Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Heatherbrae NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stop at the Heatherbrae SC frequently and either grab a coffee at the servo, or go across to McDonalds which is a relatively short walk. You do have to cross the highway but there is a pedestrian crossing at the lights, so its quite safe. And, you can order ahead at McDonalds so its ready when you arrive :).
The servo has a fried food bar, (chips/burgers etc).
As I understand, idle fees only get applied if there are a number of vehicle at the SC. Most times I've been at this one, I am the only one.

Was that your check-in? :)

Yep. While it charged I did 4 laps of the oval to get some exercise.

On my next visit to Port Macquarie in a couple of weeks, I'm going to push the car to get to Nabiac without an intermediate charge [at Wallsend or Heatherbrae].

SR+, 270KM. 95% start charge. Abetterrouteplanner says I should make it with 7% to spare. Should be easy.
My only concern is if the Nabiac charger is out of action for any reason. I'm not sure what my fall back would be.

Yep. While it charged I did 4 laps of the oval to get some exercise.

On my next visit to Port Macquarie in a couple of weeks, I'm going to push the car to get to Nabiac without an intermediate charge [at Wallsend or Heatherbrae].

SR+, 270KM. 95% start charge. Abetterrouteplanner says I should make it with 7% to spare. Should be easy.
My only concern is if the Nabiac charger is out of action for any reason. I'm not sure what my fall back would be.
I’ve had many occasions I’ve regretted not grabbing some quick juice at a supercharger!
I’d recommend even a 5 minute stop at heatherbrae.

• Helpful
Reactions: Anubis and Vostok
Yes, the concern of every BEV driver. There’s a couple of Plugshare Reports of that charger being out of action, and there is no redundancy if it is. If one is absolutely relying on a charge mid-trip to make the destination, and it’s OoO when you get there - *sugar*!

I have wondered though with the NRMA chargers, can the CCS2 and CHADeMO be used at the same time (e.g. Model 3 on one and Nissan Leaf on the other)? And if one is not working are both not working?

I think it’s unlikely I’ll get my car before this trip, but next time we’ll just book at the Alabaster and charge overnight. With LR AWD, Abetterrouteplanner says we’d make it easy without stopping to charge.

I'm not sure what my fall back would be.

Always have a Plan B.
When off the SC route, using ABP or Plugshare, ensure you can get to your charger with 10%. If you get there and the charger is inoperable, plan B should be an accessible alternative (by hypermiling if necessary) and having the adapter necessary; or any property that has a standard 10A power point, your UMC an extension cord and a mattress in the back of the car.

I have wondered though with the NRMA chargers, can the CCS2 and CHADeMO be used at the same time (e.g. Model 3 on one and Nissan Leaf on the other)? And if one is not working are both not working?

No, it's only one at a time. A Model 3 owner here in Tas was in a predicament on the weekend, in that he rocked up at the Launceston fast charger (Tritium Veefil, same as NRMA's) and found an Outlander PHEV plugged into the Chademo outlet.. and had finished charging.. but it was still plugged in to his car. As a result the unit was technically still "in use" on the Chademo side and the Model 3 owner couldn't use the CCS2 cable.

He sought advice in our FB group and after waiting for the Outlander owner for 30 minutes he very carefully unplugged the Outlander so that he could start his own charge.

I know touching someone else's car is bad etiquette but so is not moving your car from a fast charger when done.

I totally understand the units only being able to supply 50 kW so not being able to charge both cars at once, but it would be nice if it was smart enough to "queue" the other port to start, if connected, when the first is complete.

Reactions: baillies and Vostok
I actually consider EV drivers who charge and leave their car plugged in when done (or not plugged in at all) to be the height of rudeness, particularly at a single station. I think it is worse than being ICEd. Most ICE drivers would never have turned their mind to the issue. As an EV charger you absolutely know than another EV is likely to come along and need that spot and that, for them, they may be waiting for many minutes to charge themselves even when you do come back.

It can ruin a whole trip, particularly if the charging station in question is one used for long distance driving.

:angryface:

Reactions: Chuq and Vostok
I know touching someone else's car is bad etiquette but so is not moving your car from a fast charger when done.
I actually consider EV drivers who charge and leave their car plugged in when done (or not plugged in at all) to be the height of rudeness, particularly at a single station.
I noticed on the Nabiac check-ins on Plugshare a few indicated that any driver turning up and needing a charge can PM them if they needed to charge. Very civil, although not every BEV driver will be on Plugshare or think of looking at Plugshare to see if the owner of the plugged-in EV they are staring at has made that kind of invitation.

I intend to make a laminated card with my phone number on it, and plonk it on the dash so that people can call me if I’m plugged in and they need to charge more than I do (or I am close to finishing).

I managed to get an initial charge rate of 127kW on my 2018 model S (battery was at 25%) this weekend at Heatherbrae (and I had 126kW at Port Macquarie on Friday night with initial charge at 32%). I have never achieved this charge rate before. Anyone else noticed a difference?

I managed to get an initial charge rate of 127kW on my 2018 model S (battery was at 25%) this weekend at Heatherbrae (and I had 126kW at Port Macquarie on Friday night with initial charge at 32%). I have never achieved this charge rate before. Anyone else noticed a difference?
I charged for the first time there yesterday (early afternoon... is your Model S red? :D) my recollection was it was only around 50kW. I was getting around 250 km/hr charging, battery was a bit under 70%, charged to 90%, took about 20 minutes.

One thing we did notice when using Heatherbrae while heading south...
The right hand turn across the highway can be a bit challenging in busy holiday times....
That whole section of road would work much better if there were traffic lights, or another roundabout down near the gardens...
When Chargefox Karuah opens, I would probably prefer that option when driving south in bust times, unless the road changes around Heatherbrae,

One thing we did notice when using Heatherbrae while heading south... The right hand turn across the highway can be a bit challenging in busy holiday times....
Yep, I saw someone waiting to turn right at that turning bay and thought “good luck”. When the traffic lights further south go red, though, you should get a bit of a break and a chance to turn. Otherwise, maybe they should provide a U-turning bay at the lights (they are very rare but do exist).

When Chargefox Karuah opens, I would probably prefer that option when driving south in bust times, unless the road changes around Heatherbrae
Yep, that’s our plan. The food options close to the Heatherbrae SC are poor (servo, Maccas at the lights, while the better food options near the roundabout are too far away for a comfortable walk while your car is charging). Karuah should be much better with local cafes and multiple stalls.

We charged at Nabiac on the way back from Taree. There are two cafes to eat at not far away from the NRMA charger. The risk is there’s only one charger, so if it’s in use, you either wait or keep going if you have enough charge to get to Heatherbrae. When we arrived, another Model 3 was just leaving.

• Informative
Reactions: MC3OZ
When I charged there in January, it looked like there was a shell of a restaurant or cafe under construction next to the servo next door. Am I imagining things? That would be very convenient if that’s what it is (or will be).