Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Haymarket, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sometimes. Got a long commute and last week i left afterwards for the outer banks. Had to wait at home for a bit to get lar

Occasionally. I have a long commute and a few weeks back, I had to wait at home for a bit on friday for a drive to the outer banks. With a bit of extra charge I could make for the Glen Allen charger and skip the Fredericksburg one, which saved me a good bit of traffic.

I also like to have more charge than I'm likely to need, especially in winter. Last winter I limped into a supercharger with only a few miles to spare, rather than the large-ish margin I thought I'd have. I wasn't really that close to getting stuck but I've done enough field work in remote places that over-planning is kinda second nature.
OK. I guess I just don't understand the "...no more worries about running low and having to charge overnight at home" part... it sounded like you were specifically trying to not have to charge overnight at home.

OK. I guess I just don't understand the "...no more worries about running low and having to charge overnight at home" part... it sounded like you were specifically trying to not have to charge overnight at home.

Naw, 9 times out of 10, I have all the time I need, no problem. Just every now and then I really would like to charge quickly and now I don't have to give it a second thought.

Fence is down, which I'd interpret to mean that major construction is largely finished. There still seems to be some left to do. There's a round hole on one of the panels with a note saying 'keep in place until meter is installed'. I'm guessing they still need to install a meter. The concrete work at the far end still isn't finished - they obviously need to pour more concrete.

1.jpg 2.jpg

I took some pics Sunday and am just now here to post them... but seems I'm too late to the party. lol I didn't see the note and the fence was still up. They must have removed it early Monday morning.

I'll be going through tomorrow (well, I guess later today lol) and won't be back this way for a few weeks, just before Christmas. It would be good to have this up and running for the holiday.

Reactions: vdiv and jthompson
I stopped in while driving by and met a couple of guys doing some concrete work. They were putting in a wheelchair ramp for one of the chargers (or maybe two)! Go figure. I never gave it much thought. They didn't know much about when the chargers would be open, but they said the power company work would only be a day. He said the empty pipes sticking out of the ground were for pulling wires which aren't yet there. So it may still be a ways off yet if they haven't even pulled the wires. I took a couple of photos.

They were curious about my X, so I opened the gull wing doors and let them see inside. They liked it a lot and said they didn't see them much while they were working. The guy also said they would be working on six more in the coming months, two in VA. They were from Bedford, PA.

DSCF1128.JPG

Notice the plastic over the charging units. Not sure what that means. Maybe they don't want Tesla owners seeing them from the road, pulling off the road only to find they aren't working.

DSCF1129.JPG

They were curious about my X, so I opened the gull wing doors and let them see inside. They liked it a lot and said they didn't see them much while they were working. The guy also said they would be working on six more in the coming months, two in VA. They were from Bedford, PA.
Did they hint as to where they would be?

Those pictures are very encouraging to see. Dominion VA is installing there service lateral. they will have two sets of cables come up next to the 3 pipes sitting there. once the direct bury cable is installed they will drop the precast pad and transformer on it. Either the contractor or Dominion will pull the service entrance cable into the Tesla switchboard and hook it up.

Then we wait!!:mad: Permits will then need to be finaled, the Dominion Electric beauractry has to kick it around for a while, fill out some forms, drink some coffee, collect some money, order fuses and other misc materials.

Get me a dominion project ID number and I might be able to help push it along through my contacts.

Those pictures are very encouraging to see. Dominion VA is installing there service lateral. they will have two sets of cables come up next to the 3 pipes sitting there. once the direct bury cable is installed they will drop the precast pad and transformer on it. Either the contractor or Dominion will pull the service entrance cable into the Tesla switchboard and hook it up.

Then we wait!!:mad: Permits will then need to be finaled, the Dominion Electric beauractry has to kick it around for a while, fill out some forms, drink some coffee, collect some money, order fuses and other misc materials.

Get me a dominion project ID number and I might be able to help push it along through my contacts.

..Just curious as to your most educated guess of an opening, is it probable to see power before the New Year?
o_O

..Just curious as to your most educated guess of an opening, is it probable to see power before the New Year?
o_O

Dominion could do anything they want as fast as possible, but that is rare. What I described above is more the norm. Given this site is in a Rural area things will move faster., not as many distraction in the regional office, but money talks and it all has to be approved and paid.

If you watched the tread on the springfield SC, construction sat there FOREVER waiting on power company to do their thing. The same pipes just sat there forever. They were so slow the road got repaved and restored just in time for the Power company to come back out and dig it up again. I think the government moves faster than the power company. I had a connection there and made some phone calls to get it connected but that was pure luck that I knew someone. look at the same progress at Annapolis and Baltimore. No where fast. :mad:

However, something went wrong at the York SC and it got hooked up right away.:D I prey that happens here given it is a rural location. Otherwise we could be waiting a while after New years.

I'm watching for pictures to be posted, and can gauge progress as they are posted.

There now about the same spot as Annapolis was at and there it sat forever. But they wont let that material just lay there, there probably coming back.

Again since there out in the country the work might get done faster.

Here in Arlington they already delayed my project a couple days because of the weather. They could dispatch there crews to run south and do emergency repairs after yesterday's snow storm.