TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharger - Hays, KS

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by Cottonwood, May 20, 2014.

1. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

I called around and no one at the obvious businesses knew anything about a Tesla Supercharger. I then looked on the Hays, KS town website, and they had no on-line permit search system, but there was an e-mail address for the . I sent him an e-mail and got this reply from Jesse within a few hours:

I sent an e-mail thank you and got this reply:

There you go! We now have confirmation that Limon, CO; Goodland, KS; and Hays, KS are all under construction! The I-70 corridor from Denver to St Louis is off to a serious start!

With Limon, that brings the total of completed and under-construction Superchargers to 100! Hays is pretty close to the Geographic center of the contiguous United States; Lebanon, KS. Might be a nice place for the 100th Supercharger in the U.S.

2. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

Nice work! I emailed them in late March and the person who I reached didn't know what a Supercharger was. Shows how quickly things can change!

3. Cottonwood

#3 Cottonwood, May 20, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
    Yes, I understand! I sent a link to the Tesla Supercharger Page and included a picture in the e-mail. It is amazing how awareness is getting out there, though!

4. callmesam

callmesam Member

Great detective work Cottonwood! Glad to see that your research is better than Tesla's disclosures. This is my next coast to coast route, so I'm excited to not have to jog north through Wyoming to go East.

5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

#5 ItsNotAboutTheMoney, May 20, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
    Seems like Tesla's racing through Kansas, wind at their back.

For those in the Texas triangle: Hays is only 582 miles from Corsicana.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Great news!

7. Cottonwood

Yes, it's downhill and the wind is at your back going from Denver to St Louis!

With active construction at three Supercharger Sites (Limon, Goodland, and Hays), 3 to 4 weeks per site, and 4 more to go until St Louis (Salina, Topeka, Independence, and Columbia), I-70 could be complete from Denver to St Louis in time for the TMC Connect caravan in July. That is optimistic, but we can hope... :wink:

BTW, the address is:

Applebee's Neighborhood Grill
    4101 Vine St
    Hays, KS 67601​

Google Maps

8. Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone Member

9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Well, Tesla's map would suggest the next stop is near Topeka, but that's 200 miles. So, maybe Junction City? Or, depending on whether they're just racing East, maybe they could even add an extra one in Salina.

10. Cottonwood

Trust Cottonwood the Magnificent The next Supercharger to the east of Hays, will be in Salina...

11. Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone Member

Tesla's map is pretty much a rough estimate.

12. gnelson

gnelson Member

Salina makes sense because it will be useful for those heading north from OK City.

13. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Ah yes, OKC to Denver would go that way. According to Google, town/city to town/city it's:
    Salina, ks <- 125 miles -> Wellington, KS <- 135 miles -> OKC, OK

Then something around Topeka for travel East. There's a rest area east of Topeka, 119 miles east of Exit 252 in Salina. But it's around 136 miles from Topeka to Wichita which would mean a diversion or a need for destination charging for anyone making that trip. (I'm thinking of the future, with the sprawling Midwest a good candidate for electrification).

14. Cottonwood

And for near-term escapees paddling off of the Texas Island... :wink:

15. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Oh Magnificent One, that would be a really good sign that Tesla's serious about the coverage since it makes a lot of long-term sense. (And it's only 512 miles from Tesla's Corsicana Supercharger.)

16. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

I'm so excited they are coming my way (in Kansas City). And very happy that Tesla is working to cover the entire US. It really sucks being in a non-hot area for something and getting ignored. Get the whole US covered! When that happens, more people will be taking Tesla seriously.

Hays is still a little far out for me to check out and take pictures personally, but once they are hitting closer to the KC area I will provide periodic updates with pictures. Though I may take a trip out to Denver later this summer -- if so I can drop by and check each one out.

17. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Junction City would be 100% perfect for me, but I'll take Salina.

18. Cottonwood

The real answer is Limon, Goodland, Hays, Salina, Topeka, somewhere east of KC (like Independence), Columbia, and then it's an easy drive to St Louis...

19. Orchard Road

Orchard Road Member

I am sending someone east from Denver tomorrow to get photos of Limon, Goodland, Hays and Salinas(hopefully). Will keep you posted.

20. Liz G

Liz G P03056

That is almost exactly the stops I made using RV parks when I traveled from St. Louis to Denver last year.