TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Helena, MT

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by MarcoRP, Oct 27, 2019.

1. MarcoRP

MarcoRP @MontrealTesla

A Supercharger is under construction at the Super 1 Foods in Helena Montana!
    Address: 3120 Queen Annes St, Helena, MT 59602, United States
    GPS: 46.618568, -112.007278

This will be an 8-stall Supercharger, probably V3. Construction is pretty much complete, except that we are only missing the cabinets and stalls. Will add on Supercharge Info. Good news!

Photos by Vxtus on PlugShare: location
    F27D6A16-D903-418C-A565-7A83054EEE38.jpeg 59BEE374-56CC-46D0-9B60-E9F27D08F354.jpeg C17E8D0F-9027-435E-B876-44C024E1E33A.jpeg 3C465139-A628-41EB-8D8D-19C623C5B331.jpeg

• Informative x 12
    • Like x 11
    • Love x 2
  2. PACEMD

PACEMD Member

Cool! Thanks......

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Helena, MT

Along Primary Interstates: I-15
    Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-12, US-287
    Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-15

To: End (Sweet Grass, MT) - 202.9 miles
    Diversion: 0.7 miles

To: Bozeman, MT (US-12/US-287, US-287, I-90) - 96.9 miles
    To: Fort McLeod, AB (US-287, US-89, MT-464, US-89/AB-2) - 270 miles
    To: Medicine Hat, AB (I-15/AB-4, AB-36, AB-3, l) - 336.2 miles
    To: Maple Creek, SK (I-15, l, US-87, US-2, MT-232, MT-233/SK-21) - 319.8 miles*
    To: Whitewood, SK (I-15, l, US-87, US-2, US-191/SK-4, SK-13, SK-58, SK-43, SK-2, TCH) - 685 miles*
    To: Winnipeg, MB ((I-15, l, US-87, US-2, MT-24/SK-2, SK-18, SK-36, SK-13/MB-2, MB-21, TCH) - 894.8 miles*

Travel to the Montana state capital will become a lot easier with this Supercharger.

But for us network nerds, what we care about is that it is a step towards completion of I-15.
    Will reduce the distance to the northern end from 268.2 miles to 202.9 miles.
    Maybe they'll work on Great Falls, MT next...

In addition, it's near US-12 and US-287 (concurrent with I-15 there) so adds to the Superchargers on two US Numbered Highways as well.

* This actually gets a bit silly on Supercharge.info/Mapbox: it routes to Whitewood, SK via Moose Jaw, SK, but if I add in the Moose Jaw, SK Supercharger as a via point, it routes to Moose Jaw, SK joining the TCH before Swift Current, SK and the total estimated distance and time to Whitewood, SK drops. And if I map to Regina, SK it joins the TCH at Maple Creek, SK. :-/

• Like x 2
  4. mky98106

mky98106 New Member

This is great news. Helena is often a destination or a waypoint for me on my trips to the ancestral lands of Montana. Now, if we could get Great Falls and the west and east sides of Glacier Park, I would be a very happy camper.

• Like x 2
  5. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Well-Known Member

:D Ha! Construction is pretty much complete except for...you know...missing all of the equipment.
    I might describe that as having some of the preparation work done.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 2
  6. zarkuu

zarkuu Member

Excellent news! My wife and I travel to Helena often from Bozeman and this is the SC we've been waiting over 4 years for.

7. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

And I thought all the posts that say "finished!" or "complete!" after the bollards are installed were annoying :) (It often takes over a month for the transformer, testing, or some other delay.)

• Like x 1
  8. Wyomingtim

Wyomingtim Member

This one could be my only shot at being the first to charge at a new SC. I've got family in Helena, and it's only 5 hours away...

• Funny x 3
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. skrenes

skrenes Member

Finally! This was promised 6 years ago to be done 5 years ago!

10. JamesBond

JamesBond Member

Interesting that there does not seem to be provision for the red signage behind the stalls saying "Tesla parking only" or "General parking 30 minutes max" or something like that. But it's great to see this making progress.

11. DrWahl

DrWahl Member

This is awesome! We live in White Sulphur Springs and go to Helena all the time for groceries and such. We rarely need to charge while we're out in Helena, but in those rare occasions when we have to make a handful of stops (i.e. drop kids off at school, get groceries in Helena, then pick the kids back up at school, and probably in -15F weather), it will be nice to have a place to top off in Helena!

• Like x 3
  12. KJD

KJD Supporting Member

Welcome to the TMC forum. Do you know if anything has changed this week or does it look the same as the pictures from last Sunday?

13. DrWahl

DrWahl Member

I haven't been to Helena since Monday. We have to get some groceries soon (tomorrow? Saturday?) so I'll update everyone after we get back from that trip into town.

• Like x 3
  14. Wyomingtim

Wyomingtim Member

Please do! I'll be driving to Helena on December 15 from Jackson, WY. Would be super handy if they had it finished by then...

15. Zebibyte

Zebibyte Member

Hi, I’m Vxtus from PlugShare. We just completed a circle of MT last week, so I kept a look out for potential Super Charger construction. I heard from a local in the know at Missoula that Super 1 food stores have a deal with Tesla for a few locations, so checked out a couple. No signs yet in the Great Falls store, but the pics above are from a stop in Helena. I didn’t get a chance to get to Kalispell but heard that was another possible store site.

Very cold this week and it’s causing a problem with 120v and low amperage 240v charging with my UMC, so its been tricky. I was saved by destination charging in GF and Helena, and a couple RV hookups vis 14-50.

Attached Files:

• Like x 5
    • Love x 2
  16. DrWahl

DrWahl Member

Looks like there hasn't really been any progress yet. I'll drive by whenever we're in town. If/when there is any progress, I'll try to provide the details here.
    IMG_20191102_140350.jpg IMG_20191102_140323.jpg

• Informative x 3
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  17. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

It's a bit strange, but I don't think there's an electrical permit for this one yet. Though maybe it's just that the MT permitting portal isn't great for searching and I've been failing to find it.

18. emupilot

emupilot Active Member

The MT permitting portal definitely isn't great for searching, but I didn't find it looking for the address or even just for projects with a cost high enough to be superchargers. This site is apparently just outside of Helena city limits, so it might require a (thus far equally unfruitful) search within Lewis & Clark county.

19. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

I found some prior year permits for work at the Super 1 Foods property under the address 1822 Custer Ave. instead of the Queen Anns St one. But still nothing for a supercharger.

20. SammichLover

SammichLover Banned

True but in the Lands of Ice & Snow this is the worst of it done.

Really sweet that this part is finished. I haven't gone direct to AB yet but this'll save a good deal of hours that it'd take to route through Missoula and probably an overnight for an L2 bump in Whitefish (or maybe somewhere in the park during summer) to make it the Lethbridge.