Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hines, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even without the diversion, it's actually slightly faster to go through Bend, OR when traveling Alturas, CA to Kennewick, WA than it is to stay on US395. Maybe it's a wash in a Tesla due to being less miles, I suppose. That stretch from Burns up to Pendleton looks like a bear. I've actually never done it!
The ride from Burns to at least John Day is really beautiful! I also think the next stretch is as well but cannot verify from personal experience!
If you are looking at routes going North and are considering going up to John Day and then East to the Baker City Supercharger, which is a shorter segment, I will give a caution about that one. That last part of the route on highway 7 through the mountains has a lot of tight switchbacks without warning signs, so it's kind of dangerous to do at night, with short visibility. I would only recommend that one in the day.

John Day to Interstate 84 is a real nice drive. I drove it in an ICE in 1981, and again in our Model S in 2016. It is an undulating drive up and down four or five summits before plateauing out, then descending towards Pendleton. You can't drive fast along much of the highway.

Reactions: otter
Close-up in Burns-Hines, Oregon. .

Attachments

• 1A7F11C1-E55B-4B66-AD3D-7D082BBE269F.jpeg
    1A7F11C1-E55B-4B66-AD3D-7D082BBE269F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 104
  • 3DC74211-D0AE-4C7F-815E-954F24E758FD.jpeg
    3DC74211-D0AE-4C7F-815E-954F24E758FD.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 86
Yes, the concrete pedestals are the pre-fabbed ones. You can see they have the lifting hook integrated, and the shape matches previous pictures of the pre-fabbed pedestals.

I think he was referring to the pre-constructed ones that come with the charge cabinet, stalls, and wiring all in place on a big concrete slab that they just have a crane lift and set in location.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I would love to know what else was listed on that packing list. I can only assume that the parts description for the first item decodes as follows:

"ASY, SC POST, NO HEATER, LIQUID, NA": Assembly, SuperCharger Post (Pedestal), No heater, Liquid-cooled, North America.

"Assembly" just means multiple parts already put together. "Liquid-cooled" is another sign of a v3 charger, as if new installations get anything else now. I didn't know the posts could have a heater in them, but would have thought it cold enough here in winter to need one. Maybe there is anti-freeze in the liquid and that is enough for this location, compared to say some Canadian (or now Alsakan) locations.

The next item, partially obscured, appears to be just two "SC-to-post" cables. I would have thought they'd need 8 cables for 8 posts. Could the cable have multiple taps/connections to connect to four posts? Would this cable go to the first post of a set of four and then daisy chain to the other three using different cables?

And speaking (as others were) of the new pre-fabricated charger/pedestal combo, I see there are pictures of the first installation on PlugShare now: PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You These don't have a parking bumper, but a sturdy post/sign combo to protect the pedestal. So the discussion on the Spokane SC thread about replacing existing bumpers with posts can now see what it was supposed to look like.

I didn't know the posts could have a heater in them, but would have thought it cold enough here in winter to need one. Maybe there is anti-freeze in the liquid and that is enough for this location, compared to say some Canadian (or now Alsakan) locations.
The record low in Burns is -30F. It isn't quite West Yellowstone or Saskatchewan cold, but it certainly isn't Seattle.

I really like those pre-formed cement bases. They are a small enough piece they can consistently make them elsewhere and bring them in and set them quicker than having to make forms and pour cement in all these different locations and weather/temperature.
Hard to beat the four stall plus V3 box pre-fab units that they used in Beaver UT:

A week after that picture was taken all 24 new stalls were in operation.

I'm headed to Oregon tomorrow and am disappointed that this Supercharger location won't be ready for my trip. Next time I will finally get to take the short route!

Has anyone heard when they expect to be operational? I have a trip to do and it would save me a lot of time if I could go thru Burns!
It could be a week or it could be a month...or more. These things are never very predictable, because it then also depends on the utility company to deliver and hook up the transformer, and then other inspections, so there can frequently be all kinds of unknown lengths of delays.