Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hillsboro, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two years ago this would have been an urban SC installation most likely. I wonder if Tesla is just doing V3+destination chargers instead these days?

They're still be adding some urban chargers in CA and Seattle. I think they still make a lot of sense if there are more than 14+ stalls and there's stuff to do nearby. If there's only going to be 6-10 stalls or if the location is serving long distance drivers then agreed V3 makes the most sense.

Destination chargers are wonderful, but unless they add more than 10-15, or local parking enforcement watches parking times, they're always going to be used by freeloaders who try to full charge on the free power. We see this pretty regularly with Clackamas volta chargers and the Milwaukie OR destination and city chargers. "Normal" drivers won't be able to use them much. That said, I'd still be very happy to see them! Any progress is good progress in this case.

The location is interesting. I don't think the I-5 travelers will use it unless absolutely necessary. Perhaps it's mainly for local apartment dwellers? If one needs to rely on Tesla chargers in the area, the Washington Square one is not good.

Vancouver is closer, no?

It depends but in many cases no. If you're travelling on to Seattle, or if you live near the bridges, then the Vancouver chargers are best. However if you don't live close or aren't heading on to Seattle, then it's not great at all. A trip to Vancouver adds 15-30+ minutes of time if you live on the east side, and probably 40-50mins from the west side. Tack on an extra 20-30 mins (at least) during rush hour due to the bottlenecks at the bridges.

This location is very much needed for folks on the west side, and anyone who's headed out to the coast but can't charge at home or doesn't have a full battery.

Perhaps it's mainly for local apartment dwellers?

Ya, there are a surprising amount of those - I'm one of them, but I can charge at work. Local fast charging (even including Tesla) is not good.

Also, to my earlier comment, there are a lot of people who want to charge on the way to (or returning from) the coast. I see this as useful even if you charge at home.

Reactions: pilotSteve
This is a great location. It covers a real need for folks going to or from the coast and also there are a ton of apartments in the area, so it is the key to making EV ownership possible for a lot of folks.

Once all the “free supercharging” cars age out you won’t have the “locals clogging it” issue. The folks that use it will do so because they need to (otherwise they will charge for less $$$ at home).

I had been thinking one exit further out makes more sense (Cornelius Pass at the Freddy’s) since it is closer to the coast and the direction that things are expanding, but this is a great location too (and nothing stops them from adding another further out later).

It is great this is in the back of the lot. Low chance of “ICE’ing”. Not a ton of food right here, but plenty if you are willing to walk a couple of blocks.

Interesting that it includes four “ChargePoint” L2 chargers. I wonder what the logic is? (I guess Tesla’s lack of ability to bill for Wall Connector usage and perhaps some pressure to make it compatible with other brand EV’s?) Is this a trend (Vancouver WA is getting Wall Connectors isn’t it?)

Did Target or the city of Hillsboro push for this maybe?

Still no activity yet. Here is a current picture:
9E2FB92F-2BEE-4D95-9950-3B628D9494F2.jpeg

Interesting that it includes four “ChargePoint” L2 chargers. I wonder what the logic is? (I guess Tesla’s lack of ability to bill for Wall Connector usage and perhaps some pressure to make it compatible with other brand EV’s?) Is this a trend (Vancouver WA is getting Wall Connectors isn’t it?)

It's part of Tesla's deal with Target for supercharger hosting. They put in a few universal L2s at pretty much every supercharger hosted by a Target store.

https://www.hillsboro-oregon.gov/home/showdocument?id=25410

What: New 12-stall V3 supercharger (+ 4 L2 stalls) planned for the parking lot of the Target at Tanasbourne Town Center in Hillsboro, OR.
Address: 18101 NW Evergreen Pkwy, Hillsboro, OR 97006

GPS: 45.538579, -122.866166

Something strange with the street number in the address. The linked document gives it as 11095 but that maps to the wrong block and doesn't fit with the addresses of the surrounding stores. So, I've given the address that works best for the actual location even though it doesn't match with what's in the source document.

@Chuq @MarcoRP
This is great news. The Tigard superchargers were often fully occupied and the L2 have been reserved for the Tesla store models.

Reactions: agegamon
This is a great location. It covers a real need for folks going to or from the coast and also there are a ton of apartments in the area, so it is the key to making EV ownership possible for a lot of folks.

Once all the “free supercharging” cars age out you won’t have the “locals clogging it” issue. The folks that use it will do so because they need to (otherwise they will charge for less $$$ at home).

I had been thinking one exit further out makes more sense (Cornelius Pass at the Freddy’s) since it is closer to the coast and the direction that things are expanding, but this is a great location too (and nothing stops them from adding another further out later).

It is great this is in the back of the lot. Low chance of “ICE’ing”. Not a ton of food right here, but plenty if you are willing to walk a couple of blocks.

Still no activity yet. Here is a current picture:
View attachment 518920
The LV2s are convenient for those folks that want more time to shop and charge.

The LV2s are convenient for those folks that want more time to shop and charge.

I could see those getting really popular especially at locations like this where there is a ton of places to eat, and shop.

Depending on how it's configured we might even see an occasional non-Tesla charging there where they use an adapter. That's not possible on the V2/V3 chargers, but is on the Tesla L2 charger.

There are two pairs of Volta chargers across the street that get heavy use. The L2s here at Target: are we assuming they are Tesla destination chargers only? Tesla has a new L2 setup with J1772, right?
At Target superchargers, they are usually Chargepoint J1772s and that's what they are going to be here. There will be 2 dual-port chargers (i.e. can charge 4 cars total). This information is viewable in the site plans that were linked to in the opening post of this thread.

At Target superchargers, they are usually Chargepoint J1772s and that's what they are going to be here. There will be 2 dual-port chargers (i.e. can charge 4 cars total). This information is viewable in the site plans that were linked to in the opening post of this thread.
Darn I was hoping they were going to be destination chargers but hey we've got to be neighborly too with our EV families:)

Reactions: agegamon
I am assuming that the Vancouver, WA (Vancouver Mall) SC is the "NE Portland" pin on Tesla's SC map.

I doubt it because it's not really much closer to Portland than the existing Vancouver Supercharger.

I think it's simply an increase in capacity.

Plus they don't seem to keen on actually following the map. They've promised one in Seattle for years, and then we got like a half a one. Where it was stuck in a garage with limited hours, and paid parking.

It's mostly for people going to/from the coast imo. But of course locals will clog them as well which is a constant problem at superchargers in/near large cities.
I agree. An additional angle- some of us headed north from points south and west of Portland use the Cornelius Pass/US 30/Longview bridge route to I-5 to bypass Portland and the bridges altogether. This, combined with the Kelso SC, will also provide support for that option.

Reactions: Rocky_H