Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hooksett NH Rest Areas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll 2nd that on the pictures. Will be tomorrow to take pictures. I have a 4K camcorder, and 18MPixel camera. I'll have them for your viewing pleasures later:lyuriove:.
You may need to shrink the files to post. The site wouldn't let me upload 8 mpix images from my phone (too large). I had to shrink down to 25% of original size.

If you go today, can you get updated pictures of the trench and the pad area so we can see how many conduits are installed (and thus how many spaces)? If not, I'll check Monday if no one else has. Also count the number of charging pedestals and bollards on site. Our just ask the guys how many they are installing. :smile:
I'm hoping that during the busy season, these spots will not be ICE'd or I'll be surely pissed.
With that big lot up by the main building, I highly doubt anyone will ICE the furthest spots and take a long walk, when they can park much closer. I wrote a long diatribe about that here in post 70

Reactions: chjch
Exciting time, I've been watching this thread closely - probably many others are too.

For what it's worth, Sagamore had 3 Square D cabinets and 4 SC cabinets for 8 bays. I don't know if there's any correlation between the switchgear and SC cabinet quantities though.
The Switchgear Trinity is, left to right: [Switching Components] [Connections] [Big-A$$ Breakers]
I don't imagine this would change among sites ranging from 1 to over 10 charging stations.

The Switchgear Trinity is, left to right: [Switching Components] [Connections] [Big-A$$ Breakers]
I don't imagine this would change among sites ranging from 1 to over 10 charging stations.

It's a little more complicated than that. Here are a few pictures.

Here is a picture of the bus bars that distribute the power across the frames. This is from the Blanding site with 4 stalls.
Blanding Bus.JPG

And here is a picture of the main 480 Volt, 3-phase power being connected to the bus bars. This is for the Farmington Site with 4-stalls. You need more wires for more stalls, using more of those crimp connectors.
View attachment 65248

And here is the other end of those wires in Farmington being connected to the Utility Transformer. Those are big wires, 500 mcm or the equivalent of a solid copper bar 0.7 in in diameter.
View attachment 65249

Last edited:
Anybody know if there'll be CHAdeMO there too, or just SCs?

Haven't gotten a Tesla to replace the leaf yet, eh? me either.

my original email with the engineer left me with the understanding that while they had a deal with Telsa (ie, funding) they didn't have any other DC charging. I believe he said they were exploring options, or something like that. Perhaps we need to start really lobbying Common Man (they are running the diners at the rest areas) to get a set (min of three, perhaps) Combo CHADEMO and SAE chargers next to the tesla spots. Heck, a common man based charging network would really be a decent coverage map for NH!

Last edited:
Those rest areas are often crowded. NH liquor outlets there too. Fairly high risk of ICEing.
The liquor store is at the other end of the lot. There are lots of spaces much closer to the store, so I wouldn't worry about accidental ICE'ing. Now "screw those 1%'er Tesla owners" intentional ICE'ing may be a different story.

I'll try to remember to take some panoramic shots next week to better show the layout for those not familiar with it.

Anybody know if there'll be CHAdeMO there too, or just SCs?
I didn't think to ask, but I wouldn't necessarily expect them to know - I got the impression the foreman worked for a Tesla subcontractor, and the 2 other guys didn't know anything about it - they were just doing what the foreman and plans said to do. If I can talk to a contractor on site next week I'll ask.

It's a little more complicated than that. Here are a few pictures.

Here is a picture of the bus bars that distribute the power across the frames. This is from the Blanding site with 4 stalls.
It looks like only your first picture worked - the second and third have broken links.

Now those are bus bars! At my first job out of college, I worked (briefly) on a small SIMD mini supercomputer from the 80's (don't remember the brand, but it was a short lived startup) with a monster power supply. 2.5V (I think) at several hundred amps (I don't remember the logic family, but this was back when "high end normal stuff" was 33mHz, 5V CMOS). The copper bus bars it fed were almost as big as my wrists.

I have an early meeting in NH Monday AM, so I'll be heading south early afternoon. I should be able to get some good daylight photos on the southbound side. I'll start packing a real DLSR w/ a long lens in case I can't get close during the workday (I don't want to bother the crew too much)

It looks like only your first picture worked - the second and third have broken links.

Did you try clicking in the attachment links. That worked for me. Anyway, here is another try. Each of those "wires" is almost an inch in diameter with insulation.

3 - 500 mcm cables per phase into the Distribution Center:
Farmington-NCM_1187.JPG

3 - 500 mcm cables per phase into the Utility Transformer:
Farmington-NCM_1196.JPG

Did you try clicking in the attachment links. That worked for me. Anyway, here is another try. Each of those "wires" is almost an inch in diameter with insulation.
No, I got "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator" on #2 and #3 (then and now). Maybe it's a caching issue at one of our ends.

Thanks for reposting; I think I've seen #1 before, but definitely not #2 and #3. The crimper for those connections must be pretty impressive. I've done crimps on 2/0, but 500mcm!

I was there last week there are three chargers in their shipping crates in each direction .... north and south.

I swung by Friday afternoon and spoke with the guys installing the north bound installation, one of which works for Tesla. They were waiting for the cement truck to come pour around the 6 stations and the pad for the transformer & chargers. They expect to be live right after Christmas.

I stopped the the south bound on the way back to work and while the trenches had been dug not much else was done. I assume they'll start on the south bound side when their finished with the north bound.

Hello
Stopped by the Hooksett Northbound SC Site, Tuesday 16 Dec 2014. 6 stalls being worked on and wired. The SC is installed also the controller. The transformer to be installed by the Power Company is TBD. The Foreman said they were shooting for 1 Jan. To see them, pull in to gas pump #1 or #2 and look straight ahead about 30 yards. They are right in front of you.
photo 4 (1).JPG
photo 1.JPG

Sin Gas

Southbound Hooksett Progress

The southbound Hooksett SC is coming along. Again, weather permitting by Xmas/end of year. Needs a Transformer, so we will see. Lots of Tesla Boxes. To see it, go to pump #12 and the SC is about 50 yards ahead of you, past the Liquor store, west of the pumps.

photo 4.JPG
photo 1.JPG

Sin_Gas