canopy chargers are all blocked off and the only ones left are the 8 temporary ones. While I was there most were full.

They were digging up all the concrete in the area opposite the canopy chargers (where people would usually wait if they were full), they also have trenching done on the left side. It appears they will be adding probably 4 more spots there and then they were also working in the area further east.

It actually makes perfect sense. They have the space. They don't need to negotiate for more parking spots or zoning or anything. They probably also have the power capacity seeing as it is a large industrial site.

They're shipping out cars very quickly now and especially with the X, a lot more superchargers are going to be needed in busy locations. This is the perfect spot for them to put in 20 or 30.

Also, hawthorne is now gone from the top 10 list inside. I guess the temporary ones don't count towards the ranking.

great update.

Ill stop top by an update on a weekly basis.

I sat through the charging shambles at Hawthorne from 545PM until 630PM at the D unveil.

There were lines of a dozen cars (or more) to get a charge. I saw many give up and just go get valet parked at Hawthorne airport. Didn't stick around and see how it was at midnight when it was winding down.

I'm sure it was more of the same.

This may end up being the largest charging station in the world.

Anyone know the record?

Lots of work ongoing. Massive construction. All of the original stalls are now closed. There are 8 temp chargers available. Construction in both parking lots is ongoing. Would be a great site for battery swapping. Just saying

hawthorne.JPG

At the D rollout, Mr. Musk talked about how many Tesla's were at the event. Seems to me if they are going to have events at the center, they need the capacity to handle people who drive a distance to attend.

It would have to be a truly enormous expansion to handle events like this. There would be massive unused capacity on any other day. I don't think the expansion is going to be that big. If you're going to go to big Tesla event like this, you must plan to be there early to charge, or have enough range to charge somewhere else.

It would have to be a truly enormous expansion to handle events like this. There would be massive unused capacity on any other day. I don't think the expansion is going to be that big. If you're going to go to big Tesla event like this, you must plan to be there early to charge, or have enough range to charge somewhere else.

Exactly! As the telephone engineers used to say, you design the network for low blocking rates for normal busy hours, but not for Mother's Day, that is too big a capital investment. When a wave of Tesla's (@TeslaRoadTrip - Supercharging Across America - Green River and Beaver) hit Green River (4 stalls, but only 2 in service) and Beaver (1.5+ charge times to make it to Las Vegas), people understood that this was an atypical event and dealt with the queues. In fact, many enjoyed the time to talk Tesla!

With Oxnard and San Juan Capistrano on-line and Rancho Cucamonga coming, planning to visit Hawthorne without charging at Hawthorne is getting easier, and easier.

This SC is on the other side of the planet, so I won't charge there, but what got my attention is the HUGE amount of stalls.

Any signs of buffers (batteries) somewhere to power this all? Since I don't think that will be a grid connection.

20 stalls means 10 chargers. 10 chargers each drawing 120kW is 1.2MW of power. That is a serious amount with some high peak charges.

This SC is on the other side of the planet, so I won't charge there, but what got my attention is the HUGE amount of stalls.

Any signs of buffers (batteries) somewhere to power this all? Since I don't think that will be a grid connection.

20 stalls means 10 chargers. 10 chargers each drawing 120kW is 1.2MW of power. That is a serious amount with some high peak charges.

Actually, it is even more than that! The new Supercharger Cabinets are 135 kW DC out shared between two cars. If we assume 90% conversion efficiency in the Supercharger Cabinet, the input AC power is 135kW/90% or 150 kW. 10 of those is 1.5 MW, very serious power; with the U.S. 480 Volt power, that is 1,800 Amps per phase!

Even Rancho Cucamonga with 12 stalls and 6 Supercharger Cabinets will be interesting at 900 kW peak load on the grid, and 1,080 Amps per phase when it comes on-line. Maybe the Inland Empire Tesla Owners need to plan a meet and greet when RC opens, all arriving at a low SoC to give the Supercharger site a max load stress test! :eek:

Could be that in addition to providing more Supercharger stalls, that this construction is to enable the long awaited battery swap location. Owners could drive in with a depleted battery, and drive away in 5 minutes with a fully charged one.

For those in the area, living in apartments where on site changing is difficult, an as needed battery swap could be just the ticket.

Actually, it is even more than that! The new Supercharger Cabinets are 135 kW DC out shared between two cars. If we assume 90% conversion efficiency in the Supercharger Cabinet, the input AC power is 135kW/90% or 150 kW. 10 of those is 1.5 MW, very serious power; with the U.S. 480 Volt power, that is 1,800 Amps per phase!
Indeed, you are right.

But as mentioned above there is a battery back in Hawthorne. I suspect multiple SuperCharger locations will have this soon. If anybody could find some evidence at Hawthorne it would be very cool :)

Great to see this is expanding, I've waited in Hawthorne a few times, but SJC is much worse.

I would like to see a SC in San Diego, as I have never been there without having to wait for a full charge at SJC both ways nor using the San Diego Service Center.

(This is all a moot point for me, as I'm back to ICE, but I will be looking for a slightly used P85D or a Model X next year for sure)

I'm not saying Tesla needs a permanent charging capacity for events like this and as cottonwood also stated there are other chargers and if I was invited (hint...hint) and being local I wouldn't need to charge at all. I think there will be a time in the future, where some kind of temporary (set up in a day, mobile type) supercharger capability would be helpful where you expect to see a large number of Tesla's and where the size of the event might overload the nearby chargers.

That being sad, I'm eagerly looking forward to see what work is done at Hawthorne. One of my first jobs after leaving military service in the 80's was plant protection where I worked at the Northrop facility(now Tesla, SpaceX and Triumph) over the two years I was there, I spent many a hot summer day laying prone on the roof of the now SpaceX building watching the employee parking lot that is now a Target and Lowes for car thieves (which was a major problem), not to mention patrolling all the buildings (many which still exist today). I always enjoy making the trip there and I currently work a few miles away, so I hope I can monitor the progress.:smile: