Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Haymarket, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW, turns out I've been driving in range mode for some time and didn't realize it. :) Does that slow the acceleration at all?

Just a little bit. I think it knocks off the spikes on Acceleration.

Reading through your posts it is puzzling to figure out where your losing the power at. Just as a comparison. I knew my Volt would lose power (milage) every time I stopped and started at stores. So I simply turned off the heater to conserve the power when stopping and starting in town. It's like there was a recovery mode on start up to heat the car batteries or the cabin and would just kill the range. it was 2-3 miles of range per stop.

Yes I would agree that it was very mild this weekend to even have a range issue. Of course I don't know what the BMS system is doing for the battery pack.

Would it be more productive to sit it out at Haymarket longer to get the range even though it was reduced. go for a 95% charge? I know you were in a hurry.

Any chance of plugging in at all in Frederick at night? even 120v would probably keep the batteries warm. We are going into the rough months now. This summer I bet you will be fine.

haymarket super charger.jpg

Lots of S3X actions already going on at Haymarket!

HI I was out there on Saturday too!.. just 3 of us around 2 . word of caution a woman in a brand new 3 ( like just got it delivered a few hours before) was charging next to me ( third stall over? 3A. I was in 4 A ) and she came back after about 30-40 minutes and the charge port would not release . we tried everything . soft reset of the vehicle, all the standard tricks. start .stop charging etc. it wasnt cold. it looked like it just stopped communicating with the super charger. looks like the grey 3 in tangents picture but that was hours after I left . when I left I gave her the tesla 800 number hope fully they were able to get her unlocked

HI I was out there on Saturday too!.. just 3 of us around 2 . word of caution a woman in a brand new 3 ( like just got it delivered a few hours before) was charging next to me ( third stall over? 3A. I was in 4 A ) and she came back after about 30-40 minutes and the charge port would not release . we tried everything . soft reset of the vehicle, all the standard tricks. start .stop charging etc. it wasnt cold. it looked like it just stopped communicating with the super charger. looks like the grey 3 in tangents picture but that was hours after I left . when I left I gave her the tesla 800 number hope fully they were able to get her unlocked
I feel like every Tesla owner needs to know this:
model3_cable_release.PNG

Just a little bit. I think it knocks off the spikes on Acceleration.

Reading through your posts it is puzzling to figure out where your losing the power at. Just as a comparison. I knew my Volt would lose power (milage) every time I stopped and started at stores. So I simply turned off the heater to conserve the power when stopping and starting in town. It's like there was a recovery mode on start up to heat the car batteries or the cabin and would just kill the range. it was 2-3 miles of range per stop.

Yes I would agree that it was very mild this weekend to even have a range issue. Of course I don't know what the BMS system is doing for the battery pack.

Would it be more productive to sit it out at Haymarket longer to get the range even though it was reduced. go for a 95% charge? I know you were in a hurry.

Any chance of plugging in at all in Frederick at night? even 120v would probably keep the batteries warm. We are going into the rough months now. This summer I bet you will be fine.

This time I did plug in Monday night at my friends house to gain maybe 30 miles. But we took my car to a hike at the Monocacy aqueduct which was 20 miles each way. I think I already described all this. The bottom line is I had to drive 20 some miles to Gaithersburg to get an 89% charge so I could do the local driving and then make it back to Haymarket which I did today with about 36% left and charged up to 92%. Haymarket is a life saver so I don't want to sound ungrateful, but I hate the food there... lol I did find some fish wraps I could digest so I was able to kill time in the Sheetz "restaurant". They had a TV going so I got to watch the news. Not totally bad, but it was $10 for food I don't even like. Oh, well. When they get the charger in Frederick this year I will be on cloud 9! ... as long as they put it near the several restaurants and not on the other side which is near nothing!!! :)

I bet pretty much zip, but who knows?

I'd be extremely surprised. I've a buddy who seems to have a source on this, and he said this is the Gainesville SC. They moved it because the guys at the place they were going to put it, Cabelas, backed out.

The Haymarket SC is about as well-visited as any I've seen. I've been to a solid dozen now and it's not unusual for there to be only one or two others there, and some I've rarely seen anyone else (although that's stepping up as of late). I go past the Haymarket charger once or twice a day and I've frequently seen 5+ folks. Aside from National Harbor which always sees good traffic, Haymarket seems unusually busy. Kudos for them choosing a spot useful to so many.

