Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hillsboro, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is live, even though the rightmost (backing in) four stalls are off tonight.
Three cars were already charging there when I arrived.

Note that there have been reports that the working chargers are only doing 34kW. Unclear if this is due to local folks with cold/full batteries testing it or if it is due to some issue (maybe they are not fully commissioned yet either). Some folks also reported they were not charged for the energy.

Note that there have been reports that the working chargers are only doing 34kW. Unclear if this is due to local folks with cold/full batteries testing it or if it is due to some issue (maybe they are not fully commissioned yet either). Some folks also reported they were not charged for the energy.
None of this is unusual for a new supercharger, including the locals who never supercharger reporting that it "doesn't work" because they drive their 80% SOC Tesla 5 miles to test the charge rate.

The south 5 chargers are not working, everyone else was getting no more than 70kw. Several folks had less the 30% when they started. I am sure they are throttling them during the go-live. Some bugs need squashing for the ones that are down. Seems to be a lot of folks like me, curious locals who are plugging in for 10 minutes. All excited to have a supercharger so close. Hopefully we control ourselves so we don’t crowd out people trying to make it to the coast.

This location is gonna become a hot mess I tell ya. Drove by 15mins ago, but kept on going... :)
More SuC locations always a good thing, but as I stated earlier, I wish it would’ve been further west, say, the North Plains exit. Freddy’s @ CPR would’ve been equally “bad”. First litmus test coming up during Black Friday. Granted, covid will mean much less craziness compared to normal, but will be interesting to see if stalls are constantly filled as word spreads.

Reactions: DesertSilver
Yeah that area can get very congested but I feel that’s the most ideal spot for that particular area since it’s a large lot and far enough away from the regular parking for Target shoppers to hopefully not be ICE’d much. I imagine it’s a tough balance of having good choices on food and shopping, which that area has a huge selection of, vs getting away from congestion.

But when I think about it, I can’t see that spot getting a whole lot of use since it’s too far off of I5 for those doing longer distance travel. My thought is that it’ll mainly be used for quick charges by locals that live 100+ miles from the beach.

What are all your thoughts on the usage of these chargers?

Yeah that area can get very congested but I feel that’s the most ideal spot for that particular area since it’s a large lot and far enough away from the regular parking for Target shoppers to hopefully not be ICE’d much. I imagine it’s a tough balance of having good choices on food and shopping, which that area has a huge selection of, vs getting away from congestion.

But when I think about it, I can’t see that spot getting a whole lot of use since it’s too far off of I5 for those doing longer distance travel. My thought is that it’ll mainly be used for quick charges by locals that live 100+ miles from the beach.

I don’t see why anyone who can charge at home would use these unless they have free supercharging, why pay 2.5x more? I have free supercharging but I will probably not use these since I can charge at work and 6.6kw is a lot less stress on the battery. On drives to CA supercharging is essential but I don’t see the need for local driving.

I don’t see why anyone who can charge at home would use these unless they have free supercharging, why pay 2.5x more? I have free supercharging but I will probably not use these since I can charge at work and 6.6kw is a lot less stress on the battery. On drives to CA supercharging is essential but I don’t see the need for local driving.

Yeah, these are useful for hitting the beach for a lot of folks (that may be traveling from farther away than Portland).

But frankly, they will be used mostly by locals. It is super critical to have supercharging capabilities locally for folks in living situations that don’t allow for charging (apartments).

It is all a critical part of the ecosystem... More superchargers is always better!!!

I live very close to these, but I will likely never use them (except maybe to burn off some free supercharger miles).

I personally was hoping they would go one more exit to the West in the back of the Fred Meyer parking lot by Panda Express. The closer to the beach the better (but still with amenities).

The ability to come back from the beach “running on fumes” will be nice for many folks.

Two reasons:

1) because they don't have charging at home
2) because they don't have charging at work

Just curious how many folks buy an EV without a way to charge it? I can’t imagine having to go and plug into a 6.6kw station for hours at some random location on a regular basis

Depends how much you drive. There might be a lot of drivers out there that this is a second car to work and back and maybe only see's 10 to 15 miles a day M-F. If you're supercharging every 10 to 12 days for 45 minutes that might not be that bad of a thing. Conversely, if you had level 2 charging at the grocery store you shop at and maybe at the mall you go to see a movie at or near restaurants you eat out at on the weekend, you might be able to gain back ~25kWh just from a few hours of normal shopping and movie or dinner or something. 50 miles a week at 350 wh/mi would only be about 17.5kWh/week and a few hours at level 2s would be able to build that back.

Just curious how many folks buy an EV without a way to charge it? I can’t imagine having to go and plug into a 6.6kw station for hours at some random location on a regular basis

No data to back this up but my personal hunch is that Tesla’s are desirable enough and generally affordable where those without the luxury of home charging will still find ways to make it work. At least, I would. :)

I finally got a chance to test these superchargers last night. While my M3 was too full (78%) and the battery was too cold to get any decent charge rate, a M3 rolled in (after a massive detour on Hwy 26 in the coast range) with only 2 miles to empty!

They hit 186kW at 772 miles an hour!

So yeah, this fully debunks the concept that these superchargers are somehow limited in any way speed wise.

So also note that four of the twelve are still offline, but I am sure they will get them sorted!

65FBB372-96E7-414B-A95F-B3CD5F86496E.jpeg