Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hays, KS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the current construction in Hays. A lot of trenching... you can see the Green Utility Box in the background. So... Cottonwood the Magnificent.... any chance you can divine addresses between Hays and Kansas City?
photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

Last edited:
Here is the current construction in Hays. A lot of trenching... you can see the Green Utility Box in the background. So... Cottonwood the Magnificent.... any chance you can divine addresses between Hays and Kansas City?
View attachment 49927

That green transformer is probably the existing transformer for Applebee's. However, it is a good sign, because they probably only need to do a short run across the parking lot from that transformer to the new transformer for the Supercharger.

Thanks for the picks.

Like I said, the locations on towards KC are Salina and Topeka. Will work on divining the exact addresses in those places.

Here is another picture from Hays this morning... Not much has changed over the holiday weekend. I couldn't find any construction around Topeka or Salina. I agree with your comment about the short run from the utility box... hopefully it will go quickly.

Thanks for the great pics. It looks like the utility run will be even easier. See my captures from Google Maps and Streetview below, Applebee's - Hays, KS. It looks like there is a transformer in place for Applebee's immediately to the east of the Supercharger location. That should make for a very short HV conduit run from the existing Applebee's Transformer to the new Supercharger Transformer.

Hopefully, this install will go quickly, and the installation crew can go to another site to the east on I-70 next!

Plan, aerial view from Google Maps, Applebee's - Hays, KS:
Hays-2.jpg

Site view from Google Maps Streetview:
Hays-1.jpg

Excuse the bad joke.... but in this case SPY = "Supercharger Photographing Yuppie"

I thought it was more like SCouting or a bit of Sleuthing to identify and confirm the newest SpC locations.
Looking for and finding the "diamond" [location] that connects and extends the existing SpC Map DOTS: puzzle-solving in the real world.

On a side-note:
I wonder if the new Superchargers going forward will be 120 or 135 kW capable? I have seen pics of some 135 kW Superchargers in NJ, don't know how the rest of the roll-out will be impacted.

One more side-note:
Another Forum member and I are planning to attend/drive to TMC Connect in Mid-July, and we are currently planning to head West thru Amarillo and Albuquerque to join up with SpC network @ Gallup, NM. Since we can only plan our trek for what we know, IF the Hays or Salinas, KS SpC come on-line in the next 45 days, that would possibly be another (quicker) path to North California. Spending 6 or 7 hours a day at an RV park is not the best way to cover vast amounts of miles. Dallas to Salinas is 448 miles, might take two RV park stops, but then be on the SpC highway.

On a side-note:
I wonder if the new Superchargers going forward will be 120 or 135 kW capable? I have seen pics of some 135 kW Superchargers in NJ, don't know how the rest of the roll-out will be impacted.

I'm fairly certain all new locations are 135kW. However I'm not sure that a version of the pedestal that will be used at this location can be predicted. Gila Bend, AZ and Macon, GA both went live around the same date but both have different style pedestals. I think the Macon, GA version is newer so maybe that will be the new standard. Not sure what Tesla's plan is for going back and updating existing locations. Those that benefited from the first locations now have outdated technology (120 vs 135). Wonder if this is information we should track on the wiki page - http://supercharge.redshiftsoft.com/

Topeka Supercharger

That green transformer is probably the existing transformer for Applebee's. However, it is a good sign, because they probably only need to do a short run across the parking lot from that transformer to the new transformer for the Supercharger.

Thanks for the picks.

Like I said, the locations on towards KC are Salina and Topeka. Will work on divining the exact addresses in those places.

I have it on pretty good authority it'll be in Topeka. As of now it'll be near I-70.

Topeka location

Sorry if I was not clear. I am pretty sure that there will be Superchargers in Salina AND Topeka; we just don't know the exact locations in those towns, yet.

I checked Topeka's permits department and didn't see any online info about these types of projects. I'll be there later this week though visiting family - can poke around a couple promising locations and see if anything's in process. How about the Residence Inn, Hampton Inn, Quality Inn, or Fairfield Inn on the west side of town near the junction of I70 and I470? Lots of restaurants and shops close by. There's a Holiday Inn Express on that side of town as well even closer to I-70, but restaurant options are pretty slim over there...

Thanks to all who have posted on this topic. Information about charging the I-70 corridor has been hard to come by but will be a real game changer for those of us in KC.

I have been hoping that the Topeka Supercharger would be located at the Turnpike Service area on the east side of Topeka and have sent this suggestion to Tesla. There are several fast food restaurants, a convenience store, gift shop, and restrooms there. It would also conveniently serve those travelling south down I-35. However, the most important aspect of this location is that you do not have to get on and off the turnpike and deal with the related tolls and delays. Thoughts?

Thanks to all who have posted on this topic. Information about charging the I-70 corridor has been hard to come by but will be a real game changer for those of us in KC.

I have been hoping that the Topeka Supercharger would be located at the Turnpike Service area on the east side of Topeka and have sent this suggestion to Tesla. There are several fast food restaurants, a convenience store, gift shop, and restrooms there. It would also conveniently serve those travelling south down I-35. However, the most important aspect of this location is that you do not have to get on and off the turnpike and deal with the related tolls and delays. Thoughts?

I'm as guilty as the rest of us, but maybe this discussion of other Superchargers on I-70 should move to Watching for I-70 Superchargers from Denver to St. Louis

Mods: Please feel free to move my posts and maybe others from this Hays thread to the more general I-70 thread on the Midwest forum. Thanks!

How is there a planned ribbon cutting without it being open yet? This would be a first. (I know you're just relaying the info)

Glen Allen, VA was not available for charging until its ribbon cutting. I have no idea why they would have a ribbon cutting in Hays - will they get any Teslas there besides the ones trucked in for testing?

On edit: If you look at the original article, it says the supercharger will open in a week or so. It does not mention an actual ribbon cutting event.