Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hudson, MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pinball_player we definitely need to organize a meet up there. Wonder where we could have a sit down and eat....Panera Bread is the Tesla go to for this activity it appears. I travel 495 every day so any weekday after 3pm would be fine with me. Who is going to be the first one to charge there??

Pinball_player we definitely need to organize a meet up there. Wonder where we could have a sit down and eat....Panera Bread is the Tesla go to for this activity it appears. I travel 495 every day so any weekday after 3pm would be fine with me. Who is going to be the first one to charge there??

Likely not me. Starting tomorrow night, I'll be traveling until the 30th, then from the 5th until 12th, car will be in the shop for PPF.

But my parents live in Hudson, so I'm sure I'll use it at some point.

Drove by this morning (Friday 28Dec) and not much has changed. The parking spots are not finished, and the pedestals have not been installed yet.
I doubt it will be operational by end of year 2018.
I don't think there has been any major progress in weeks. Sorry to sound pesimistic, but one big snow storm will bury the construction site until March, preventing any progress. It's a shame they didn't get more completed before winter.

Pads poured today...blankets will go down tonight for the final cure...then fit-up and power-up in a couple weeks!!
IMG_3006.JPG

Supercharger with a super-view...

Pads poured today...blankets will go down tonight for the final cure...then fit-up and power-up in a couple weeks!!
View attachment 365526
Supercharger with a super-view...

Considering the potential go-live being in Q1 now....here's hoping that this ends up being one of the first v3 Superchargers on the East Coast. (unless they've secretly been doing that for the last 6 months or so in other new locations, and it's as simple as pushing an update to either the SC's or the Model 3 fleet......)

Considering that it is only a 750 kVA transformer, and that gives about 600 kW of power, there is no way that they will be able to push more than about 120 kW per super charger (the 80% duty cycle of 600 kW / 4)

So I doubt that this is a V3 super charger. And what is a V3 super charger anyways? There are no vehicles that can use that amount of power, and there has not been any specifications for V3 released.

• Informative
Reactions: Tdreamer
Considering that it is only a 750 kVA transformer, and that gives about 600 kW of power, there is no way that they will be able to push more than about 120 kW per super charger (the 80% duty cycle of 600 kW / 4)

So I doubt that this is a V3 super charger. And what is a V3 super charger anyways? There are no vehicles that can use that amount of power, and there has not been any specifications for V3 released.

The theoretical numbers look good, and in teardowns, it's already been shown that the 3 appears more robust than the current S or X....

You Think The Tesla Model 3 Supercharges Fast Now? Just Wait ...

The theoretical numbers look good, and in teardowns, it's already been shown that the 3 appears more robust than the current S or X....

You Think The Tesla Model 3 Supercharges Fast Now? Just Wait ...
This is all well and good, but the power supplied for this location is only adequate to supply 120 kW per super charger port pair. I truly feel sorry for someone who pulls into a super charger port paired with an empty Model 3 Long range. They will get at most 10 kW maybe!

I also wonder if the battery in the 3 can take the increased current...

But if this is the case, my lowly 75D which only can charge up to about 100 kW seems antiquated now compared to the 3! Of course I get free electrons for the life of the car.

I truly feel sorry for someone who pulls into a super charger port paired with an empty Model 3 Long range. They will get at most 10 kW maybe!
You're always guaranteed at least 30kW. Each stack consists of 12 11kW chargers (40A@277V), wired in 4 sets of 3 in a Wye (L-N) configuration. The system switches a whole set of 3 at a time between cars to keep the phases balanced.

Even if a 3LR is pulling 120kW when you plug in, the system immediately switches one set to you, giving you 33kW max (3*40*277) and leaving 99kW for the original car (9*40*277). When the other car tapers below 66kW, it'll switch a second set of 3 to your car.

This is all well and good, but the power supplied for this location is only adequate to supply 120 kW per super charger port pair. I truly feel sorry for someone who pulls into a super charger port paired with an empty Model 3 Long range. They will get at most 10 kW maybe!

I also wonder if the battery in the 3 can take the increased current...

But if this is the case, my lowly 75D which only can charge up to about 100 kW seems antiquated now compared to the 3! Of course I get free electrons for the life of the car.

as part of the teardown mentioned in the article, the cable from the chargeport is larger in the 3 than on S or X, so theoretically, it should be ready for "v3"

and on my way home from VA last week, I ran to this exact scenario. We were below 20% SoC and the only available spot was next to another 3, who was clearly also charging from a low SoC. we started out at 35kW, but within 10 minutes, as he reached his tapering point, we had ramped up to the 118kW max I've come to expect. It really only added about 10 minutes to the charge session, but in other cars, I could see where it would have been longer.

• Informative
Reactions: tga