TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Huntington Beach (permit found, not yet approved)

Discussion in 'California Supercharger locations' started by Chuq, Mar 26, 2018.

1. KirkNason

KirkNason Member

Permitting means it's probably stuck at HB City building office.

2. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

Nothing yet?

3. gsmith63

gsmith63 Member

4. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

I don’t think so. If you read all the details, it seems that it has gone through several different approval processes. The “Hold” status seems to be tied to 11/2017. The most recent activity is on April 12, at which time it says that it is waiting for final signatures. That was three months ago. For all we know, that has also been completed. Perhaps they’re waiting for a construction crew to get over there. Maybe from Carlsbad?

5. gsmith63

gsmith63 Member

I'm no expert on city permitting, but it looks to me like each department has its own approval process, each with its own status and comments section. So approval has been granted by the planning, fire and electrical departments, but Building Department approval is on hold. Also, the overall permit status is still listed as Pending, which would make sense if one or more departments had not completed review. I'm a PR guy, so this is definitely a (barely) educated guess at best. Are there any contractors in the crowd who can more definitively decipher this?

6. Gregsbeach

Gregsbeach Member

I am encouraged because The Tesla coming soon map lists this as opening fall 2018. That sounds like good karma to me.

7. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S/X, California Forums

You might be aware that the Tesla Supercharger map has been known to be a little over-optimistic from time to time... :)

Bruce.

• Funny x 1
  8. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Active Member

The Tesla coming soon map also shows a bunch of Target's in the area opening 2018. I would be very (pleasantly) surprised if it came true.

9. Gregsbeach

Gregsbeach Member

My thought is that the ones that have a target opening in 2018 will slide to 2019

The ones that have specified summer 2018 or fall 2018 will actually be opened by year end

So that means that Carlsbad & Huntington Beach will be opened this year almost all of the others will slide into 2019

If my theory is correct

10. mikeyteh

mikeyteh Member

For every Supercharger that takes too long to get started, we have urban ones like Downey (x2) that come out of nowhere and open quickly. It's a reasonable theory you have, but I also know we don't always see them coming.

11. Jedi2155

Jedi2155 Model 3 has Arrived.

Been going there regularly over the past few weeks (its near my office and I come here for lunch) and still no sign of construction.

• Informative x 2
  12. gsmith63

gsmith63 Member

A couple of weeks ago I e-mailed one of the City of HB inspectors listed in the online permit status check and asked about the supercharger permit. They got back to me within a couple of days, but I've been to busy to post until now. They thought I was from Tesla, which is kind of funny, and gave me the following reply:

"All departments have approved except for Building. Our plan checker wants to meet with a contact over the counter to wrap up the building plan check. Your plan checkers name is [name] and you can contact him directly at [phone] if you have any questions."

(I redacted the guy's name and phone number) Originally I had thought that the permit was dead since everything seemed to have stopped nearly half a year ago. Now it sounds like the city is just waiting on Tesla to get back to them. So, if anyone from Tesla is reading this forum, call the Huntington Beach permitting department!!!

• Like x 3
  13. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

Interesting, there is a SC in north county San Diego that is in exactly the same limbo state. Ie. Just waiting for Tesla to pick up the permit. My guess is that Tesla has decided to slow down SC construction to conserve cash and get to profitability. Annoying, but what are you going do...

14. miimura

miimura Well-Known Member

Once you proceed and get the permit issued, you have a time limit to complete the work. Otherwise you have to pay for an extension. There is no time limit for this limbo state mentioned above, so if they don't intend to put it out to bid soon, they can just leave it like this without consequence. Well, other that it not getting built.

• Informative x 1
  15. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

I would love to have an update on this location. It would be very helpful for me on occasion, but to relieve the super congested FV. Orginally submitted over 1 year ago. Final approval given over 8 months ago. So, what's the hold up???

• Helpful x 1
  16. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

RARE-IT! (Blazing Saddles, Gabby Johnson voice)

17. Jedi2155

Jedi2155 Model 3 has Arrived.

With the recent notification that the Westminster Supercharger being built out, I doubt this one will be available anytime soon since its only about 3 miles away. I suspect that Tesla went with both locations but Westminster ended proceeding faster.

18. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

Has anyone seen any updates to this? Is either Huntington Beach or Westminster moving forward?

19. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

There is a longstanding thread for the Westminister forum at
    Supercharger - Westminster (Construction started Oct/Nov 2018, 24 Urban stalls)

No one has posted any evidence to show that the Huntington Beach Supercharger has started construction. Maybe it has started and we just haven’t found it. Or maybe not.

20. ctiomico2003

ctiomico2003 Member

I was at Bella Terra this weekend and there were no obvious signs of construction or Tesla Boxes out with the superchargers inside.

Will def be after the new year before this one gets opened. At least Westminster is now open so you have someplace decently close to charge.