Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hilton Head Island, SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this location still up and running? My dad stopped by last week and said that it seemed like it was under construction and the worker there said that he couldn't charge. Not sure if he somehow went to the wrong place...
It was working a few months ago. Maybe there's a CCS charger being installed and that's the one your dad went to? Once upon a time I had a friend text me and say very excitedly that there was a tesla supercharger in Mt Pleasant. Turns out it was the HPWC's at that shopping center. lol.

Today I drove to Charge my Tesla, and noticed on the touchscreen that red icon is now greyed out with an out-of-service Icon. I drove to the supercharger anyways to try my luck and was greeted by the local electrical company blocking out all of the stalls and taking care of an incident. I chatted a bit with the on site employees to try and see what happened and apparently a semi truck tried to drive behind the grocery store which is a really tight turn and they're not supposed to, and hit/damaged some of the electrical equipment that provides power to these stalls. Don't have any more information but I did take some pictures while my visit.

qpMnPSe.jpg

3Z049MG.jpg
koXORG6.jpg

I stopped by on Tuesday the 4th, local electrical company blocking out all of the stalls and taking care of an incident that just ocurred. I chatted a bit with the on site employees to try and see what happened and apparently a semi truck tried to drive behind the grocery store which is a really tight turn and they're not supposed to, and hit/damaged some of the electrical equipment that provides power to these stalls. This sparked an electrical fire they said.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    254.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    305 KB · Views: 70
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 77
I stopped by on Tuesday the 4th, local electrical company blocking out all of the stalls and taking care of an incident that just ocurred. I chatted a bit with the on site employees to try and see what happened and apparently a semi truck tried to drive behind the grocery store which is a really tight turn and they're not supposed to, and hit/damaged some of the electrical equipment that provides power to these stalls. This sparked an electrical fire they said.

Goodness. Semi dude is lucky he didn’t get electrocuted. :eek:

Thanks for posting this update. @corywright @Chuq Hilton Head should probably get marked as temporarily closed until this gets resolved.

Goodness. Semi dude is lucky he didn’t get electrocuted. :eek:

Thanks for posting this update. @corywright @Chuq Hilton Head should probably get marked as temporarily closed until this gets resolved.
Absolutely!

I believe Hilton Head should get another supercharger, the traffic here is insane, the closest place to supercharge is 45 minutes away. A good location on the other end of the island Sea would be Turtle Marketplace, they have plenty of parking and would be a great fit. Wouldn't hurt to have another supercharger outside of Hilton Head in Bluffton too.

L
Absolutely!

I believe Hilton Head should get another supercharger, the traffic here is insane, the closest place to supercharge is 45 minutes away. A good location on the other end of the island Sea would be Turtle Marketplace, they have plenty of parking and would be a great fit. Wouldn't hurt to have another supercharger outside of Hilton Head in Bluffton too.
Let’s not get carried away. I’ve been to HHI several times before there was a single Supercharger and am excited to go back this summer now that there is one. But another Supercharger on little HHI? Maybe one day, but for now Tesla has much bigger fish to fry. Like perhaps ALL of I-26 between Charleston and Asheville.

Charleston is highly under served, there's no doubt.
There is only one supercharger and it's all the way over at North Charleston closer to the airport. If same type of down-time happens like it did here in Hilton Head then Charleston will have nothing.
I-26 through Columbia is another beauty that's under served, say you're driving to Greenville from Charleston you have to deviate plenty to the North East Columbia charger.

Reactions: theothertom
L

Let’s not get carried away. I’ve been to HHI several times before there was a single Supercharger and am excited to go back this summer now that there is one. But another Supercharger on little HHI? Maybe one day, but for now Tesla has much bigger fish to fry. Like perhaps ALL of I-26 between Charleston and Asheville.

Agreed. Let's remember that as severe an issue as this is, it's an extremely low probability event. Imagine if the strategy was to double up Superchargers EVERYWHERE just in case one got taken out by a truck (i.e. there is nothing particularly special about the HHI Supercharger as compared to most others, at least outside of EV dense urban areas).

Plus, HHI is a bit of a dead end. Nobody passes through HHI on their way anywhere. It's a destination, not an exit on a highway. Wouldn't plastering the area with destination chargers and J1772 L2s be more effective than dropping in a second (or honestly, even a first) Supercharger?

There was actually someone asking about that recently for one of their rental properties on the island.
I’ve been considering adding a 240V outlet to my rental property on HHI (Sea Pines) but with COVID there has been crazy demand and it has not been a priority. The Sea Pines Supercharger also certainly helps Tesla Owners. I will probably add one in the fall to enable all EV’s and report back on this forum.

It's for tourists with Teslas. I doubt many of the timeshares in the Sea Pines have a 240V outlet outside or in the garage.
Hence why I said to plaster the area with destination chargers. I just think that is a far more appropriate solution for a destination area like HHI than a Supercharger. Even destination chargers in store and restaurant parking lots are probably going to add 30-60 miles of range per visit, and during a typical week stay, how many times are tourists parked at a shopping center area for an hour or two?

Reactions: pinke2323