Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hood River, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Much cheaper lot just a little East in Rufus, OR.

Looks to be very easy access to the interstate and not THAT far detour when traveling HWY 97… $329k.

Very interesting idea, but I don’t see any guarantee that Tesla would deploy a supercharger there or allow the franchising of superchargers. If you could guarantee deployment I could potentially see a “Oregon Friends of Tesla” group or something purchasing land and getting superchargers deployed. Maybe setup the group in conjunction with an owners group and solicit financial contributions from owners… Possibly the end goal could be to sell the location in a few years once established to someone that plans to build some kind of income generating business (restaurant, convenience store, coffee stand, etc). Ideally you could provide data on amount of cars visiting the site, average time there, and maybe even some generalized demographic information about the owners.

If we truly believe EV adoption is the way of the future (I suspect everyone here and willing to go into an endeavor like this does), than you could also expand that to CCS based quick chargers and almost guarantee a customer base in the next five years or so. If successfully selling the property the group could roll any profits back into supporting superchargers by hosting more remote locations that might get forgotten by Tesla… or maybe five years down the road it could go more to funding an “adopt a supercharger” type situation where trash service is added to locations, etc.

Obviously it would be great is Tesla took this all on, but if any owners group was going to do something like this, Tesla owners seem like the ones to figure it out… all hedges on ensuring a supercharger build though, otherwise you’re just buying an empty lot…

Next!! 811 ticket filed for Hood River at the Cascade Commons, could be in the Safeway or Rite Aid parking lot.

1632005467769.png

The downside to this location is that this parking lot gets pretty full. I was in Hood River for a couple weeks this summer. I went to the Safeway a couple times and had to park in the spots along Cascade. I drove by on several more occasions and it looked just as crowded. Too bad they didn’t put it in the Walmart lot near the EA chargers - that lot is pretty large and was never more than half full.

to be done with The Dalles will be heaven.

Agreed. It was fine back in 2017 (or even earlier, it was opened in 2014 when there were practically no teslas) when you could always roll up and charge, but multiple times in the last 2 years I've had to wait for people (who are inevitably trying to get all the way to 95%+ LOL). Then, even when you get a stall you're at reduced rates, so you end up hogging a stall for a long time.

That said, I'm not sure I actually want them to shut the Dalles down. It'd be a good emergency backup, or a good alternate stop if you need to charge all the way up to 90%+ SOC once this charger is open.

I don't know the details behind Boardman, other than some speculation about it in the Troutdale SC thread. That said, think that focusing on this charger makes more sense. Boardman might be too far if you're leaving Portland with low SOC, and that'd normally just drive more traffic towards the Dalles. Instead, even if you don't stop at Troutdale, you could make it here with relatively low SOC from Portland, and jump on to tri-cities or Pendleton.

Reactions: PStewart
Agreed. It was fine back in 2017 (or even earlier, it was opened in 2014 when there were practically no teslas) when you could always roll up and charge, but multiple times in the last 2 years I've had to wait for people (who are inevitably trying to get all the way to 95%+ LOL). Then, even when you get a stall you're at reduced rates, so you end up hogging a stall for a long time.

That said, I'm not sure I actually want them to shut the Dalles down. It'd be a good emergency backup, or a good alternate stop if you need to charge all the way up to 90%+ SOC once this charger is open.

I don't know the details behind Boardman, other than some speculation about it in the Troutdale SC thread. That said, think that focusing on this charger makes more sense. Boardman might be too far if you're leaving Portland with low SOC, and that'd normally just drive more traffic towards the Dalles. Instead, even if you don't stop at Troutdale, you could make it here with relatively low SOC from Portland, and jump on to tri-cities or Pendleton.
Many of us in the Seattle area enjoy the Seattle-Bend route through Yakima (when time is not the priority) so would prefer the Dalles stay open too!