Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Honolulu, HI - Kahala Resort (12 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tdreamer

Plaid Supercharger
Supporting Member
Sep 10, 2017
Bedford, Massachusetts
A new 12 stall Tesla Supercharger has been permitted and appears to have recently begun construction at the Kahala Hotel & Resort, 5000 Kahala Avenue, Honolulu HI. The cost on the permit aligns well with the permit for the other 12 stall supercharger in Hawaii as well. While I found this permit in the past week, and confirmed with the resort construction preparation is underway, credit for finding this goes to @TerranApart I believe earlier this year as noted in Hawaii Superchargers.

1657418776457.png

@tes-s @corywright

I'm frequently in the area. I'll see what I can see. :cool:

But realistically, I can't see a hotel like the Kahala allowing anyone other than hotel guests or restaurant patrons free use of the chargers. As is, the hotel already has free J1772 chargers in the "basement" parking garage that I've used whenver I'm at the hotel. Perhaps they are copying the Lanai model and going to implement a fleet of Tesla vehicles and need a place to charge them up.

I'm frequently in the area. I'll see what I can see. :cool:

But realistically, I can't see a hotel like the Kahala allowing anyone other than hotel guests or restaurant patrons free use of the chargers. As is, the hotel already has free J1772 chargers in the "basement" parking garage that I've used whenver I'm at the hotel. Perhaps they are copying the Lanai model and going to implement a fleet of Tesla vehicles and need a place to charge them up.
Tesla staff has mentioned this location as 2nd supercharger site but will be interesting to see what kind of public access there is.

I passed by yesterday. It's still very early stages - the contractor on site is still doing preliminary trenching and grading work. Based solely on the trenches and what I could see in the garage, it's possible that a few of the stations could be outside the garage. Another possibility is the stations will be located on mauka side of the driveway, where the hotel's commercial loading dock is located. Either way, there's very little outdoor space available to site 12 stations.

I was about to take pictures, but there's not much to see other than holes in the ground and steel plates covering them.

This will be interesting....

I passed by yesterday. It's still very early stages - the contractor on site is still doing preliminary trenching and grading work. Based solely on the trenches and what I could see in the garage, it's possible that a few of the stations could be outside the garage. Another possibility is the stations will be located on mauka side of the driveway, where the hotel's commercial loading dock is located. Either way, there's very little outdoor space available to site 12 stations.

I was about to take pictures, but there's not much to see other than holes in the ground and steel plates covering them.

This will be interesting....
Thanks for visiting!

In this case, I’d love to see pictures of holes in the ground. :)

Can you confirm the exact location on the property?

Seems to be coming along quickly, compared to regular Hawaii speed (super slow and screwed up). They have placed the Superchargers in the parking spots, and they are locating the enclosures. They dug holes and put in conduits underground, and just covered those up with concrete. There are steel plates covering the trenches in the streetways. Oahu Electrical is doing the install.

The chargers are definitely 250kW looking at the cable size. They are located on the top of the valet only parking garage in the sun. Parking at Kahala Hotel is Valet ONLY. Its free for 4 hours if you get your ticket validated. I wonder how this will work, especially if it gets busy with Tesla charging only? Ask them to Valet and charge the car, and hopefully they will plug it in. Wait til its full then ask for the car back, hoping it won't incur idle fees? Those are a big ask for Valet when its busy. Will there be a "gift shop" or general store for Tesla customers to buy stuff, and get their ticket validated?

This location is not convenient to most of the owners who really need it. It's not conveniently located off a major highway/road. It's at the very end of the road in Kahala. Its essentially behind a private paywall. You have to ask Valet to take it to charge, and its at the very farthest place in that parking garage. Plus potentially a stiff parking fee and idle fees.

I have pictures and will post when i figure out how.

Thanks. And thanks for the pics. So, looks like there's an overhead structure for at least some. I wonder if solar with Starlink will be installed there also. Would be nice to wind up with a Megapack too, so when the grid is down, we can camp out there. Oahu Electrical Services installed the superchargers at Pearlridge too.

Seems to be coming along quickly, compared to regular Hawaii speed (super slow and screwed up). They have placed the Superchargers in the parking spots, and they are locating the enclosures. They dug holes and put in conduits underground, and just covered those up with concrete. There are steel plates covering the trenches in the streetways. Oahu Electrical is doing the install.

The chargers are definitely 250kW looking at the cable size. They are located on the top of the valet only parking garage in the sun. Parking at Kahala Hotel is Valet ONLY. Its free for 4 hours if you get your ticket validated. I wonder how this will work, especially if it gets busy with Tesla charging only? Ask them to Valet and charge the car, and hopefully they will plug it in. Wait til its full then ask for the car back, hoping it won't incur idle fees? Those are a big ask for Valet when its busy. Will there be a "gift shop" or general store for Tesla customers to buy stuff, and get their ticket validated?

This location is not convenient to most of the owners who really need it. It's not conveniently located off a major highway/road. It's at the very end of the road in Kahala. Its essentially behind a private paywall. You have to ask Valet to take it to charge, and its at the very farthest place in that parking garage. Plus potentially a stiff parking fee and idle fees.

I have pictures and will post when i figure out how.
THANKS for the update and pics!

It will be interesting to see how much usage they get. Minimum spend for validation is $25. I can see people supercharging there that go to the restaurants or an event there but then you'd have to move the car halfway into your meal to avoid the idle fees.

Reactions: Akikiki
This is likely to support a Tesla "rental" fleet that the hotel is going to acquire for hotel guests to use, similar to Four Seasons. There's no other way that the investment by the hotel would make sense financially. The fact that you have to be a hotel guest and/or valet the car makes it impractical for just about everyone else. As noted, even if you went to dine at the hotel, you could easily run into idle fees. Unless these are setup like a HPWC and completely free of charging fees?

This is likely to support a Tesla "rental" fleet that the hotel is going to acquire for hotel guests to use, similar to Four Seasons. There's no other way that the investment by the hotel would make sense financially. The fact that you have to be a hotel guest and/or valet the car makes it impractical for just about everyone else. As noted, even if you went to dine at the hotel, you could easily run into idle fees. Unless these are setup like a HPWC and completely free of charging fees?
There are several Valet superchargers on the mainland, and the Valets traditionally unplug prior to idle fees commencing. All that you really have to do is instruct the Valet to unplug after a certain time. It is also possible that Tesla specifically voids idle fees at Valet-only superchargers.

Reactions: KJD and nanimac
There are several Valet superchargers on the mainland, and the Valets traditionally unplug prior to idle fees commencing. All that you really have to do is instruct the Valet to unplug after a certain time. It is also possible that Tesla specifically voids idle fees at Valet-only superchargers.
I've only used valet superchargers as part of "check-the-box supercharging" to add it to my locations visited. I've never looked at the rates, but I would think (hope) Tesla would not apply idle fees at valet locations given the owner cannot directly access the vehicle to ensure it's unplugged promptly.

Reactions: Polly Wog