Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Huntsville, AL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went by a week or two ago, and there was no activity. Oddly, it has disappeared from the Tesla coming soon map, but it was originally expected in Q1 2022. Hopefully it'll get going soon.
That could indicate a deal for the location fell through. I hope not, although it could result in a better location. Where would residents prefer a SuC location for yourself or for visitors?

That could indicate a deal for the location fell through. I hope not, although it could result in a better location. Where would residents prefer a SuC location for yourself or for visitors?

I charge at home, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I would call this location fair to good for locals that need to supercharge. It's a developing area that has a few things to do while waiting, and those are bound to get better. However, getting in and out is not always quick.

That last reason is also why I'd rate it a fair to bad location for pass through travelers. This location is a significant detour from Interstate 565, which I suspect carries most of the pass through traffic, particularly ones heading on to Interstate 65 south.

Living in Florida now, I've learned most supercharger locations never appear on the Coming Soon map even once they are under construction. I don't think Huntsville ever was on that map, and we know Leeds and Robertsdare are both getting one but are also not on the map.

I would call this location fair to good for locals that need to supercharge. It's a developing area that has a few things to do while waiting, and those are bound to get better. However, getting in and out is not always quick.

That last reason is also why I'd rate it a fair to bad location for pass through travelers. This location is a significant detour from Interstate 565, which I suspect carries most of the pass through traffic, particularly ones heading on to Interstate 65 south.
Huntsville, itself, is a significant destination for a number of reasons. For folks coming to Huntsville from any direction other than south on I-65, Athens is too far out of the way.

Agreed. It's in a decent spot as a destination charger for out of town visitor.
I guess I was assuming it would be targeted for individuals coming to Huntsville. Athens is not great for Huntsville. We usually approach Huntsville via Ardmore. Not much to do there, however, without making a significant jaunt off the path.
For Huntsville proper, I would rather have seen Town Center or even downtown as a Supercharger site.

Agreed. It's in a decent spot as a destination charger for out of town visitor.
In Tesla-speak “destination charger” connotates an L2 not a Supercharger.

But agree the City of Huntsville needs a Supercharger at their pet pork project to draw affluent spenders. Just as Birmingham did for Uptown.

No one will divert from I-65 to explicitly use this Supercharger but the combination of Supercharger and something else of interest might tempt one away from the Athens Supercharger.

In Tesla-speak “destination charger” connotates an L2 not a Supercharger.

But agree the City of Huntsville needs a Supercharger at their pet pork project to draw affluent spenders. Just as Birmingham did for Uptown.

No one will divert from I-65 to explicitly use this Supercharger but the combination of Supercharger and something else of interest might tempt one away from the Athens Supercharger.
Yes I'm aware destination chargers are typically Level 2. I only used that word in the context of Tesla owners who might stay multiple days in town with no other charging option.

Huntsville has lots of young upwardly mobile professional families that choose to live in apartments with no possibility of L2 overnight charging. This is definitely a segment of the demographic Tesla is aiming to sell EV's to.
Meh. Developers would include EV charging in apartment complexes if they thought they could attract prosperous renters. But (especially in Alabama) that target audience purchases houses.

Once Upon A Time apartments thought it “good enough” to provide a laundromat. Today the very least is washer and dryer hookups in-apartment.

The Huntsville Supercharger is co-located at the Huntsville City Council’s pet crony capitalist project (akin to Birmingham’s Uptown). Is not anywhere one would wish to park 30 minutes a couple times per week just to charge. Especially if one is subject to unattended fees after the vehicle has charged before one finishes eating.