Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Haymarket, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
well i simply forgot to preheat my car last week, and paid for it. 26 degrees out and the car jumped to over 500 wh/hr a figure I had never seen in the car. I was playing catch up all day running around. Days after that the numbers dropped back down, when I pre-heated.

I thought if we left the car plugged in the battery would heat itself? I had turned the heat down to 65 to see if that would help much, but it didn't.

Is there a way to preheat washer fluid and or back window? Last weekend was my first dealings with heavy snow with the S. set it before I get out of the car?
I don’t think (don’t quote me on this) that the battery heats itself on its own. I think you need to either have it be actively charging or pre-heating the cabin and drawing power that way for it to actually stay warm.

Not sure about the washer fluid but at least on the 3, if the temperature outside/inside the car warrants it, it will turn on both the front and rear defrosters when turning on cabin heat. But this means you have to set an interior temperature that is sufficiently higher than the outside air.

• Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark
I can't tell if 1A is a handicap spot or not. The laipa on the ground looks like they tried to power wash it away, and there is no sign on the pole, but the spot is wide as if it were meant to be a handicap spot.

Also, when. I left my loaner 60 at 18% I was only getting 47kW with no pairing. I don't have any clue what's normal for a 60.

I can't tell if 1A is a handicap spot or not. The laipa on the ground looks like they tried to power wash it away, and there is no sign on the pole, but the spot is wide as if it were meant to be a handicap spot.

Also, when. I left my loaner 60 at 18% I was only getting 47kW with no pairing. I don't have any clue what's normal for a 60.

I saw someone report 42 kW at stall 1B on plugshare a few days ago. I think this time of year many low wattage reports are because of cold batteries.

When I was just at Haymarket to charge there was a concrete curb between the handicap spot and the others. Not sure what the purpose of that is.

In order to get a ticket in the handicapped spot, there must be a clear ground marking AND a sign post. If doesnt have both, it is not a handicapped spot.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark and ckoval7
Gnuarm

Did you see the post on Loudon -Leesburg has a SC under construction, the equipment is on site. Near the theaters and probably by the Wegman's. this one should solve your range issue. Probably 2 miles off 15 east on Rt 7. Don't know if you can make it another 30 miles from Haymarket and just hit this one both ways to solve your problem.

Thanks for the info. Haymarket is pretty good, it's just that for winter use the local driving really whacks the range. This will help for sure, but the one in Frederick will be the big winner making it possible to just charge whenever I need it during the visit and at a time that works best for me.

Last trip up to Frederick, I took the highway route up 95 and the beltway. Being on Sunday traffic wasn't so bad and I got to Gaithersburg early enough to get an open spot. Topping the charge only 25 miles from Fredneck gave me enough charge so that with a couple of hours charging at Wilcom's Inn I was able to reach Haymarket with no problem. I'm not driving that route during the week though. The traffic is rated the worst in the nation these days. I don't know how anyplace can be worse than Boston, but there it is.

I'll be glad when the weather is warmer and I can get my range back. I'm so glad I bought the max battery pack with my car. Oh yeah, I'm also sold on the utility of destination chargers. A two hour dinner meant I had 30% range back. I tried that with J1772 chargers and I get barely as much charge as it took to drive there. Unfortunately there still aren't very many of those in useful locations around Frederick. I'm trying to see if I can plant seeds on destination chargers in various locations around Frederick.

Oh yeah, I am typing this from the Doubletree hotel in Rocky Mount which has a bank of Superchargers in the parking lot. Heaven!

Reactions: Big Earl
Thanks for the info. Haymarket is pretty good, it's just that for winter use the local driving really whacks the range. This will help for sure, but the one in Frederick will be the big winner making it possible to just charge whenever I need it during the visit and at a time that works best for me.

Last trip up to Frederick, I took the highway route up 95 and the beltway. Being on Sunday traffic wasn't so bad and I got to Gaithersburg early enough to get an open spot. Topping the charge only 25 miles from Fredneck gave me enough charge so that with a couple of hours charging at Wilcom's Inn I was able to reach Haymarket with no problem. I'm not driving that route during the week though. The traffic is rated the worst in the nation these days. I don't know how anyplace can be worse than Boston, but there it is.

