Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hooksett NH Rest Areas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
30 min to save $6... Sounds like you're just being stubborn! :biggrin:

(My Father-in-law does this all the time - rt 9 from Metrowest into Boston to save the Pike toll)

Do you even need to go to Hooksett anyway? You should be able to go Portland->West Leb directly, passing Winnipesaukee and picking up I89 around New London, <150 miles
You're right that (a) I'm Yankee cheap, 9th generation Baystater and (b) once West Leb is open, I won't need the Hooksett stop and can take the shorter routing. The Hooksett liquor store is incredibly well-stocked with things difficult to find elsewhere, though, so it's not a bad place.

The owner of the turf charging Tesla in Hooksett probably isn't bothered by the 'tollgate' discussion here. Fleets of supercharging taxis or perhaps a rogue Uber driver are a problem, although not here in New England. More to Robert's point, another Yankee trait is ingenuity, which was nicely captured in the charging picture. All in all, an interesting diversion while waiting for West Leb to come on line.

There's always the chance that our moderator will bury these comments in the dormant Hooksett thread. Then it'll be like nothing ever happened. ;)

I was suddenly called to work from Vaca in NH yesterday morning, and heading back to NH, I hit a 23 (twenty-three) mile backup on 93. Used Tesla Nav to negotiate back roads BUT had 65 miles to go, with lots of elevation and 88 degrees, with 73 miles 'in the tank'. I could not get back on 93 and, just a week after wondering WHAT THE HECK SS was doing backed up to the Hooksett SC... Well there I was. Not recommended. Not planning to do it again. Not proud. Okay a little proud: had to pull less than 2cm from the guard rail with no one to guide me.
But made it home skirting hours of traffic. Suggest: Tesla obtain a permit to put three-four parking pads right there, Route 3A, still separated by a divider from the highway. Good for everyone as we'd still be buying food and drink at the rest area, as indeed I did while stopped there yesterday. Note cars can pull into the rest area from Rte 3A, but can not access the highway (or the SC's). A simple fix with a parking area on Rte 3A, up against the SC's.

So you just never know. Glass houses and stones or something like that. Let's all be Slow to criticize, Quick to charge. Humbled everyday.

2cm? Actually I think less:
image.jpg

Wouldn't a parking lot look nice there?
image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Warbird and chjch
Yes. I am also told that the locals enjoy access to other services at the Hookset center, such as the bank.

Good point. I hadn't thought of it that way. From the sounds of it, the charging trick may not be necessary if the gate is left unlocked. When I charge there, I've noticed numerous cars coming into the lot that way. Perhaps the locals like the food there!

Reactions: chjch
I'm on my second trip to Vermont since I got my 85D. I meant to stop at Hooksett last Friday but forgot and drove straight through. I stopped last night to try it out; don't really need it for my trip, but it's convenient having all those stores there.

Stopped at the northbound Hookset charger on Friday afternoon 10/14 and had a good experience. Decided to try the hot cider and hot "cider donuts" from the little trailer parked outside the building, not far from the Superchargers, same side of the lot. Yummy stuff! Good a good fast charge, to boot.

On the way back on Sunday, did not see such a trailer on the southbound side, disappointed. So I guess it is a one-off.

Stopped at the northbound Hookset charger on Friday afternoon 10/14 and had a good experience. Decided to try the hot cider and hot "cider donuts" from the little trailer parked outside the building, not far from the Superchargers, same side of the lot. Yummy stuff! Good a good fast charge, to boot.

On the way back on Sunday, did not see such a trailer on the southbound side, disappointed. So I guess it is a one-off.
I'm kinda surprised that trailer hasn't gone the way of the dodo bird. It appeared when they first started building the rest area, before the restaurants and store opened. I didn't expect it to continue once the indoor facilities opened.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I was suddenly called to work from Vaca in NH yesterday morning, and heading back to NH, I hit a 23 (twenty-three) mile backup on 93. Used Tesla Nav to negotiate back roads BUT had 65 miles to go, with lots of elevation and 88 degrees, with 73 miles 'in the tank'. I could not get back on 93 and, just a week after wondering WHAT THE HECK SS was doing backed up to the Hooksett SC... Well there I was. Not recommended. Not planning to do it again. Not proud. Okay a little proud: had to pull less than 2cm from the guard rail with no one to guide me.
But made it home skirting hours of traffic. Suggest: Tesla obtain a permit to put three-four parking pads right there, Route 3A, still separated by a divider from the highway. Good for everyone as we'd still be buying food and drink at the rest area, as indeed I did while stopped there yesterday. Note cars can pull into the rest area from Rte 3A, but can not access the highway (or the SC's). A simple fix with a parking area on Rte 3A, up against the SC's.

So you just never know. Glass houses and stones or something like that. Let's all be Slow to criticize, Quick to charge. Humbled everyday.

2cm? Actually I think less:
View attachment 87069

Wouldn't a parking lot look nice there?
View attachment 87070
I live in NH and quite used to the dichotomy of sane norms and live free or die ethic. Have used he Hooksett SCs both north and south. Go to northern VT frequently and use Hooksett, Lebanon and Berlin VT as needed. On fridays 93 NB has major backups in summer. Use route 3A instead and always wondered if the charger cable would reach the 3A side. You have shown it will. Very tight fit. I suppose if you have someone riding shotgun one could parallel park and they could plug you in. Thanks for solving my dilemma.

I must say that almost every time I've used a SC and another Tesla is there, the driver has always been friendly and great to talk to.

Bad news, the cider/donut trailer is gone. Good news, they appear to be building a bigger, permanent shed in it's place. It was too dark to get a decent picture, but as of tonight, it's framed and partially sheathed.

• Informative
Reactions: chjch and David29