Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Huntsville, AL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you engr01!

This is on the west side of Huntsville, north of Redstone / Marshall. Here's the location, next to the Wahlburger's restaurant: Google Maps

Here are two critical images from that PDF.

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

Last edited:
There is a proposed 12 stall supercharger at 5909 University Dr, Huntsville, AL 35806.
Thanks for finding this Supercharger location and including the attachment covering the details of the agreement. This Tesla Supercharger location will prove to be very popular and will drive (pun intended) Huntsville consumers decision's to purchase a Tesla especially if they live in an apartment without a L2 charging opportunity like home owners enjoy within their garages or in their driveways. Get ready Huntsville - Tesla's will soon be seen everywhere in the area in increasing numbers.

The very first Tesla I laid my eyes on was a red Roadster in Huntsville (Governors near Huntsville Hospital) when I lived there (Hampton Cove) in about 2010. That intrigued me and now I’ve been an owner for five years. I’m amazed it has taken this long to get a SuperCharger in Huntsville (or Madison).

Has anyone been to the site recently? I’ll be in town for a wedding next month. This sure would be handy.

Update: As of today (Dec 5th), there has been no visible progress as far as I could tell.
My hopes of charging here on our Christmas visit back home are fading. Looks like another year of hauling it all the way over to Athens. I’m glad they are building this but Huntsville is a tech heavy city, Tesla could sell a LOT of cars here if there was a service center and superchargers for apartment dwellers.

Reactions: tpedwards
...Huntsville is a tech heavy city, Tesla could sell a LOT of cars here if there was a service center and superchargers for apartment dwellers.
In Alabama, it is not legal for a vehicle manufacturer to "own, operate, or control a facility for performance of motor vehicle warranty or repair service work" [Alabama Code Title 8 § 8-20-48(3)(s)]. Automobile dealers basically wrote the laws in the state to protect their own financial interests (and have in many other states). It's also why Tesla cannot open a sales center within the state.

In Alabama, it is not legal for a vehicle manufacturer to "own, operate, or control a facility for performance of motor vehicle warranty or repair service work" [Alabama Code Title 8 § 8-20-48(3)(s)]. Automobile dealers basically wrote the laws in the state to protect their own financial interests (and have in many other states). It's also why Tesla cannot open a sales center within the state.
It is the same in South Carolina. We are two of the few states with the strictest laws.

FWIW Tesla has hired a lobbying firm in South Carolina in order to work on allowing service centers in the state. I imagine they are doing the same in Alabama but it is a 2-3 year process to get a law changed.

I imagine they are doing the same in Alabama but it is a 2-3 year process to get a law changed.
Unfortunately, it isn't that simple, as Tesla's battle with Michigan has taken many years, yet still without productive resolution. There was so much corruption involved that Tesla got railroaded in the end, even after a court settlement, purportedly favorable to Tesla, that let the corruption remain hidden (the lawsuit called for exposure of private communications between the auto-dealers association with the legislators and their family members). I don't think most people have much of an idea about the depth of corruption involved in these quid pro quo laws written by their private beneficiaries.

Unfortunately, it isn't that simple, as Tesla's battle with Michigan has taken many years, yet still without productive resolution. There was so much corruption involved that Tesla got railroaded in the end, even after a court settlement, purportedly favorable to Tesla, that let the corruption remain hidden (the lawsuit called for exposure of private communications between the auto-dealers association with the legislators and their family members). I don't think most people have much of an idea about the depth of corruption involved in these quid pro quo laws written by their private beneficiaries.
Without saying too much, I was only speaking about South Carolina (which I have direct knowledge of) and was projecting that Tesla is surely working on the same in Alabama. How it works exactly in Alabama I do not know but was basing it off my knowledge of South Carolina.

Fortunately Alabama has its reputation as a well-known bastion of forward looking policy going for it. I mean "good ole boys in smoke filled rooms hold no quarter here" is the rallying cry right?

Fortunately Alabama has its reputation as a well-known bastion of forward looking policy going for it. I mean "good ole boys in smoke filled rooms hold no quarter here" is the rallying cry right?
Oh that’s funny right there. The ONLY part of Alabama where good ole boys hold less power is Huntsville. But there is an entirely different sort of politics in Huntsville centered around the largest defense and aerospace contractors.

Oh that’s funny right there. The ONLY part of Alabama where good ole boys hold less power is Huntsville. But there is an entirely different sort of politics in Huntsville centered around the largest defense and aerospace contractors.
It's a state-law issue though, not a local one. So, it doesn't matter how Tesla-forward Huntsville might be, until Tesla can get enough support state-wide to change the law they still can't do anything anywhere. Tesla might try to evade the issue in the same way that they did in New Mexico, by siting a Service Center on sovereign tribal lands. But otherwise, they've got to wait and try to get the law changed in Montgomery.

It's a state-law issue though, not a local one. So, it doesn't matter how Tesla-forward Huntsville might be, until Tesla can get enough support state-wide to change the law they still can't do anything anywhere. Tesla might try to evade the issue in the same way that they did in New Mexico, by siting a Service Center on sovereign tribal lands. But otherwise, they've got to wait and try to get the law changed in Montgomery.
Great idea. I’ll forward to one of my Poarch Creek friends. Might not have land near a major metro area, but you never know…