Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hawthorne, CA - Tesla Design Center (CLOSED TO PUBLIC 19 Jul 2021, 8 V2 + 2 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess bathrooms & coffee machine for a lounge wouldn't be a popular vote with the "club" idea already floated :smile:

If I only owned a coffee shop around San Juan Capistrano, I would allow 14 superchargers on my property & nickname my place the Tesla Lounge, even offer mobile car detailer at certain peak times.

Gaining access to the "Tesla Lounge" using our Fob with presenting door handles would be a special perk.

(I know, its not going to happen)

I had a dream after Elon announced he was going to drive across country with his boys, I envisioned every 3rd supercharger being a "Supercharger+Tesla Lounge", gated property owned by Tesla so Icing wasn't an issue & this place had it all, a gym, cigar lounge, sports bar (easy on the alcohol) arcade for the kids, pet park, Starbucks of course etc...my dream ended at some point & Elon's real trip ended in a snow storm & they probably flew home in a private jet.

By the time a Tesla Lounge remotely makes financial sense to build, battery range should have increased to 500-700 miles on a charge making supercharging almost unnecessary for most...thats probably when I woke up from my dream.

Actually, it is even more than that! The new Supercharger Cabinets are 135 kW DC out shared between two cars. If we assume 90% conversion efficiency in the Supercharger Cabinet, the input AC power is 135kW/90% or 150 kW. 10 of those is 1.5 MW, very serious power; with the U.S. 480 Volt power, that is 1,800 Amps per phase!

At least the new EU ones have 150kW of capacity. Max 135kW per car, though the Model S battery voltage restricts it to a little over 120kW. So the EU chargers (and I assume the newer US ones also) have 15x10kW chargers inside. I actually tesed this, charging a nearly empty car at 120kW. A car pulled up at the shared outlet, and I walked out to advice him to use another one. He had already started to charge, and god ~30kW. There was a contractor on site upgrading one of the SC cabinets, and I asked him about capacity. He replied it was 150kW per cabinet, and that jives with the 160kVA rating on the 400V-480V step-ut trafo in front of each SC cabinet.

To continue taking this thread way of topic, I choose 25325 Dana Point Harbor Dr, Dana Point, CA. 2 minute walk from the ocean, "Lumps Tesla SpC Lounge" would rent Tesla electric bikes & even offer surf lessons for the kiddies, wine tasting & nail salon for the wife (wine makes her sleepy :wink:).

I understand your point. Though many may take the 73, I bet there are a number of people who need to head downtown, and would need to stay on the 5. Somewhere before the 405/5 split would be a good place.

Again, we are definitely way off topic.

Visited Hawthorne last night and here is the progress:

Expansion opposite existing solar shade, looks like 4 more Superchargers.
photo 1.JPG

Not sure why they demolished the old connection unless it would accept higher charge rate. Does this mean there is going to be a step up in charging speed?
photo 2.JPG

Hardware and cabinets?
photo 3.JPG

Looks like Supercharger access will be limited on November 2 & November 9, 2014 . . . does this need a thread?
photo 4.JPG

I spoke to a new owner who has a long commute that uses Hawthorne in emergency's & he is noticing Tesla Limos from LAX charging, as many as 3 limos at one time have been spotted :cursing:, anyone else notice Limos?

We have ICEing, inconsiderate Tesla owners leaving their cars in a charging stalls long past charging has completed & now for profit Tesla Limos to worry about at Superchargers.

Last edited:

That is over a MegaWatt of charging capacity in one location!!!

Wow! They had to beat the Rancho Cucamonga by 1 in number of Charging Stalls and 8 HPWC's... Let's see 135kWx7+20kWx8=1,105kW. I think that this is a new record! For comparison, Tesla's first Power Plant built by Westinghouse in 1891, produced 75 kW. Ames Hydroelectric Generating Plant - Wikipedia

Are the HPWC's there for the non-Supercharger 60's, for locals wanting a 100% charge, event charging, or all of the above?

I spoke to a new owner who has a long commute that uses Hawthorne in emergency's& he is noticing Tesla Limos from LAX charging, as many as 3 limos at one time have been spotted :cursing:, anyone else notice Limos?

We have ICEing, inconsiderate Tesla owners leaving their cars in a charging stalls long past charging has completed & now for profit Tesla Limos to worry about at Superchargers.
Yes, others have mentioned for-hire vehicles at Hawthorne before. Unfortunately, this is one of the drawbacks of offering free Supercharging. Tesla is responding by installing more Superchargers.

13 Superchargers + 8 HPWCs = highest power EV charging location in the world?

7 * 135 kW + 8 * 19.2 kW (assuming 240V, could be 208V in which case 16.6 kW) - either way right around 1 MW of power for charging EVs.

Last edited:
Very good to see. Waiting could get a bit tricky though - if there's that much contention - given that the previous "waiting" spots are now going to be SpC stalls. Will stretch the limits of the 'honor system' for sure.

Wonder if the HPWCs are going to offer the full 20 kW; Tesla's Palo Alto HQ on Deer Creek has many more HPWCs but, if I recall right, are capped at 40/50A.

I spoke to a new owner who has a long commute that uses Hawthorne in emergency's & he is noticing Tesla Limos from LAX charging, as many as 3 limos at one time have been spotted :cursing:, anyone else notice Limos?

I've used >50 Superchargers including having used Hawthorne at least 50 times, I've rarely had to wait for a charge. This is people searching for a problem. I'm glad Limos are using Superchargers. It means there are more uses for the Model S than most people realize.

In turn, Tesla will more than double the number of Superchargers and more than triple the total number of chargers.

Tesla already knows that it will have to create destination chargers. Perhaps those eventually, get another name and another subscription cost. "Metrochargers" has been bandied about . . . OR Tesla will install city center chargers like in London, China, etc.

Embrace high use 'cause once the Model 3 arrives, Tesla is going to have to open an order of magnitude Supercharging slots.

Wow, this is disappointing. It's a very bad design. There is not enough room for all those cars in there, it's going to be very cramped. PLUS, the little narrow "inlet" for ingress and egress is so tight, already, that it causes all sorts of problems for drivers not familiar with how bad it is. Drivers leaving the charger area are often not mindful of how extremely tight that little lane is, and they make big sweeping turns and find themselves right in front of an incoming car. Likewise, incoming cars are not mindful of the big sweeping turns the cars leaving make...

What a design mess. It's disappointing that Tesla's being so sloppy. It's like they've outsourced this very important design work to some firm responsible for the debacles we see in shopping mall and grocery parking lot configurations.

Argh. C'mon Tesla! *Think*! You're getting sloppy!

Wow, this is disappointing. It's a very bad design. There is not enough room for all those cars in there, it's going to be very cramped. PLUS, the little narrow "inlet" for ingress and egress is so tight, already, that it causes all sorts of problems for drivers not familiar with how bad it is. Drivers leaving the charger area are often not mindful of how extremely tight that little lane is, and they make big sweeping turns and find themselves right in front of an incoming car. Likewise, incoming cars are not mindful of the big sweeping turns the cars leaving make...

What a design mess. It's disappointing that Tesla's being so sloppy. It's like they've outsourced this very important design work to some firm responsible for the debacles we see in shopping mall and grocery parking lot configurations.

Argh. C'mon Tesla! *Think*! You're getting sloppy!

To me it looks way more spacious than our supermarket parking lot, so there shouldn't be any problem. And we drive cars in a land of SUVs and pick-ups, window tinting shouldn't be a problem.