Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hooksett NH Rest Areas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They started Drummondville, Quebec last week. There were also a couple of sites completed recently WAY North in Norway. I'm thinking they don't like to construct Superchargers when daylight is plentiful. (Since vampire draw is down, they need to act like Dracula in other ways).

the frozen ground is the issue. East Greenwich, RI took a lot longer than scheduled and cost a lot more money because of the winter conditions.

I'll be driving by Hookset this weekend and will peak around.
But really just looking for an excuse to buy a $4 piece of maple sugar candy, for which I remain a sucker.
My source must remain anonymous, but they assure me it is real maple sugar, not Aunt Jemima concentrate.

• Funny
Reactions: chjch
Someone reports definitive plans by NH DOT to install superchargers: #515

I hate to be repetitive, but that is exactly the same 'definitive news' that I used to justify starting this thread. We know, based on maps and contacts, that there are plans. Until we see crates at the site we won't have any new information, i'm afraid. So, thanks to all those who can and do drive by this (or any other site) for recon!

Construction started this morning! I am at the northbound rest area now, and just spoke with the contractors. They are offloading the charging bollards (or whatever they are called) as I type. The trench is dug and the conduits are in place. They said both sides are being built simultaneously.

I took a bunch of pictures and will upload later tonight.

Construction started this morning! I am at the northbound rest area now, and just spoke with the contractors. They are offloading the charging bollards (or whatever they are called) as I type. The trench is dug and the conduits are in place. They said both sides are being built simultaneously.

Yay! This is great news.

I can confirm!!! Saw rectangular wooden "crates" on the Northbound side. There seemed to be a lot of construction guys huddled around them.

I think it is indeed happening.

I'll 2nd that on the pictures. Will be tomorrow to take pictures. I have a 4K camcorder, and 18MPixel camera. I'll have them for your viewing pleasures later:love:.

Northbound photos

I stopped by the northbound rest area a little before 2pm today. I make the trip through Hooksett a couple of times a week, so I will update with new photos as they go along.

There were three guys working on the site. The foreman has done 5-6 supercharger installs, and was very excited about the car and the projects (he said he came out of retirement to work on them). He was unloading the second bollard (of 8) from the trailer when I arrived. The 2 other electricians were installing conduit where the pedestal/switchgear pad will be, and said this was their first supercharger installation. They asked a bunch of questions about the car, how long the supercharger takes, etc. I answered as best as I could (for a not-yet-but-soon-to-be owner). The foreman said they should take about 2 weeks to finish the construction, that they started this morning, and that they would be working on both sides simultaneously (northbound has a bit of a head start).

Switchgear (there were three of these Square D cabinets. This is a closeup of the label)
switchgear.jpg

To-be-poured pad area:
pad1.jpg

pad2.jpg

Plans for Hooksett at the bottom of the hole
pad3.jpg

The new trench at the edge of the lot (no conduit yet)
trench.jpg

The first 2 bollards:
bollard-closest.jpg

bollard-close.jpg

bollard-far.jpg

Last edited:
Southbound photos

Less progress on the other side of the highway. All they've done so far is the excavation. The project area is just south of the building (where the entrance to the store and bathrooms are).

As an aside, in the last week, the gas pumps and the convenience store on the southbound side have opened.

This view shows the area where the charging stations will be installed, as viewed from the entrance to the store and bathrooms at the south end of the building. The excavated area is behind the building's transformer, to the left of the wooden fenced-in area that encloses some dumpsters. It looks like the charging stations will be centered around the distant light post.
south-distant.jpg

The south end of the trench (looking northwest):
south1.jpg

The area where the pedestal/switchgear pad will be at the north end of the trench (looking southwest):
south2.jpg

FYI, from the conduit layout, Nortbound will have 3 SuperCharger cabinets and 6 stalls (3 conduits to the distribution equipment, 6 pipes in the trench). probably all that's needed, considering it will probably be 6 Southbound as well, so you could always use the set on the otherside, if one side was full.

WOW! 2 weeks!??!?!
That's what the foreman said. The crew didn't think that was enough time, but then they said "He's done a bunch, and this is our first"

This was just construction time - the foreman said it could take longer to get the utility connection done.

FYI, from the conduit layout, Nortbound will have 3 SuperCharger cabinets and 6 stalls (3 conduits to the distribution equipment, 6 pipes in the trench). probably all that's needed, considering it will probably be 6 Southbound as well, so you could always use the set on the otherside, if one side was full.
They were still installing conduit when I showed up, so there may have been 2 more to go. I'll see what's there at the beginning of next week.

I thought they had said 8, but I'm not sure. And the label on the crate mentions "8 pk", for what that's worth. I did not think to count the number of parking spaces that had a trench in front of them.

- - - Updated - - -

And now there are now two new entries for Hooksett on http://supercharge.info/

View attachment 65198
Do we know who updates that site? They sure are on the ball...

EDIT - Nevermind... RTFM. Just read the about page. Thanks for the work, Blueshift

Exciting time, I've been watching this thread closely - probably many others are too.

For what it's worth, Sagamore had 3 Square D cabinets and 4 SC cabinets for 8 bays. I don't know if there's any correlation between the switchgear and SC cabinet quantities though.