Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hood River, OR - Anchor Way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

Tesla is already planning a second Supercharger for Hood River!!

A new permit was filed on the state-wide portal for a new station at 501 Portway Ave. Number of stalls is unknown but definitely a Supercharger. Looking forward to how it rolls out!!

Attachments

• Hood River Portway1.jpg
    Hood River Portway1.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 394

A new permit was filed on the state-wide portal for a new station at 501 Portway Ave. Number of stalls is unknown but definitely a Supercharger. Looking forward to how it rolls out!!
No indication yet that this is definitely a supercharger, could it simply be some HPWCs going in? For the benefit of employees/customers? It is for Blackstone Construction who are known to have completed many supercharger locations in the PNW.

Would permits for destination charger installations be issued on this portal too?

Reactions: Quigibo

Well this is odd..... This doesn't make a lot of sense when OR is not exactly "flush" with superchargers and Hood River isn't... well, Portland....

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Honestly, I figured that area is where they would put in the Supercharger. I bet it's business provided HPWCs as mentioned above.
If for some reason they decided to close The Dalles, it might make sense to have a 2nd but... that's a stretch....

No indication yet that this is definitely a supercharger, could it simply be some HPWCs going in? For the benefit of employees/customers? It is for Blackstone Construction who are known to have completed many supercharger locations in the PNW.

Would permits for destination charger installations be issued on this portal too?
Highly unlikely it is a HPWC. There is the fact Blackstone has filed the permits, but also that the permit is requiring a 1000 amp service

D8B4DA6C-261A-4980-878F-9D5EEDD65401.jpeg

Also, looking a little more, it looks like the construction location is 504 Anchor Way.. with reference of the business location being 501 Portway.... so this parking lot.... It also says in "parking lot extension".. so maybe in that dirt area to the south... extending the parking lot and adding SC?

1634153062498.png

Last edited:
Is there easier access to one or the other from east or west bound lanes?
At least in terms of diversion, and avoiding left at a light, this one for westbound and the other for eastbound.

It might just be a space problem, with 2 x 8 being easier than 1 x 16.
Or, maybe it's just that this one raised their hand after hearing about the other installation.

Reactions: PLUS EV
I am sad it is not close to full sail or iron horse nor is it boardman/biggs, but i will absolutely take it. it's a good spot.
Heh, yeah, I got pretty used to using the CHAdeMO across the street from Full Sail for a great lunch stop on the way to Portland. Could still walk there from this Supercharger though, I guess. This area of Hood River isn't that big.

• Disagree
Reactions: TripleA
A couple comments:

-Blackstone isn't going down to Oregon just to install HPWCs. Like others said, I'm fairly confident this is a supercharger just based on their involvement.

-55k is awful cheap for a supercharger but way too much to be HPWCs. They used to list the valuation of supercharger installations as something like a quarter million dollars. More recently I've seen it be in the 100-200k range. Maybe they've streamlined the process to make it as cheap as 55k. If so, that's great, especially when you compare it to non-Tesla L3 charging installations.

-It's definitely possible that one of these Hood River sites fell through and we'll only end up with one supercharger. The fact that they are on opposite sides of the highway gives some hope that both will go in. If that happens, I think a supercharger at Biggs Junction is unlikely in the near future. But I don't think any of this has an impact on the possibility of a Boardman supercharger.

A couple comments:

-Blackstone isn't going down to Oregon just to install HPWCs. Like others said, I'm fairly confident this is a supercharger just based on their involvement.

-55k is awful cheap for a supercharger but way too much to be HPWCs. They used to list the valuation of supercharger installations as something like a quarter million dollars. More recently I've seen it be in the 100-200k range. Maybe they've streamlined the process to make it as cheap as 55k. If so, that's great, especially when you compare it to non-Tesla L3 charging installations.

-It's definitely possible that one of these Hood River sites fell through and we'll only end up with one supercharger. The fact that they are on opposite sides of the highway gives some hope that both will go in. If that happens, I think a supercharger at Biggs Junction is unlikely in the near future. But I don't think any of this has an impact on the possibility of a Boardman supercharger.
I agree about the Boardman possibility. Mainly was just joking that it would be crazy if we got two new ones in the same location and still zero info on one more East.

Do you know if the electrical work scope includes the full valuation of the site, or just the contract for Blackstone to install/complete the work? Because $55k for a supercharger seems way to cheap... but I would believe $55k for site prep and install.

I agree about the Boardman possibility. Mainly was just joking that it would be crazy if we got two new ones in the same location and still zero info on one more East.

Do you know if the electrical work scope includes the full valuation of the site, or just the contract for Blackstone to install/complete the work? Because $55k for a supercharger seems way to cheap... but I would believe $55k for site prep and install.

It reads to me like this is the value of the electrical work, excluding at least the Supercharger equipment and possibly also excluding switchgear equipment.

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV and Quigibo
WTF was my first reaction. Like @acarney, I really want a Boardman SC (perfect coffee removal rest stop going west). However, seeing the two Hood River SCs on opposite sides of I84, each one easier access in opposite directions makes perfect sense. FYI, there is precedence for this with some East coast SCs. Initially, I wasn’t real excited by the western site because it was only easy access heading East. Now I see the logic.

Reactions: agegamon