TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger- Houston Northwest Freeway

Discussion in 'Texas' started by TexasEV, Apr 15, 2018.

1. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Austin to Houston on US 290 will soon be supercharged. Permit issued for 14620 Northwest Fwy. (just east of San Houston Tollway). It’s behind the Rudy’s BBQ.
    WebFOCUS Report
    This will be very convenient for traffic between Houston and the north side of Austin, rather than using I-10 and Hwy. 71 route through Columbus.

• Informative x 3
  2. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

Is that a permit? Or a utility locator request?

3. TexasEV

That is a building permit. There also is a utility locator request last week that says trenching for conduit behind the building, so construction is imminent if it hasn’t started already.

• Informative x 2
  4. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

Probably should be moved to under the Texas Supercharger forum category?

• Like x 1
  5. Fiver

Fiver Active Member

6. MrTofuDragon

MrTofuDragon Member

Thanks for the heads up! This will be infinitely more convenient for me since I always use 290 going from Pflugerville to Houston. I should probably read up on it, but how long does it usually take for the construction of a supercharger station like this?

7. STDRDC13

STDRDC13 Member

Another shot from City of Houston building permit search page.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  8. LonestarV

LonestarV Member

9. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

That's pretty specific about it being a supercharger :)

10. STDRDC13

STDRDC13 Member

Stopped by the Rudy's BBQ and there is definitely some staging of equipment happening. Appears to be 14 parking stalls blocked off....But until I see the Tesla equipment I'm holding off on alerting you know who.

Did see a MS in the parking lot with a personalized plate with Tesla's first name.

Attached Files:

11. TexasEV

The building permit page I linked to two days ago to start this thread said Tesla supercharging station. Not sure why the “another shot” makes it more specific for you.

Happened to be driving to Houston today and I took similar photos as STDRDC13 just posted, so I won’t bother posting them. Area cordoned off and construction equip there ready to dig, but no broken ground yet.

12. STDRDC13

STDRDC13 Member

Thanks goes to TexasEV for locating the permit...I'm local and will run by weekly (probably more often) and check on the status of construction updating the thread.

13. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

No doubt here, I just skipped to the end of the thread playing catch-up :rolleyes:

14. STDRDC13

STDRDC13 Member

Stopped by and talked to the guys...They are trenching for the main line, transformer and equipment pads

Construction is officially underway @BlueShift

Attached Files:

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  15. STDRDC13

STDRDC13 Member

Tesla equipment arrived while I was visiting with the GC...definitely appears to be an 8 pedestal supercharger location.

Tesla equipment pad is formed and UG conduits are in place. Transformer pad is formed with conduit yet to go. CenterPoint electric pole location is marked with a stake and trench for primary feeders has been dug.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 1
  16. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. Ludicrous Radiologist

Urban chargers or 120 kW chargers??

17. STDRDC13

STDRDC13 Member

They are NOT urban chargers, but unsure if they are 120 or 135 kW...I'll stop by and have a peek at the rating. They literally unloaded while I was there and I felt it a bit much to start unwrapping the equipment looking about.

I'll post a pic of the labels confirming power rating as soon as I can.

• Informative x 1
  18. TexasEV

No such thing as 120kW chargers now. They’re 135kW, with the max going to one of the paired cars car being 120kW.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  19. STDRDC13

STDRDC13 Member

Just a few additional UG conduits with stub ups ran over the weekend and some sawcuts to concrete where pedestals will sit. These pedestals will be situated front of curb as opposed to back of curb in the landscaping or grass. It also appears they will be running parallel to the parking stalls (based on the sawcuts) and will basically be positioned on the painted parking stall lines. Not my favorite setup as I feel it increases the risk of damage sitting on the front side of the curb in the parking lot, but I'm local and will rarely charge here. Included a picture of the form for the charging pedestal base.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  20. gallen511

gallen511 Member

I will go buy today and see it for myself...