This time I did plug in Monday night at my friends house to gain maybe 30 miles. But we took my car to a hike at the Monocacy aqueduct which was 20 miles each way. I think I already described all this. The bottom line is I had to drive 20 some miles to Gaithersburg to get an 89% charge so I could do the local driving and then make it back to Haymarket which I did today with about 36% left and charged up to 92%. Haymarket is a life saver so I don't want to sound ungrateful, but I hate the food there... lol I did find some fish wraps I could digest so I was able to kill time in the Sheetz "restaurant". They had a TV going so I got to watch the news. Not totally bad, but it was $10 for food I don't even like. Oh, well. When they get the charger in Frederick this year I will be on cloud 9! ... as long as they put it near the several restaurants and not on the other side which is near nothing!!! :)

I still wonder if you have your climate control on all the time? I spoke to the driver of our X and he runs from Columbia to Tysons, via DC daily and is not having any issue running around town and the 40 mile commute each way. the worst he had was 60 left when he got back home. He has the Laurel SC just in case.

I still wonder if you have your climate control on all the time? I spoke to the driver of our X and he runs from Columbia to Tysons, via DC daily and is not having any issue running around town and the 40 mile commute each way. the worst he had was 60 left when he got back home. He has the Laurel SC just in case.

Climate control? You mean heater? Yes, it is usually set to 68 or so but sometimes my legs get cold even with only the lower vents open, so I will turn it up a bit. Columbia to Tysons is not even 50 miles I don't think. How many miles did he drive compared to his claimed range? As I mentioned, I've had the range mode feature enabled for some time now and didn't realize. I think it is off now, but most of what I've reported is with it on. Also it hasn't really been cold lately. My problems are much worse in the real cold.

I paid a bit of attention yesterday and most of the trip the car reported below 350 Wh/m. That's a good number. But once I reach Frederick the local driving seems to knock the crap out of my range.

I paid a bit of attention yesterday and most of the trip the car reported below 350 Wh/m. That's a good number. But once I reach Frederick the local driving seems to knock the crap out of my range.
I believe so to. It's the heater, warming the car back up. I swear the car does a quick blast to heat the car back up costing you a couple miles at ever stop.

You have an option in your settings, to keep the heat on while your out of the car. That will burn up the milage real quick. Same as summer time when you set the car to maintain the AC while you run into the store. With your x im sure it takes alot more to warm up the cabin. Does the X have rear seat controls? are they turned on?

IT's 40 miles between Tysons and Columbia, shortest route. But he tends to run through town Roslynn and DC, making stops and adding mileage to the trip.

I believe so to. It's the heater, warming the car back up. I swear the car does a quick blast to heat the car back up costing you a couple miles at ever stop.

You have an option in your settings, to keep the heat on while your out of the car. That will burn up the milage real quick. Same as summer time when you set the car to maintain the AC while you run into the store. With your x im sure it takes alot more to warm up the cabin. Does the X have rear seat controls? are they turned on?

IT's 40 miles between Tysons and Columbia, shortest route. But he tends to run through town Roslynn and DC, making stops and adding mileage to the trip.

Ok, but it's not like I'm stopping every two miles. I drive across town to visit a friend and back twice usually. Then back to VA. So four trips, make it six for good measure and that's still only 12 miles. The heater isn't running when I'm away. The car is cold when I get back in. That's the main reason why I want a proper power source when I'm here, to be able to use the preconditioning, lol.

None of the seat heaters are on other than mine. I always set the passenger heat lower than mine. I don't see much point in turning it off as every time the car turns a corner the air inside swirls around.

Ok, but it's not like I'm stopping every two miles. I drive across town to visit a friend and back twice usually. Then back to VA. So four trips, make it six for good measure and that's still only 12 miles. The heater isn't running when I'm away. The car is cold when I get back in. That's the main reason why I want a proper power source when I'm here, to be able to use the preconditioning, lol.

OK you got me then. I thought you starting and stopping a lot in town. Shame we can't see where the energy is going. I see spikes on my consumption loading up and heading out for a trip but usually calms way down once I'm moving.