Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hope, BC - Klassen Road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waste of money, should build out where there are no superchargers. Or at least first. I do like the sign reminding us how much we DON'T have to pay for gas :D

It's really a matter of which Municipalities and/or Businesses that want to work with Tesla to install Superchargers on their land, than a real choice of where Tesla want to build these. If it was up to Tesla, I think they would have installed Superchargers in every town by now but not many businesses are interested in the EV charging business (profits from EV charging are slim). It may very well be that the original Superchargers in Hope may be closing down ... we don't know the inside details why they decided to add 12 new Superchargers in Hope. But as long as they're adding more fast chargers anywhere in Canada, and Municipalities + Businesses are teaming up with Tesla, Flo, ChargePoint, Electrify Canada and so on, then it's never a waste of money. Before the end of 2021, BC will be loaded with Superchargers.

Has anybody noticed a secondary non-Tesla fast charger at this new Hope location (eg. Flo charger)? Like in Cache Creek, Quesnel and Williams Lake?
Photos don’t show one.

note: the locations with Flo chargers are due to an federal nrcan grant that usually requires one chademo station (hence why electricify Canada has one chademo/5 CCS). This location might of been completed without a federal grant.

——
And the trend seems to offer a replacement 250KW to all current 150KW stations along Trans Canada Highway 1. (Ex. Golden, canmore)

I can't see why you'd want to get rid of the old location. If you do, you're just going to have to expand or build another one in Hope a year from now. All the major highways funnel into Hope so it is a key location. Having two options, one on each side of the highway, is a good thing.
Yeah, either way I am happy there are more options (and 250kw ones) from Seattle to Kamloops, as I travel that route relatively often to visit family (when the borders aren't closed). Although with my battery degradation hitting around 10% already, I might need to change to Chilliwack + Merritt stops.

To clarify, it's evident from the existing published photos that we only see Superchargers, what I am asking is if someone goes to this new Hope location in the near future, to have a look and see if a Flo charger or other charger was added somewhere there as well. Keeping in mind that some Municipalities have their own stipulations in their building codes which may require a secondary charger. Eg. the new North Vancouver Supercharger had no grants from the Federal or Provincial level, yet they installed two Level 2 40 Amp charging stations. So if someone from the EV community happens to go to Hope, please have a good look to see if there are any other chargers as well.

To clarify, it's evident from the existing published photos that we only see Superchargers, what I am asking is if someone goes to this new Hope location in the near future, to have a look and see if a Flo charger or other charger was added somewhere there as well. Keeping in mind that some Municipalities have their own stipulations in their building codes which may require a secondary charger. Eg. the new North Vancouver Supercharger had no grants from the Federal or Provincial level, yet they installed two Level 2 40 Amp charging stations. So if someone from the EV community happens to go to Hope, please have a good look to see if there are any other chargers as well.
I was there yesterday and only saw the Tesla Superchargers.
Photo 2021-06-06, 10 07 49 AM.jpg
Photo 2021-06-06, 10 09 13 AM.jpg
Photo 2021-06-06, 10 09 29 AM.jpg
Photo 2021-06-06, 10 09 00 AM.jpg

Funny, the Grey pin (target opening Q3) on the Tesla's map is covered by the Red pin. You have to zoom in really close to see it. From the looks of it that location may be open ahead of schedule. I find it interesting they are doing this site now when it's so close to another location, when their are so many sites further east of that area that need to be completed just for basic traveling.
The covered pin situation caused some confusion for sure. I started a thread on this new location around the new year but it was deleted at the time. Great to see the site was legitimate and is now built.

As for the duplication, it's awesome. This is a busy spot and the faster chargers will be a welcome change. The layout of the original spot is a bit interesting and this is a lot cleaner.

Funny, the Grey pin (target opening Q3) on the Tesla's map is covered by the Red pin. You have to zoom in really close to see it. From the looks of it that location may be open ahead of schedule. I find it interesting they are doing this site now when it's so close to another location, when their are so many sites further east of that area that need to be completed just for basic traveling.
The grey pins are typically placed right where the town/city name is shown on the Tesla Find Us map and don’t indicate the actual location of the future Supercharger.

I find it odd that right after this new 12 stall location opens in Hope, Tesla shows a second location coming in a few months.

Reactions: Vawlkus
The grey pins are typically placed right where the town/city name is shown on the Tesla Find Us map and don’t indicate the actual location of the future Supercharger.

I find it odd that right after this new 12 stall location opens in Hope, Tesla shows a second location coming in a few months.

@ecarfan if I remember correctly, someone said there is an older (v2?) Supercharger already in Hope that services people travelling in the opposite direciton; maybe they plan to replace/upgrade that installation to v3?

I think most people know about the placement of the "coming soon pins". It's just in this case the existing pin almost perfectly overlapped it until you zoomed right in so some people kept denying it was there.

Speaking of the grey pin, it is for the new 12 stall location not in addition to it. It's seemingly ahead of schedule. There's the existing and often full V2 station in town, and now this new 12 stall V3 location near the freeway. I don't think the new location is running yet. I'd expect it would have been posted here.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
@ecarfan if I remember correctly, someone said there is an older (v2?) Supercharger already in Hope that services people travelling in the opposite direciton; maybe they plan to replace/upgrade that installation to v3?
There is a v2 in right beside the Dairy Queen. The new location is a v3 with 12 stalls with easy on/off ramps heading east (exit 168). It can be accessed heading west at the same exit but you will need to drive 3.5kms on Flood-Hope Rd to get to the on-ramp to Hwy 1. Not a deal-breaker.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I don't think BC Hydro will bypass its procedures for some anniversary event. It will likely take the usual 3-4 months to activate from the time they started the project. Same goes for all the new SC's along HWY 97 and HWY 3. It's like clockwork, the SC's in Princeton, West Kelowna, Coquitlam and North Vancouver all took exactly 3-4 months to have BC Hydro meters installed and then activated by Tesla. But on the bright side, likely by the end of 2021, we'll have much of BC's major routes covered.

I don't think BC Hydro will bypass its procedures for some anniversary event. It will likely take the usual 3-4 months to activate from the time they started the project. Same goes for all the new SC's along HWY 97 and HWY 3. It's like clockwork, the SC's in Princeton, West Kelowna, Coquitlam and North Vancouver all took exactly 3-4 months to have BC Hydro meters installed and then activated by Tesla. But on the bright side, likely by the end of 2021, we'll have much of BC's major routes covered.
I agree it could take some time. I went by on Friday, June 17 and the meter was still not installed. Highly unlikely it's there today. I called the Travel Centre and they confirmed they are not working yet. Hopefully soon

Last edited: