Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Huntsville, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Needed some "driving therapy" so took a long lunch and buzzed over to Hunstville.

Pulled up to 3B and was getting amazing charging speed early on:
20180817_124935.jpg

..but then about 15 minutes in the stall derped out on me and said something along the lines of "there is a problem with the stall". As a newb, should I report that to someone somewhere or is there automagic monitoring of stuff like that?

Anyhow, moved over to 1A and finished the session with no issues.

The Huntsville SC is having some major issues. I tried to call Tesla on Friday and Sunday about it, but the waits were over an hour both times.

Both 2 A&B are out of commission although their lights are on. 3 A&B the lights are off, but they do deliver some power, but not much. 1A and 1B are hit or miss on the power output. On Sunday night there was a M3 on 1B while I was on 1A. After charging for about 1-2 minutes the power would shut off with a message to check charge handle. The charge ring on my car would be red and when I would click the button to pull it out of the car I could see the M3 indicator light come on red. After I pulled the handle out of my car the M3 would turn blue and I reinserted the charge handle into my car. Both cars would be blue and I could hear a bunch of clicks from the charge cabinets behind the fence. After about 30 seconds there would be another click and the cars would signal green and start charging for a few minutes. After about the 4th or 5th restart it charged for a good 10 minutes and I had enough juice to make it home so I left. I don't know if Tesla monitors these forums, or if someone here has an email for SC support, but we need to report these and get them repaired.

The Huntsville SC is having some major issues. I tried to call Tesla on Friday and Sunday about it, but the waits were over an hour both times.

I once quizzed phone support about reporting SC issues. They said you can’t report it by email, you have to phone it in, so I always call when I start charging and wait for them to pick up. They usually pick up before I unplug. Their support guy encouraged me to keep calling in problems, so I don’t think they’re aware of these outages unless we call.

Right now the Nav reports that 4 of 6 stalls are available in Huntsville. It should report reduced service if they were aware of the problem.

On 12-Déc, only four stalls were operating. Stalls 3a and 3b were not charging due to low power supply. Expect long wait times. It will be good to see reports from users for this busy holiday weekend/week.
Charged on 3A morning of Jan 4 for about 7-8 min (enough to safely make it home coming across from Alexandria in the cold). Was getting 90kW. The top display light wasn't only though, I assume because someone knocked 3B (which also wasn't lit) off kilter?

stopped to supercharge here today. the hotel (holiday inn express) is no longer allowing use of the lobby bathroom. and not nice about it either.....this is a very recent change in policy.
Maybe because of COVID. Inability to trace if one of use transmits the virus to others there, there would be no way of tracing our use of the facilities. (The only probable explanation I can think of.)

stopped to supercharge here today. the hotel (holiday inn express) is no longer allowing use of the lobby bathroom. and not nice about it either.....this is a very recent change in policy.

We were there on 8/7 and that policy was in effect already. Walked in with my kids and reception basically barked at us that it was hotel guests only. We left and ended up waiting to hit the restroom at the McDonald's up the road.

We charged in Columbus back in July, and the hotel there also has a sign about only hotel guests being able to use the bathrooms. We didn't walk in, so I can't comment if they were nice/not nice about it. There are other options there at least including a gas station where we ended up going.

• Informative
Reactions: TexasDuke
I have need to charge here on the way to Houston in the next few days. Just checking to see if this place is generally busy or stalls generally available? Also anything to eat in walking distance?

The last time I was in this route was over 2 years ago and there was a ton of construction on I45 that forced the traffic off the highway to local roads for nearly 5 miles. Delayed me by an hour. I presume the construction is all completed now?

The supercharger can get busy at times. I don't know if this has been fixed recently, but it has always been plagued by intermittent power output. Either the charge rate would drop significantly or the car would suddenly stop charging. I haven't been there since last year, but at that time I called the Tesla number to report the issue. It was affecting multiple stalls.

As for the food, there are some fast food outlets to the North - I walked to one of them following the service road shoulder.

upload_2020-10-22_7-57-48.png

Last edited:
Availability has been good the last few times I've been there, maybe one or two other cars charging. Haven't had issues with power reliability either. This is from three visits within the last six months. I'd personally just hit up Mama Juanitas for food (been there several times not related to charging and it's decent). The rest of the area isn't particularly friendly to foot traffic.