I'll be glad when the weather is warmer and I can get my range back. I'm so glad I bought the max battery pack with my car. Oh yeah, I'm also sold on the utility of destination chargers. A two hour dinner meant I had 30% range back. I tried that with J1772 chargers and I get barely as much charge as it took to drive there. Unfortunately there still aren't very many of those in useful locations around Frederick. I'm trying to see if I can plant seeds on destination chargers in various locations around Frederick.

Oh yeah, I am typing this from the Doubletree hotel in Rocky Mount which has a bank of Superchargers in the parking lot. Heaven!
Grab some Outback while you wait! Ha

I saw a set of charging rate graphs once and for the batteries other than the 100 kWh, many would have a pretty severe slope on the low end as well as the high end. The 100 kWh battery seems to be the best only limiting charge rate below something like 10% and of course above 50%.

On the graphs where the rate was limited over the entire charging process, it seems to be a triangle with a peak at 20% or so. So some have speculated the 100 kWh battery can be charged faster between 20 and 50%. Tesla has announced the release of a new double rate charger. I doubt they will retro fit these to any of the exiting installations like Haymarket.

Gnuarm

Did you see the post on Loudon -Leesburg has a SC under construction, the equipment is on site. Near the theaters and probably by the Wegman's. this one should solve your range issue. Probably 2 miles off 15 east on Rt 7. Don't know if you can make it another 30 miles from Haymarket and just hit this one both ways to solve your problem.

I would also point out that while this charger is in a better location, it is only 50 kW. I don't get why they do that. 75 kW is not too bad but 50 kW is less than half the rate of the full blown supercharger. Maybe this is to discourage trip charging and promote local charging. If you are shopping for an hour or two a 50 kW connection is great! On a trip where you want to get back on the road, not so much.

I would also point out that while this charger is in a better location, it is only 50 kW. I don't get why they do that. 75 kW is not too bad but 50 kW is less than half the rate of the full blown supercharger. Maybe this is to discourage trip charging and promote local charging. If you are shopping for an hour or two a 50 kW connection is great! On a trip where you want to get back on the road, not so much.

What? Haymarket is 120 kW (soon to be 145 kW) max.

Yeah, sorry, I got some bad info somehow. The Leesburg Urban chargers will be 72 kW. o_O

I charged at this location this evening with only two empty slots, but one of them seems broken. When I plugged into 4B it didn't start charging and when I got out of the car to disconnect the light at the charge port was flashing orange. I reported it and the guy on the 800 number said the light meant it was charging at a slow rate. Odd since the car didn't report it ever starting to charge.

A car pulled out of 4A and I took the slot and got a high rate.

A guy in a model 3 with temporary tags and several people in his car pulled in to charge at 4B and I told him about that unit not working. He moved down to the other end to back into 1B next to the handicapped slot. With the ICE traffic coming in behind him it was a bit awkward for him. Traffic isn't expecting to see anyone backing up along these chargers.

I think at some point it is going to be a lot more awkward to use this charger as the neighborhood grows. I'm sure glad it's there now.

I charged at this location this evening with only two empty slots, but one of them seems broken. When I plugged into 4B it didn't start charging and when I got out of the car to disconnect the light at the charge port was flashing orange. I reported it and the guy on the 800 number said the light meant it was charging at a slow rate. Odd since the car didn't report it ever starting to charge.

A car pulled out of 4A and I took the slot and got a high rate.

A guy in a model 3 with temporary tags and several people in his car pulled in to charge at 4B and I told him about that unit not working. He moved down to the other end to back into 1B next to the handicapped slot. With the ICE traffic coming in behind him it was a bit awkward for him. Traffic isn't expecting to see anyone backing up along these chargers.

I think at some point it is going to be a lot more awkward to use this charger as the neighborhood grows. I'm sure glad it's there now.
From the Tesla Owners Manual:
  • SOLID AMBER: The connector is not fully plugged in. Realign the connector to the charge port and insert fully.
  • BLINKING AMBER: Model S/X (and I suspect 3) is charging at a reduced current (AC charging only)."

Destination chargers can be even more convenient than Superchargers/DCFC sometimes. Say driving to your destination would use 85% of your EV range. If there is destination charging, you wouldn't even need to bother to stop along the way at a fast charging station, and could simply park and plug in at your destination, with a 100% charge awaiting you the next morning. Literally 0 time lost due to charging, while if there was no destination charging, even a stop at a V3 Supercharger would result in increased travel time.

Reactions: bhzmark