Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Henrietta, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not to belabor the Trinidad --> Amarillo --> Trinidad discussion but I've also made this trip in both directions a few times in both my Model S P85D and Model S 90D. I agree with the points @PLUS EV & @reddy made and will also add that it's trickier than it might obviously appear on the northbound trip (Amarillo to Trinidad) due to the fact you have to cross Raton Pass very close to the end of the journey.

Amarillo, TX elevation = 3,605'
Trinidad, CO elevation = 6,010'

So while it appears you only have to overcome a 2,400' elevation gain, in fact you need enough energy to go from elevation 3,605' (Amarillo) to elevation 7,835' (Raton Pass). Once you cross Raton Pass, it's all downhill into Trinidad and you actually gain energy for the last 12 miles of the trip but you need enough energy near the very end of the trip to make it over and across Raton Pass.

Bottom line, if you're going to make this trip in an 85 or 90 you need to start out slow from Amarillo, watch the prevailing winds and adjust for them and probably consider another route (or plan on charging in Dalhart along the way) if it is very cold in the dead of winter.

Mike
What time of year was that?

I'd be doing it going North with a Model 3 LR-D, coming up via College Station, Waco, then Grapevine. Obviously I'd need a long charge in Grapevine but I should be able to make this, I think? Alternative is I go up I45, then I35 through to Kansas and take a hard left at I believe Salina. That's all Interstate (boring!) and another 90 miles or so longer. Not as much nominal road time diff, though, because of Interstate speed limits, and I'm guessing all that time would be erased by need for longer charges for the two largish leaps from Grapevine and Amarillo.

Last edited:
What time of year was that?

I'd be doing it going North with a Model 3 LR-D, coming up via College Station, Waco, then Grapevine. Obviously I'd need a long charge in Grapevine but I should be able to make this, I think? Alternative is I go up I45, then I35 through to Kansas and take a hard left at I believe Salina. That's all Interstate (boring!) and another 90 miles or so longer. Not as much nominal road time diff, though, because of Interstate speed limits, and I'm guessing all that time would be erased by need for longer charges for the two largish leaps from Grapevine and Amarillo.

The range in your Model 3 is much longer than my Model S 85. You should have no problems with a 90% or 95% charge from South Lake Supercharger, or Denton Supercharger.

My son drove his Model 3 AWD 2 weeks ago via the Denton SC and had no problems at all making Childress. Childress to Amarillo is easy. Amarillo to Trinidad should also be OK but would charge to 100% at Amarillo. On my first trip 3 years ago (which I posted the stats for) it was typical September weather , and I would have had only 7 miles range if I hadn't topped up in Dalhart. Since you have 50 more miles range than my Model S, you should have 50 left without stopping on the Amarillo to Trinidad segment as long as you keep your speed under control. If you want to drive at 85 the whole way, you might have problems there.

• Informative
Reactions: ℬête Noire
Possible? I’d say very unlikely. I have a first hand report from a P85+ owner who tried and failed. He had to stop at an RV Park in Vernon to make it. There’s a 1200 foot elevation change and strong cross winds that eat into your range.

Eastward travel is easier. I’ve done that using 227 range miles in an 85D. I’ve never tried the westward traverse myself.

Think that was me :)

Reactions: redi and TMC Bubba
Did anyone who recently drove through Wichita Falls see any physical updates with the construction of the planned Supercharger there?

Model X 75D here; when driving from Dallas to Amarillo, was recommended to drive Ardmore, OK to Childress, TX..... decided against that when I was recommended to travel 55mph the whole trip. Can't wait for the WF supercharger to come in, because the OKC route took an entire day!!!

Did anyone who recently drove through Wichita Falls see any physical updates with the construction of the planned Supercharger there?

Model X 75D here; when driving from Dallas to Amarillo, was recommended to drive Ardmore, OK to Childress, TX..... decided against that when I was recommended to travel 55mph the whole trip. Can't wait for the WF supercharger to come in, because the OKC route took an entire day!!!

Sorry that the X 75D doesn't make the US87 route yet. Agree Wichita Falls is essential for you.

Shamrock TX was the first supercharger that allowed us to 'get off the island' in our Teslas. We had Shamrock, Ardmore, and Weatherford OK all come online at about the same time. This enabled Amarillo to Dallas , but certainly not in the most direct route. At the time we were grateful even for that. You'd think that Wichita Falls would have been completed at the same time as Childress, it's a head scratcher as far as why it isn't online already.

I'm looking to make the Dallas->Taos or Dallas->CO drive this winter for some mountaineering, but the lack of a supercharger in Wichita Falls means I have to go Dallas->Ardmore->Childress. Google shows Denton->Childress as 209 miles (which should leave plenty of room to spare if I topped off in Denton).

Any thoughts on why I would get routed through Ardmore?

Has anyone else made the Denton/Dallas -> Childress ->...-> NM route before; Any good reason not to?

I'm looking to make the Dallas->Taos or Dallas->CO drive this winter for some mountaineering, but the lack of a supercharger in Wichita Falls means I have to go Dallas->Ardmore->Childress. Google shows Denton->Childress as 209 miles (which should leave plenty of room to spare if I topped off in Denton).

Any thoughts on why I would get routed through Ardmore?

Has anyone else made the Denton/Dallas -> Childress ->...-> NM route before; Any good reason not to?
First, you should read through this and other related threads as there has been much discussion of this topic in the past.

Second, you should post the specific type of Tesla you are driving so people can advise. Otherwise there's nowhere near enough information.

First, you should read through this and other related threads as there has been much discussion of this topic in the past.

Second, you should post the specific type of Tesla you are driving so people can advise. Otherwise there's nowhere near enough information.

Just for some context, it's his very first post here.

