Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Heatherbrae NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awesome updates @NovoCasGreeny - thanks. I have to drive there specifically to check it out (which is always fun in a Tesla).
Getting closer, almost touching distance, to the day I can do the same Mike!! It's a two minute detour on my way home and it turns out the guys building it are friends with someone doing some work for me on one of my sites, so it is a nice social call too!

Reactions: MangroveMike
Awesome updates @NovoCasGreeny - thanks. I have to drive there specifically to check it out (which is always fun in a Tesla).
Let me get this right @MangroveMike ...

You're going to drive all the way from Mayfield to Heatherbrae to check it out !

Make sure you start with 100% and remember the Heatherbrae supercharger is not up yet so you will have to be resourceful to make it home!

• Funny
Reactions: MangroveMike
Perfect! Happy to piggy back on your good work :) !

I did the Sydney / Armidale return trip this weekend. We stayed in Newcastle and left with a full battery (90kw). I charged up for 1.5 hours in Gloucester (see PlugShare for details) and headed up the hill to Armidale. It's a very big hill!

Arrived in Armidale with 30% charge.

Charged at The Armidale School and gave the kids doing tech and robotics a talk about Tesla.

We came back via Port Macquarie supercharger. Drove direct from PM to home (Manly) and arrived with 19% charge. Pretty easy.

It looks like the Heatherbrae SC still has a way to go.

• Love
Reactions: *KT* and RichardMcN
I did the Sydney / Armidale return trip this weekend. We stayed in Newcastle and left with a full battery (90kw). I charged up for 1.5 hours in Gloucester (see PlugShare for details) and headed up the hill to Armidale. It's a very big hill!

Arrived in Armidale with 30% charge.

Charged at The Armidale School and gave the kids doing tech and robotics a talk about Tesla.

We came back via Port Macquarie supercharger. Drove direct from PM to home (Manly) and arrived with 19% charge. Pretty easy.

It looks like the Heatherbrae SC still has a way to go.

Fantastic @NikolaRocks I had seen this 2011 photo of the Gloucester charger, but it wasn't on Plugshare and I couldn't see it on Google Earth so I assumed it was there no longer. And right in the middle of town too!

Makes the whole Armidale run doable in a fun way on that great road!

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuq
Fantastic @NikolaRocks I had seen this 2011 photo of the Gloucester charger, but it wasn't on Plugshare and I couldn't see it on Google Earth so I assumed it was there no longer. And right in the middle of town too!

That's crazy that such a small town had that facility 5 years ago! Plugshare describes it as a three phase? So is it a generic 3-phase plug (5 pin)? Interesting that it is signed as an electric vehicle charging station as most cars would need an adaptor - but then, most EVs wouldn't be going on that road without a lot of planning!

• Helpful
Reactions: Novatec
That's crazy that such a small town had that facility 5 years ago! Plugshare describes it as a three phase? So is it a generic 3-phase plug (5 pin)? Interesting that it is signed as an electric vehicle charging station as most cars would need an adaptor - but then, most EVs wouldn't be going on that road without a lot of planning!

The guy responsible for this charger, Howard Eastwood, is an absolute legend. I called to say thanks and we talked for ages about his experience with electric vehicles back in 2008. He built a car with a mazda body, motor from Switzerland and lithium batteries. It had a 170km range and we wanted to visit friends and family from Glen Innes to Canberra so he installed 3-phase power throughout the region. He said he chose towns with good facilities because he knew his wife would like them.

He said I was the first city slicker to get out of the city and use one of his chargers. He is happy to open them for anybody who is driving a pure electric car but not for "bloody stupid hybrids".

I'm going to try to get up to Glen Innes to show him the Tesla in the new year. Its worth giving him a call if you want a laugh and a chat with a true ground breaker.

Makes the whole Armidale run doable in a fun way on that great road!

If you want some real fun try the drive from Armidale to Port Macquarie.

Let me get this right @MangroveMike ...

You're going to drive all the way from Mayfield to Heatherbrae to check it out !

Make sure you start with 100% and remember the Heatherbrae supercharger is not up yet so you will have to be resourceful to make it home!

Fortunately, I also have the Wetlands Charger if I get stuck. Also I can do Port Macquarie SC in a pinch if I need to make it back.

Reactions: RichardMcN
I took the exhausting journey out to get the weekly fix. I even had new tyres fitted for the privilege. I only have 20-30 journeys left in an ICE, at lest this one is for a good reason. Stalls are nearly all installed. Power poles are in waiting for the outage. Switch on still planned for the week prior to Xmas from what I can tell, you can PM me if you really really need to know but nothing official from Tesla on this.
20161125_155216.jpg
20161125_155908.jpg
20161125_155916.jpg

The guy responsible for this charger, Howard Eastwood, is an absolute legend. I called to say thanks and we talked for ages about his experience with electric vehicles back in 2008. He built a car with a mazda body, motor from Switzerland and lithium batteries. It had a 170km range and we wanted to visit friends and family from Glen Innes to Canberra so he installed 3-phase power throughout the region. He said he chose towns with good facilities because he knew his wife would like them.

He said I was the first city slicker to get out of the city and use one of his chargers. He is happy to open them for anybody who is driving a pure electric car but not for "bloody stupid hybrids".

I'm going to try to get up to Glen Innes to show him the Tesla in the new year. Its worth giving him a call if you want a laugh and a chat with a true ground breaker.
Charging at Gloucester now @NikolaRocks over brunch at one of the several cafes nearby. Thanks for putting this on the map.

Tomight I'll try out my blue Euro tail to charge at 32A single phase!

Reactions: NikolaRocks
I took the exhausting journey out to get the weekly fix. I even had new tyres fitted for the privilege. I only have 20-30 journeys left in an ICE, at lest this one is for a good reason. Stalls are nearly all installed. Power poles are in waiting for the outage. Switch on still planned for the week prior to Xmas from what I can tell, you can PM me if you really really need to know but nothing official from Tesla on this.View attachment 203454 View attachment 203455 View attachment 203456

Thanks for the updates. What's this ICE rubbish ? :)

20161202_133955.jpg
20161202_133958.jpg
20161202_134022.jpg
20161202_133955.jpg
20161202_133958.jpg
20161202_134022.jpg

Now for the important business, everything is installed and Ausgrid were onsite playing in the kiosk, I am assuming they were completing the practical completion check. This check is done two weeks before the outage, so all being well that would mean power will be switched on on the 16th....I won't be able to take some photos that day..........I am getting my Tesla from St Leonards!!!!!!!!! but I should be able to check that it's working the on Saturday 17th!!!!