TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Huntington Beach (permit found, not yet approved)

Discussion in 'California Supercharger locations' started by Chuq, Mar 26, 2018.

1. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

Final approval HASN'T been given. That's the hold up. The permit is still listed as "Pending" and the building subsection plan review is still showing that it has a "hold" for clearance of some problem prior to permit issuance [See Post #32 for further information]. It's only the other review subsections which have given approval.

At least Westminster is open now.

2. KirkNason

KirkNason Member

I have emailed Tesla, and checked with the city planners, nothing has changed on this for over a year. The city planner indicated that the ball is in Tesla's court. Best guess is the chargers would be on the top floor of the parking structure. Parking is very limited around this mall at street level.

3. ctiomico2003

ctiomico2003 Member

Great update. I don't mind if the chargers are on the top floor....will be a pain to get up there....I'm sure a bunch of the Costco shoppers going to FV will be trying to go here.......just shifting the pain probably.

There really isn't a great location for the chargers besides the structures. Everywhere else would pretty much get ICE'd.

4. b0r3dguy

b0r3dguy Member

Anyone heard or seen any updates on this SC site recently?

5. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

I seriously doubt HB will ever happen now that Westminster Mall is open. Every time I’ve gone to Westminster there have been several stalls available, even on the weekends. Those two locations have to be within 3 miles of each other. Unless Westminster becomes so overloaded that it can’t keep up with demand I can’t imagine why Tesla would spend more money to open up Bella Terra.

6. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

To further reduce the crowding at Fountain Valley.

7. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

Maybe, but that is what Westminster was for. I think it’s a mistake to put a Supercharger next to a Costco. Too many people want to shop at Costco and charge at the same time. They need to put superchargers at places nobody likes to shop at. That’s why I can always get a bay at Westminster Mall. The place is dead except for Target.

• Funny x 2
  8. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

Is this site dead?

9. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

In the sense that it is not yet “live”, then yes, “It’s dead Jim”. :cool:

When or if it construction will start, I have no idea.

10. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

It’s too close to the large urban chargers they just did at Westminster mall, just a few miles away

11. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

If that, then having one towards Costa Mesa or Jamboree exit direction would help.

• Like x 1
  12. srvan1

srvan1 Member

Or they could incrementally increase the price per KWH to find a sweet spot of reducing usage. I know this doesn't sound fair, but this is just one solution among others, each has pros and cons.

• Like x 1
  13. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

I generally disagree. People need to charge because they need to charge. Perhaps offloading the crowds by making the price less during off-peak times? Is that done now? Regardless, that is another discussion. It has been quite some time since this permit was initiated. My guess is that this project is dead. Maybe they will re-apply for the permit at another time. I certainly hope so.

14. Jedi2155

Jedi2155 Model 3 has Arrived.

This doesn't work because Tesla keeps offering Free Unlimited Supercharging for X amount of time. For those people, the price has zero impact and only makes it worse for those that really need to charge.

15. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Just wait till you see what happened in Irvine. Almost 100% utilization, and waiting lines.

More Superchargers are welcome no matter where!

16. Kiwiadventure

Kiwiadventure Member

Why would locals supercharge as home is a lot better place and home charging is cheap. If you had some shopping to do and the supercharging was free I would understand or visitors traveling through with their Tesla's.

17. xilex

xilex Model P3D

A lot of people are still condo or apartment living with no access to home charging. Unfortunate consequence of a dense city.

18. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S/X, California Forums

• Like x 1
  19. xilex

xilex Model P3D

Just dropping by to say I saw a sign at the Westminster site this morning that said HB site is coming soon. Could be this one or a different location. Yea, I know, I did not take a photo.

• Informative x 3
  20. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

According to the original permit, there has been no activity since April, 2018. Makes me wonder if there is another site somewhere