Welcome to the group, Wildman.

And yes, size matters. On the battery, of course.

• Funny
Reactions: ShaneT
Just for some context, it's his very first post here.

Welcome to the group, Wildman.

And yes, size matters. On the battery, of course.

Thanks! And, good point: I'm talking about a M3 Performance and I've not yet purchased it. I am still considering the pros and cons such as those discussed here. Reddy, I read your post about Amarillo to Trinidad and found it helpful and interesting. I wonder if the M3P's additional rated range would overcome some of these concerns?

So, to recap: Why would I want to take my M3P through Ardmore rather than going straight from Denton to Childress?

Second question:
I am seeing is a lot of suggestions about speed reduction. My normal speed for these trips is ~85mph but I am seeing people suggesting speeds a low as 65mph. Does M3P range dramatically fall off at higher speeds? I compared Google Map's route (10 hrs) for Dallas to Big Bend National Park vs. Tesla's route (15 hrs). Tesla says the charge times only add ~3.5 hours. How does 10 (driving) + 3.5 (charging) = 15 hours? Where do we lose those 1.5 hours?

I've seen people talk about "range anxiety" as though its a foolish worry of the "uninformed 'ICE'-addicted caste", yet such concerns are extremely real when were talking about road-trip travel time increases of 50%+. The enthusiast in my says, "GO FOR IT!"; the pragmatist in me says "stick with your current car which can do this no problem".

I will keep reading around... Any constructive or thoughtful feedback is welcome!
Thanks!

Thanks! And, good point: I'm talking about a M3 Performance and I've not yet purchased it. I am still considering the pros and cons such as those discussed here. Reddy, I read your post about Amarillo to Trinidad and found it helpful and interesting. I wonder if the M3P's additional rated range would overcome some of these concerns?

So, to recap: Why would I want to take my M3P through Ardmore rather than going straight from Denton to Childress?

Second question:
I am seeing is a lot of suggestions about speed reduction. My normal speed for these trips is ~85mph but I am seeing people suggesting speeds a low as 65mph. Does M3P range dramatically fall off at higher speeds? I compared Google Map's route (10 hrs) for Dallas to Big Bend National Park vs. Tesla's route (15 hrs). Tesla says the charge times only add ~3.5 hours. How does 10 (driving) + 3.5 (charging) = 15 hours? Where do we lose those 1.5 hours?

I've seen people talk about "range anxiety" as though its a foolish worry of the "uninformed 'ICE'-addicted caste", yet such concerns are extremely real when were talking about road-trip travel time increases of 50%+. The enthusiast in my says, "GO FOR IT!"; the pragmatist in me says "stick with your current car which can do this no problem".

I will keep reading around... Any constructive or thoughtful feedback is welcome!
Thanks!
If you look, you will find a lot of discussion on speed vs. range. There is a dramatic difference in drag between 65 and 85, even with a rather slippery Tesla, so slowing down can make a big difference in range. The same applies for all cars, but there is always another gas station nearby, so you don’t tend to notice as much in an ICE. In my wife’s car, doing 75-80 on I-10 instead of 65 dropped the gas mileage from 35-36 mpg to about 30, a reduction of about 15%, or the equivalent more than 40 miles of range in a Model 3.

In many parts of the country it might not make as much difference because the superchargers are a little closer together, but in parts of west Texas and the mid west where things are further apart (200-230 miles), you are getting close to the comfortable range limit, especially if you want to drive really fast. It is more than manageable, but you have to be aware or you can get in trouble.

One thing about range anxiety is that you can find a plug nearly anywhere there is civilization, it just might take a while to to add many miles, so it is not can it be done, but how long will it take. I have only not taken my Model S one time because of a lack of charging options and that would not have been an issue if the supercharger in Fort Stockton had been built. You can still be a pragmatist and ‘go for it’ at the same time, go GO FOT IT!

Second question:

Thanks!
A tool you can use: abetterrouteplanner.com. Select your make, model, route, charging limits, etc.

Second question:

Thanks!
Does Tesla put you on the exact same route or does it detour to hit superchargers? If the latter, then that is probably where the 1.5 hours comes from.

Does Tesla put you on the exact same route or does it detour to hit superchargers? If the latter, then that is probably where the 1.5 hours comes from.
@wildman Since you don't have a vehicle are you doing this on the Go Anywhere trip planner on Tesla's website? It provides a drastically different path from the in-car Navigation tool. The vehicle's software is much more aggressive about making gap leaps, cutting corners on routes, and such to knock of huge amounts of miles and time.

@PLUS EV , is it also that way with the Model S? Or has Tesla's website team just not put in the polish yet to bring the website's Model 3 algorithms into sync with the actual vehicle?

• Informative
Reactions: jrad6515

Second question:

Thanks!

Wildman, as above, my son drove his M3LR from Denton charging to 95% to Childress no problem at 75 - 80 , but if you need the heater during the winter that may reduce your range.

You should do Amarillo to Trinidad but I would charge to 100% at Amarillo and you may need to reduce speed to 72 - 75 for a while.

The wind drag is proportional to the MPH cubed. So it goes way up with extra speed.

My curiosity piqued, I decided to punch Calgary, AB into the car's Nav and see what happened. It routes me from Houston area up I45->I35->Denton. Then West, turning North, and straight up the East side of Rockies. It's not even listing 1hr charging times for any of those stops in TX or Trinidad. The only tough spot is up North jumping Butte to Fort McLeod, that's a full 80 min top-off. It doesn't even think I need to go through Missoula, which is pretty aggressive way to save maybe 35 miles of road.

Here's the part we're talking about following Denton.
IMG_4401.jpg
I'm not sure where SOC is expected to start at Denton, I'm under %70 right now so it's got me stopping at Corsicana.