Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hooksett NH Rest Areas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else think it's odd that the tap wires leading down to the SC transformer are much thicker than the overhead distribution wires?

The cables going down the pole are thicker because of the insulation needed to carry the medium Voltage (~14 kV) underground. On the overhead wires and the wires connecting to the underground cable, there is no insulation on the bare wires and they appear much thinner; in fact, the wire size is about the same for the connectors and the underground cable. The bare wires are insulated by the various porcelain insulators on the poles.

It's always amazing to me that they make the last connections to the overhead wires while the line is hot. You have to trust your insulated lift and have the right tools... :eek:

It's always amazing to me that they make the last connections to the overhead wires while the line is hot. You have to trust your insulated lift and have the right tools... :eek:
Well, the first thing I was taught about rock climbing was "learn to trust your equipment, then it gets a lot easier." The same rule might apply here.

Actually, there's a lot going on in that picture I don't understand (but I know nothing about HV distribution). It was much more complicated than I expected (I was expecting to see three pieces of wire connecting the stripped ends of the insulated wires to the overhead lines, not all the crap noted below).

2015-01-20 16.31.27 - Copy.jpg

Anyone else think it's odd that the tap wires leading down to the SC transformer are much thicker than the overhead distribution wires?

They appear thicker, because they are "coaxial", the center conductor is the same size, surounded by an insulator, then there is an overall aluminum shield to keep RF radiation down, which is grounded.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, the first thing I was taught about rock climbing was "learn to trust your equipment, then it gets a lot easier." The same rule might apply here.

Actually, there's a lot going on in that picture I don't understand (but I know nothing about HV distribution). It was much more complicated than I expected (I was expecting to see three pieces of wire connecting the stripped ends of the insulated wires to the overhead lines, not all the crap noted below).

View attachment 69886

Each of the 3 conductors in the 3 phase wiring is connected to a lightning arrestor, as well as the center coaxial conductor of the leads running into the conduit to the transformer. The bottom of the lighting arrestor is connected to ground, as is the coaxial shield on the 3 wires going to the distribution transformer. The grounding is to keep RF radiation down.. which is does very well. It's actually not all that complex, once you are aware of the lighting arrestors, and that the shields of the coaxial HV conductors are also grounded. The bottom wire running along that pole is an earth ground, as you can see it connected to the bottom of the lightning arrestors, and it also connects to the coaxial shields on the 3 down leads to the dist. transformer.

They appear thicker, because they are "coaxial", the center conductor is the same size, surounded by an insulator, then there is an overall aluminum shield to keep RF radiation down, which is grounded.
Now that you mention it, I was surprised at how thick the wire was on the trailer-mounted spool I saw last week: Supercharger - Hooksett NH Rest Areas - Page 18

Each of the 3 conductors in the 3 phase wiring is connected to a lightning arrestor, as well as the center coaxial conductor of the leads running into the conduit to the transformer. The bottom of the lighting arrestor is connected to ground, as is the coaxial shield on the 3 wires going to the distribution transformer. The grounding is to keep RF radiation down.. which is does very well. It's actually not all that complex, once you are aware of the lighting arrestors, and that the shields of the coaxial HV conductors are also grounded. The bottom wire running along that pole is an earth ground, as you can see it connected to the bottom of the lightning arrestors, and it also connects to the coaxial shields on the 3 down leads to the dist. transformer.
So the three "insulators" next to the splices that have power going into the top and ground out the bottom are the lightning arrestors. I get it; that makes sense now. I just noticed that there appears to be a wire running from the horizontal ground to the guy wire (which, I'm guessing, is part of the grounding system).

Although I'm surprised that RF filtering is needed, given this is only 60Hz AC. What's the source of the RF?

Although I'm surprised that RF filtering is needed, given this is only 60Hz AC. What's the source of the RF?

13 thousand volts will raise the hair on your arms, its a huge RF issue, as well as EMI. high voltage distribution cables are always coaxial when brought in close proximity to each other, as they are in a conduit.

BTW, the devices on the lower cross member that directly connect to the HV wire on the pole are fuses, and they don't actually do all of the work "hot". Once the fuseholders are mounted and connected, everything below that point is safe to work on (fuses not installed of course). They use a "hot stick" (fiberglass insulated stick, and they have HV gloves on as well) from a bucket truck next to the fuse holder to install the fuses (one at a time).

In case you're wondering how I know all of this, I once did a padmount transformer install, inclucing putting on the HV connectors you see at the end of the coaxial wire, as well as the the HV "elbow" connectors that are installed on the transformer wiring vault, which plug in directly to the transformer (they use a hot stick to plug those in as well). It's a real PITA to terminate those connectors on HV coaxial cable, involves lots of sanding to remove the outer aluminum shield, etc. No, I am not an electrician, just worked with one on a building renovation I was involved with.

Last edited:
Actually, a two-hour window probably would make more sense: 1 to 3 PM. The weather looks ok. 90% chance of light rain & snow in Hooksett, with a high of 38F. There's 0% chance of precipitation for White River Junction VT, so this should not be a big problem for those coming from the north.

KEEP AN EYE on this thread for updates.

Last edited:
How about a gathering celebration at HOOKSETT NORTHBOUND this Saturday? I'm thinking 1 to 2 PM to give Vermont owners time to get down there. I'm going to talk to Tesla this morning to see if they can send someone up from Natick.

Anyone interested?

Todd Lockwood
Burlington, VT

I can't make it (social obligation already on calender). Of course, without CHADEMO co-location I'd be left hunting for a 3.3kw charge in Concord anyway... (I really don't venture far from home in my LEAF).

Actually, a two-hour window probably would make more sense: 1 to 3 PM. The weather looks ok. 90% chance of light rain & snow in Hooksett, with a high of 38F. There's 0% chance of precipitation for White River Junction VT, so this should not be a big problem for those coming from the north.

KEEP AN EYE on this thread for updates.

----------------------

EVENT TO BE RESCHEDULED FOR APRIL

Due to the short notice, the majority of owners I contacted had prior plans for this Saturday. And of course the weather could be a problem for those coming up from points south. So we're going to postpone until April. The good news is that Tesla is interested in making this an official Tesla event! Perhaps we'll get both Northbound and Southbound locations involved. Tesla will be contacting owners in the region once it's on the calendar. Should be fun!

----------------------

EVENT TO BE RESCHEDULED FOR APRIL

Due to the short notice, the majority of owners I contacted had prior plans for this Saturday. And of course the weather could be a problem for those coming up from points south. So we're going to postpone until April. The good news is that Tesla is interested in making this an official Tesla event! Perhaps we'll get both Northbound and Southbound locations involved. Tesla will be contacting owners in the region once it's on the calendar. Should be fun!

I should be able to be there, P85D is scheduled to be delivered in March.

I charged at Hooksett Northbound and Southbound this weekend going to and from the White Mountains from CT. The NB diner was great for breakfast! Unfortunately, the SB diner was still under construction so the only ways to pass the time were the convenience store and the massive state liquor store.

The new Hooksett service areas are being dedicated on Tuesday, March 17 at 11am. New Hampshire Governor Maggie Hassan will be there, as well as some Tesla VIPs. The event will be at the NORTHBOUND service area, so those approaching from the north will need to exit just before the toll booths and make a U-turn to get back on the highway heading north on I-93. Tesla owners are welcome to attend.

Last edited: