Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Huntsville, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have need to charge here on the way to Houston in the next few days. Just checking to see if this place is generally busy or stalls generally available? Also anything to eat in walking distance?

Your best bet is either walk over to Mama Juanita's or drive though (or pop into) the McDonald's, depending on how much time you want to spend.

As for how busy it can get, it's a small (6 stall) station, so it can go from ghost town to Times Square (and vise versa) pretty quickly.

Your best bet is either walk over to Mama Juanita's or drive though (or pop into) the McDonald's, depending on how much time you want to spend.

As for how busy it can get, it's a small (6 stall) station, so it can go from ghost town to Times Square (and vise versa) pretty quickly.
Thanks I was there last Monday, and I charged on the way back from Houston. Was down to 10% when I plugged in. I was the only one. Walked over to the Mama Junitas Mexican and had a nice dinner. The charge was over 90% before we could even finish the meal. The charge rate was around 100 KW for until it got to 50% and then tapered down.

Reactions: TexLaw
Thanks I was there last Monday, and I charged on the way back from Houston. Was down to 10% when I plugged in. I was the only one. Walked over to the Mama Junitas Mexican and had a nice dinner. The charge was over 90% before we could even finish the meal. The charge rate was around 100 KW for until it got to 50% and then tapered down.
I charged there again yesterday, and it was FULL. I was down to 40 miles of range, but it never got up beyond 60kw. As people left I tried different stalls and it was the same, between 55 to 60kw. Got frustrated and decided to leave after 20 minutes to drive down to Corsicana. Also I noticed this time around, I never got the message, "preheating battery for optimal supercharging" which typically comes around 10 minutes before you reach supercharger.

Is this a V3?

I charged there again yesterday, and it was FULL. I was down to 40 miles of range, but it never got up beyond 60kw. As people left I tried different stalls and it was the same, between 55 to 60kw. Got frustrated and decided to leave after 20 minutes to drive down to Corsicana. Also I noticed this time around, I never got the message, "preheating battery for optimal supercharging" which typically comes around 10 minutes before you reach supercharger.

Is this a V3?
No V3 at this location. I know there was issues happening at the Rudy's off of 290. A few weeks back I was approached by one of the SC techs that mention they are working on the issue here. He mention sometimes power is not constant on Texas's grid due to the wind power. If you look closely at the picture. you will see they were installing boxes on each one of the back cabinets. What are they? Capacitors, batteries?

PXL_20210415_212210571.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Electroman
No V3 at this location. I know there was issues happening at the Rudy's off of 290. A few weeks back I was approached by one of the SC techs that mention they are working on the issue here. He mention sometimes power is not constant on Texas's grid due to the wind power. If you look closely at the picture. you will see they were installing boxes on each one of the back cabinets. What are they? Capacitors, batteries?

View attachment 659213
The little boxes are for voltage regulation. The boxes have been installed at other sites, but have usually been installed when the site was originally set up.

• Informative
Reactions: Darmie
I'm pretty sure this is the worst SC I've been to, ever. Hope Tesla polishes this turd a little. If all the stalls at least worked as advertised, that would be a nice start...
Another thing that sucks is that the hotel allows ICE cars to park in one of the supercharging parking spaces. Once there was a line of Teslas waiting to charge while a truck was parked in a supercharging space. I asked the hotel clerk to ask the guest to move the truck but the clerk said that they don't track guests' cars.

Reactions: Needsdecaf
Heard reports this had a 10 plus car line today. This SC the worst. You’re better off charging heavy at Corsicana and skipping it and hitting Houston North if you’re going 45.
Sometimes that North Houston can be a crap shoot. Not enough spaces and so busy. Good spot with Strips through the gate. Good bathrooms. Great coffee and all kinds of food and other drinks.

What’s wrong with Columbus? Pulled 130KW there once with our MX Standard.
Last time I was there two of the stalls were dead, one was barely functional and of the remaining three only one would give more than 50k, but at least it gave me more the 100k.
If there are more than a few cars there everyone gets a subpar charging experience that can't be relied upon for road trip.
This was one of the older 120K superchargers, so much easier to avoid Columbus altogether and hit Flatonia/Katy/Giddings (all 150K) depending on your journey.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Not really. I was there Friday afternoon charging. All but one stall in use, and I was pulling just over 30 KW. Couple folks were waiting to charge after I got there. And the one stall in use was blocked by ICE. Still no clue why they allow non Tesla vehicles to park in 2 of those spots. There were a ton of empty parking spots on the east side of the hotel, but I guess that additional 50 feet or so to walk is just too much for some people.

• Informative
Reactions: TexasDuke