Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Honolulu, HI - Kahala Resort (12 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only used valet superchargers as part of "check-the-box supercharging" to add it to my locations visited. I've never looked at the rates, but I would think (hope) Tesla would not apply idle fees at valet locations given the owner cannot directly access the vehicle to ensure it's unplugged promptly.
I have heard this has been an issue with owners: Owners accruing idle fees because the valet didn't unplug. One owner had to pay big $$ for overnight, but then Tesla credited it back.

Since this is Hawaii, and Kahala Hotel is already planning to lock Tesla owners out unless they Valet $$ (according to employees), I'm sure they will execute it in the worst, most inconvenient head scratching manner possible. Look at the history ...
1. putting in a "temporary" 250kW Supercharger which only charges 6 cars at 70kW each. Permit was for 12 x 250kW.
2. Putting the first superchargers on Lanai instead of Oahu
3. Finally paving a pot hole ridden road, then digging it up months later to work on utilities, and not paving it smooth again.

After California, Hawaii has the highest percentage of EVs per person of all US states, but the most populous island only has one 6-stall supercharging station. Hour-long waits are common, and I don't recall ever seeing it empty between 5am and 11pm.

With 296 supercharging stations and 39.5 million people, California has 0.13m people per station.
With over 1 million people per station, Oahu is 5.5 times worse than California (accounting for the 40% fewer purchases of Teslas).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-21 at 15.29.52.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-21 at 15.29.52.png
    345.6 KB · Views: 224
  • Screenshot 2022-08-21 at 15.29.57.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-21 at 15.29.57.png
    55.3 KB · Views: 138
  • Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
The majority of the Oahu electrical work is complete. The 2 holdups are the Heco 1.5Meg transformer, and upgrade/work of wherever the power is coming from (back down behind the hotel).

This is a REAL 250kW supercharger, not limited to 500Amps total like Pearl City one. But the main problem will be dealing with the Valet inconvenience. My guess is that this charger will be quite underutilized due to the Valet limitation. In addition to electricity costs, you basically have a $25 parking fee. And you have no control over when they plug/unplug so idle fees are also a concern. The fact that its out of the way, at the end of a dead end street, is not as much a factor due to the desperation of Tesla owners and their lack of options.

It's impossible to say when it's going to come online. At this point it's in HECO's court. It's also not easy to schedule because some of the work has to be done late at night because the hotels power will need to be cut for some time. Maybe it will be a Christmas present, like Pearl City was.

If you are wondering why Hawaii has a lack of superchargers, blame the State of Hawaii's permitting process - proof that Hawaii is a 3rd world country. There are many more superchargers on the way, but they are stuck in permitting. HECO would be the 2nd entity to blame after that.

If you are wondering why Hawaii has a lack of superchargers, blame the State of Hawaii's permitting process - proof that Hawaii is a 3rd world country. There are many more superchargers on the way, but they are stuck in permitting. HECO would be the 2nd entity to blame after that.
You might not have all the information concerning lack of Superchargers here. I will agree & without debating it -Permitting is a nightmare for anyone doing anything. However, for years, we have talked to the Supercharger Team. They tell us, and more than once, the issue for them is location, location, location. No one wants to give up space for Superchargers.

I believe its a miracle that we have Superchargers at Pearlridge - near the closed Sears. If you know that area, ask this question; if Sears was still open do we think those Superchargers would be "costing" them those parking spaces and potential complaints from non-Tesla owners, 'bout them Tesla owners?

And since this thread is about Kahala. I think you are on the money with your assessment of that situation. And its sad and (I question if) necessary to charge a parking fee for charging.

Last edited:
Reactions: nanimac
I still think the Kahala supercharger(s) are part of a planned hotel "fleet" of Teslas that will be available for hotel guest rental/use and not the general public. The hotel's investment in the infrastructure necessary for this doesn't make sense any other way. Don't count on having public access to these superchargers, even if you are willing to pay the parking fee. IIRC, you can't even get to the top floor of the garage via the public parking entrance. Most likely public access is if you valet your car while attending a function or dining at the hotel, and the valet (if they're nice) will plug it in for you if there's a space available. Supercharging energy/idle fees will not be an issue because these will not be not connected to Tesla's supercharger network. They may appear in the map, but it'll probably be classified as a destination charger in Tesla's system.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I still think the Kahala supercharger(s) are part of a planned hotel "fleet" of Teslas that will be available for hotel guest rental/use and not the general public. The hotel's investment in the infrastructure necessary for this doesn't make sense any other way. Don't count on having public access to these superchargers, even if you are willing to pay the parking fee. IIRC, you can't even get to the top floor of the garage via the public parking entrance. Most likely public access is if you valet your car while attending a function or dining at the hotel, and the valet (if they're nice) will plug it in for you if there's a space available. Supercharging energy/idle fees will not be an issue because these will not be not connected to Tesla's supercharger network. They may appear in the map, but it'll probably be classified as a destination charger in Tesla's system.
It will be part of the tesla supercharger network. Most likely there won't be an idle charge fee due to valet having control over charging. Boy the hotel AND Tesla wants people to charge there.

This station just happened to get thru the permitting process quicker than the other 3 or 4 planned stations.

There is still no transformer as of today.

Even 6 months here is lickety-split fast. In my former job we waited a year and three months before we could turn on the A/C's that were already installed. I doubt we will see transformers for Pearlridge and/or Kahala in less than a year wait. Hope I am wrong, but just trying to prepare people for the shock.

Even 6 months here is lickety-split fast. In my former job we waited a year and three months before we could turn on the A/C's that were already installed. I doubt we will see transformers for Pearlridge and/or Kahala in less than a year wait. Hope I am wrong, but just trying to prepare people for the shock.
Supercharger Tesla guy told me the transformer was already on island...3 months ago

Reactions: Akikiki
The Sony Open is going on this week at the hotel, and Jan->March is high season. There are many tourists at the Kahala Hotel during this time. Since they have to shut the power off to the hotel to do the remaining electrical work, I doubt that this will see any movement until April or May.

Attachments

• IMG_2060.jpg
    IMG_2060.jpg
    775.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Informative
Reactions: TerranApart